Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #14911
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 994
Stop it. You're giving us hooligans a bad name!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #14912
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,788
I've heard that hooliganism leads to loose axles and clunks over topes.
Maduro's little Venezuelan bird was in the tree outside the Mystery Rider's garage the other day...
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #14913
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,800
Our man SR in San Antonio at Casona Tricepilot on his way to MotoGP

Here is his hitch rack he had shipped to me among other goodies

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #14914
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Trice, you guys pick up that 3M tape yet?
I swapped out my oil pan last Saturday and have yet to bother taking the tape off the old one. Stuff sticks very, very well, it does come off clean with some effort, this really contributes to its usefulness and durability. I swear I could have just patched it again and it would hold for the same duration.
SR could probably use it where he rides! I didn't "baby" the repair, just used the bike as normal and as intended here.

Now, if I could find out what kind of metal the old oil pan is, I could get someone to weld up the crease and crack and have a spare.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #14915
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey Trice, you guys pick up that 3M tape yet?
I did I did

I think it's great stuff
Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #14916
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

WeazyBuddha picks up a free pair of Avon Gripsters from me on his way to MotoGP

Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #14917
aadal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
AADL from Denmark, if you are looking for some good riding and interesting things, go to Papantla from Poza Rica, it is very close and you can visit the ruins of El Tajin. From there, head to Tlapacoyan and from there to Altotonga. Go from Altotonga to Perote and from Perote to Guadalupe Victoria, Puebla on the high plain, next head south to Ciudad Serdan on the old 5 haciendas route. Take note of the mountain range on your left as you just missed some of the best riding in Mexico but you would need a couple of days to take it all in. From Ciudad Serdan head to Azumbilla, then to Tehuacan and then down into Oaxaca on the "via rapida" (it is worth the half price discount you get). If you don't have to rush to Oaxaca, and you are going to stay in Ciudad Serdan, PM me and I will send you a route that will put a real big smile on your face.

This routing keeps you off the coast highway Mex #180 which is a seriously boring and messy stretch of road, especially with a north wind coming through like it is today. If you do the coastal route you will have the wind at your back but you will have truck after truck swerving around on the highway heading towards you as they move around a lot in the high winds. Add blowing sand and dirt and crap into that mix and it is misery.

If you are coming back through this area, PM me with your email address and I will send you a PDF ride guide file for the area here where I live.
The only interesting part of the Mex #180 is the stretch through the Tuxtlas but you will not likely be heading that way if you are heading into Oaxaca. If you do, you will be kicking yourself for what you missed.
Papantla - check, did that yesterday
El Tajin - Today as i got there 17:10 yesterday, park closes at 17 :-/ Anyway got there this morning in the rain, and spend too much time there, because it is simply a wonderfull place with the all pyramids and should not be missed. :-)
So I decided to stay a day more here at a friends place. And get up really early tomorrow and head for Oaxaca. And on the way go though Puebla, maybe see if i can get a peek at the of the recently active volcan(don't know if it still smokes) and then south, and it will all be "quota" because of time, I took the "libre" over the mountains when arriving here wich was slow but worth the time, nice with the lake deep below to ones right hand side at Nuevo Necaxa
But now I seem to be in doubt again the route you suggest look more like me, and I don't think I have the time to get to know Puebla as one should anyway, volcano I plan on seeing in Antigua also.. hmm
Here is Tajin on a rainy day but VERY nice place.
aadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #14918
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,016
Well I have sold a couple of motos since I returned home a couple weeks ago from a three month trip down to Panama! I want to sell one or two more. Plus I started "showing" my house today. I still have not decided where in Mexico I will live, if I actually have an address anywhere, but I am definitely headed in that direction! Of course I will be traveling some where else 50% of the time. You can't stay in Mexico all of the time!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #14919
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Why not?

Can't stay in Mexico all of the time? Come on Donny.... you have been here more than there... I think it has grown on you... how is your daughter doing? We haven't heard about her in awhile.

RMO
Old 04-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #14920
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Can't stay in Mexico all of the time? Come on Donny.... you have been here more than there... I think it has grown on you... how is your daughter doing? We haven't heard about her in awhile.

RMO

There is Central America, South America and Europe that needs to be ridden and seen.

Tracy is still a long way from having normal vision. At 10 feet, she can recognize me, but she can't see me clearly. At two or three feet, she can see her daughter clearly, but mostly in black and white. She can't work or drive a car. She is home bound unless she goes some where with her husband. They say that she will eventually regain her normal sight, but it has been nine months so far!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #14921
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
. I highly recommend this trip...especially if the "cute Chinese couple" happen to be female acrobats.

One of my favorite Florida dive bars is a place called the Showtime in a little town called Gibsonton. The town is a centered around carny and circus performers who winter and eventually retire there.

Moral of the story is that if you want a pair of female Chinese acrobats - or Croatian, or Serbian, or Romanian Gypsy for that matter - the odds are good that we can find 'em ;)

Ah yes ... Memories ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #14922
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I have been asked once or twice by Banjercito staff to present my title but I always show the reg and they've always accepted it. Possibly just a language skill issue. I find nothing on Banjercito's web site requiring a title over registration.

They have ask for my Title the last couple of times crossing at Nuevo Laredo if I remember correctly.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #14923
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Aadl, I dont think you have done mountain route via Saltillo La Fragua nor Rafael Garcia nor the Laguna de Patlanalan, yet.
To go to Oaxaca via Puebla is a big jog to the west and though the city is great, you will miss the old hacienda route via Guadalupe Victoria to Ciudad Serdan and the high plain. Do it on the way back. Dont forget the Cemita sandwich with papalo in Puebla. Weather is going to be much better on Sunday and very warm next week.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #14924
tomcat9
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
OK, we arrived in Chihuahua and learned that they don't just wait for me to get a room. I didn't got a room at the Maria Dolores because it was already full. But they were very nice and helped me to get one at the El Campanario Hotel. Tury is here and I have to go.....

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
tomcat9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #14925
tomcat9
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
The first day in Mexico was great. The people, also on the checkpoints, were very friendly and at the evening Tury took the time to meet us and we had dinner and the promised dos X.
I am not sure the picture will upload.
Looking forward to the ride tomorrow....

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
tomcat9 is offline   Reply With Quote