Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #14971
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Turkey, by IDs do you mean the Visa card or an actual ID?

Similar story, when my visa went to Immigrante, I was no longer able to extend the TVIP. As I became more Mexican I had the same reduced rights to use a foreign vehicle as Mexicans have .

I wouldn't know about Brokers in Nogales but they are as common as Casas Del Cambio in Nuevo Laredo. The bigger ones have websites and will give you an online quote or a phone quote. Some are actually licensed brokers and others are just store fronts that get your business and contract with a licensed broker. The store front type take longer.
SR, The card will be my Mexican ID and no longer a visa. It will be similar to the elector card. I have not seen it yet so I don't know.

I don't have to go back to immigration ever again and can now apply for Mexican citizenship if I desire. I have a line on a broker in Nogales. He imported 2 cars for my construction foreman. Just waiting to have the card in my hand and trying to figure out the new pollution inspection rules on the cars.
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #14972
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,050
Even with the full on migrado status, you are obligated to inform migracion of change of civil status, home address, and place/type of work.
The nice part is not having to pay anything nor go in every year!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #14973
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Careful, don't become too Mexican or you'll have a hard time getting back into the US.
Hey SR, you make it sound like thats a bad thing...

Hey Turkey creek, I thought the Permanent resident ID, that I will have in November was only good for 10 years and then back to immigration?

I am still trying to figure out what to do with my Gringo plated bike now that I can't extend my TVIP...
Take it back out and then import it?

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #14974
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Careful, don't become too Mexican or you'll have a hard time getting back into the US. FYO I think they only allow you to import 2 vehicles a year per person.

Careful, don't become too Mexican or you'll have a hard time getting back into the US. FYO I think they only allow you to import 2 vehicles a year per person.
I'll import 2, my wife will import 1. Worried about my Triumph though, since it not of NAFTA origin. There are other ways though.

I was in the US for the 1st time in 5 months 2 weeks a ago to ride the Rt666 loop through Alpine AZ. Culture shock.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #14975
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
Hey SR, you make it sound like thats a bad thing...

Hey Turkey creek, I thought the Permanent resident ID, that I will have in November was only good for 10 years and then back to immigration?

I am still trying to figure out what to do with my Gringo plated bike now that I can't extend my TVIP...
Take it back out and then import it?
We will either get Mexican citizenship or be dead in 10 years so it won't be a problem. It is a myth that you have to sing the Hymno Nacional to be sworn in. You do not loses US citizenship but you give up the right to call on the US consul to bail you out of trouble (which they don't do anyway)

Going south - Import the bike, cleanest way. I have heard 2 stories.

Story 1. The Mexican DMV types take your title but don't communicate with the state that issued it. This would mean that you can contact your state and get a duplicate title and have it registered in both countries if you want.

Story 2 is that they send it to your state and you are done and you can't re-import the vehicle to the US.

There are always 2 stories if not more in Mexico. Anyone have a definitive answer?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #14976
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I'll import 2, my wife will import 1. Worried about my Triumph though, since it not of NAFTA origin. There are other ways though.

I was in the US for the 1st time in 5 months 2 weeks a ago to ride the Rt666 loop through Alpine AZ. Culture shock.
My dad, RW66, imported his Triumph a couple years ago. Maybe he'll come along and enlighten us on the process, because I don't remember the details.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #14977
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
They were saying that 250cc and below is now super low tax or tax free?
YIPPEE!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #14978
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Donno about bringing the bike back, except to say that imported it is worth more in Mexico than it ever will be back in the US. So sell it in Mexico and buy a new one in the US. My guess is that it is not a serious problem. You will have to pay a bunch of back registration if you take it back to the state it came from.

Bring some lube to the Mexican Aduana office! 38% tax, plus fees for a new Japanese bike. I think the percentage goes down as the bike gets older, but I'm not sure about that. It should be less for a NAFTA bike if you don't mind riding a Harley. They were saying that 250cc and below is now super low tax or tax free?
I'm talking about the cars, a '97 ford Expedition and an '05 Chevy Suburban. They will be taxed between 8 and 16% from what I have been told. The Chevy was built in Mexico but I doubt the argument that I'm just repatriating a Mexican car and it shouldn't be taxed will fly.

