User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Original tool kit...

So, I don't fancy buying the original toolkit for my frankenbeemer, mainly on cost grounds. I reckon it will be ok to put my own together...

What was in the original?

What do airhead riders carry as an 'on the road' tool kit?
ianhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
This is the tool kit for the /2. The /5 and /6 kit was similar, except it had a 36mm ring spanner instead of the 41, and a couple of other minor differences. The /5 and /6 had a 22mm for the axle nuts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MOTORCYC...d38ee3&vxp=mtr
"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,650
Loads of info on the factory kits here: http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/toolkit/index.htm In addition to this I carry; 2 x 12mm box end for valve adjustment, 13mm box end and socket with stubby ratchet, 10mm box end and socket with short extension for battery connections etc, 11mm box end for brake fittings, small needle nose vise grip pliers, small adjustable wrench for when something falls off a friends Harley, allen sockets in all the factory sizes, feeler gauge and a spark plug gapping tool...
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
rambozo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
One useful thing that's in the tool kit is a skinny 10mm spanner that's for the
driveshaft bolts, it's maybe worth buying if you can get it as a single cheap, I
can't remember off hand but the other end of that spanner might be a thin
wall 12mm for the bevel box to swing arm nuts? I did grind down a 12 for that job
before I got the tool kit

It is dear but I have to say I really like my bmw tool kit, I only have one so I
change it from bike to bike, only things I've added to it are the c spanner for
headstock bearings, the double wrench for s/arm pivots and fork bolts and I
carry some mini vise grips. And the obligatory cable ties and a length of wire
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,966
You will likely not save much money unless you already have bunches of metric wrenches.

The wrench Ramboz speaks of is 71 11 1 237 847. It is a flat 10 x 12 mm box wrench and most helpful for valve adjustments. You also need another open end wrench in 12 mm and an open end in 10 mm.

You need open end 24 mm and open end 17 mm for petcock service.

A 22 mm wrench for axle nuts.

15 mm sockets to fit head nuts.

Various other wrenches in sizes 13 mm, 16 mm, 19 mm, 8 mm, etc.

The Hex keys needed are 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8. Metric of course.

The Hook wrench is needed for fork work, 71 11 1 237 858.

A ring spanner that fits the fork top nut and the lock nuts on the swing arm, 71 11 1 237 857.

Feeler gauges, test light, exhaust nut wrench, etc.

I carry a pair of needle nose pliers, a wire cutter plier and the Heyco Channel Locks.

All this is probably just a beginning.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the info, advice and such...

i guess it would actually cost a fair bit to assemble a kit from scratch. i do have several sets of metric spanners and allen keys and such so i have a bit of a start tbh. i reckon i would need to add a few new items, like an exhaust wrench for example, but i will need to buy these anyway so thats not a major issue...

following the links to the toolkit pictures and contents leads me to wonder something though. exactly how big are the toolkits when packed and fitted to the bike?
Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 AM   #7
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,007
I would consider the tool kit by Motobins if I were in the UK: http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...search=1&go=GO

Motobins also sells the 'official' BMW toolkit: http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...search=1&go=GO

The tool kits fit under the seat in the fiberglass tray. I can fit a BMW tool kit along with some other tools in that space. Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,966
Which brings us to the point as it ALWAYS does, "What year is the bike? And model?" The link posted above is a 1985 and above. It has a lug nut wrench. Won't work on my 1975 R90/6. It think it works on those weird GS and G/S rear wheels. That kit also does not have the swing arm socket wrench or the fork tube pin wrench. So in a nutshell it doesn't work very well for anything before 1985.

More notes for assembling a tool kit. The wrenches and Hex keys in the OEM tool kit are top quality. If you are newer to mechanics you may not have figure this out yet but there is a difference in quality between cheapo tools as opposed to the best. Yes most of us think Snap On is the best but most of us also think they are overpriced. You can get good tools for less than they cost on "the truck". Stay off the truck.

Most of the stuff at Harbor Freight is junk but I own a lot of it and the quality is always getting better for the stuff that is coming out of China. It was the same thing years ago with tools coming out of Japan. Now Japanese tools are some of the best.

Just wait till the Koreans start after our money? We won't have any left?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Which brings us to the point as it ALWAYS does, "What year is the bike? And model?" The link posted above is a 1985 and above. It has a lug nut wrench. Won't work on my 1975 R90/6. It think it works on those weird GS and G/S rear wheels. That kit also does not have the swing arm socket wrench or the fork tube pin wrench. So in a nutshell it doesn't work very well for anything before 1985.

More notes for assembling a tool kit. The wrenches and Hex keys in the OEM tool kit are top quality. If you are newer to mechanics you may not have figure this out yet but there is a difference in quality between cheapo tools as opposed to the best. Yes most of us think Snap On is the best but most of us also think they are overpriced. You can get good tools for less than they cost on "the truck". Stay off the truck.

Most of the stuff at Harbor Freight is junk but I own a lot of it and the quality is always getting better for the stuff that is coming out of China. It was the same thing years ago with tools coming out of Japan. Now Japanese tools are some of the best.

Just wait till the Koreans start after our money? We won't have any left?
its the frankenbeemer thing r65 frame, r80 engine, k75 front end...
so i guess homemade is the best thing for a homemade cycle.
as for buying tools, i am definitely in the quality camp. been buying mechanics kit for thirty years plus.
as a carpenter i buy top end hand tools for work. often i buy vintage chisels and planes, some of the kit i use everyday is sixty or seventy years old...

i am still figuring whether i will be able to store a tool kit under the homemade seat. i may have to find a way of securing everything under the rack in a lockable cubby... i like the motor works tool roll, might be a good starting point.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,069
"Hucky's" Spare parts has the basic tool set:

71 11 1 230 685 BMW - tool kit 19 piece 1970 on $ 146.50
1 x allen head hex wrench 3mm
1 x allen head hex wrench 4mm
1 x allen head hex wrench 5mm
1 x allen head hex wrench 6mm
1 x allen head hex wrench 8mm
1 x open end wrench 7/8mm
1 x open end wrench 10/11mm
1 x open end wrench 12/14mm
1 x open end wrench 13/17mm
1 x open end wrench 19/22mm
1 x ring spanner 10/12mm
1 x screwdriver - small
1 x screwdriver
1 x socket wrench 13/19mm
1 x socket wrench 21/22mm
1 x combination pliers
2 x tire iron
1 x rod 8mm

Appears that this kit doesn't have any "hook spanners / pin spanners". There were a few different configurations for them. I think I have three different types in my bike tool set.

I've assembled a few complete / functional tool sets from scratch for my bikes. Started with a bare / empty used $10.00 BMW tool pouches and started scrounging up wrenches....swap meets / junk shops / flea markets / garage sales are your friend.
I stuck with Euro. "DIN 895" wrenches as most folks here don't know what they are and they can be purchased fairly cheap.
A few years back I bought a pile of old BMW Parts. One box had probably 20 lbs. of old (many rusty) "DIN 895" wrenches. Heyco / Hazet / Stubai / Walter / Dowidat, etc. Nearly every Euro. tool maker was represented in the box.

PS...