The '06 Triumph is the worry since one expat forum site said VINs that start with letters are a no go.

In any case, I'm still waiting for my final docs before I can do anything. I'll report on the entire sorry mess.

On another note, the Banjercito in Naco, open Thursday afternoon through Sunday, is an easy and pleasant place to get a TVIP. I think the agent's name is Adriana and she is usually the only one who works the office. Pleasant, efficient, speaks perfect English and is quite nice to look at.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #14979
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Story 2 is that they send it to your state and you are done and you can't re-import the vehicle to the US.

There are always 2 stories if not more in Mexico. Anyone have a definitive answer?
The definitive answer in Mexico is always "Depende"
....just messin with you, but you left yourself wide open on that one

However, if you are worried about getting a Mexican license plate, then they are about 100 MXN at the Moto Tianguis on Sunday morning in Guadalajara.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #14980
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
The definitive answer in Mexico is always "Depende"
....just messin with you, but you left yourself wide open on that one

However, if you are worried about getting a Mexican license plate, then they are about 100 MXN at the Moto Tianguis on Sunday morning in Guadalajara.
It is always different for each visit to a government office. Rules change, get reinterpreted or the agents just make shit up. Always an adventure.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #14981
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Turkeycreek

Quote:

You should not have any issues with importing a Triumph....my understanding of the law is that you can import any motorcycle any year paying 15% duty and 15% IVA...this is based on the invoice that you have on the bike......I am not sure how they determine the value if you have owned the bike for several years before you import it....I purchased both of mine used right before I imported them. You will need the social s number of the person you purchase the bike from if it is a personal purchase....you will probably pay a broker fee to the broker that does the paper work....I have imported an 08 KLR 650 and a Triumph 885. The same 15% and 15 % applied to both bikes. I plan on importing a new....or almost new Tenere before I retire. If I get it new I may put it in my sons name and then buy it from him for obvious reasons...
I don't know if this helps any but it is what I have done....by the way my FM-3 expires in July so I plan on getting the permanent visa, FM-3 is not available any more from what I understand. From what they told me is that you have to keep your address current, but not much more. I guess I will find out.
Good luck with the importation....I love having Mex plates on my bikes.
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #14982
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=SR;21267136]Donno about bringing the bike back, except to say that imported it is worth more in Mexico than it ever will be back in the US. So sell it in Mexico and buy a new one in the US. My guess is that it is not a serious problem. You will have to pay a bunch of back registration if you take it back to the state it came from.

Agree with SR....not a lot of need to take a bike back to sell it....also no need that I have found to have it plated in the states either. I get US insurance before I cross to the US like all Mex cars. I have ridden all over Texas and Arizona I have not seen any need to have US plates...and having Mex plates in Mexico is a treat compared to temp import...
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #14983
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Just got a quote to import the vehicles from a broker in Nogales. $800 for the '06 Tiger (KBB high retail is $5200) That looks like about 15% to me. The cars are not that bad either.

I will get other quotes and collect my notes for a single post in the future.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #14984
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Keep us posted

Quote:
Just got a quote to import the vehicles from a broker in Nogales. $800 for the '06 Tiger (KBB high retail is $5200) That looks like about 15% to me. The cars are not that bad either.

I will get other quotes and collect my notes for a single post in the future.

15% sounds like half of the story.....I hope you are right....I am sure I have not imported my last bike, so I'm excited to see how this turns out
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #14985
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
I'm talking about the cars, a '97 ford Expedition and an '05 Chevy Suburban. They will be taxed between 8 and 16% from what I have been told. The Chevy was built in Mexico but I doubt the argument that I'm just repatriating a Mexican car and it shouldn't be taxed will fly.

The '06 Triumph is the worry since one expat forum site said VINs that start with letters are a no go.

In any case, I'm still waiting for my final docs before I can do anything. I'll report on the entire sorry mess.

On another note, the Banjercito in Naco, open Thursday afternoon through Sunday, is an easy and pleasant place to get a TVIP. I think the agent's name is Adriana and she is usually the only one who works the office. Pleasant, efficient, speaks perfect English and is quite nice to look at.
Pics please.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote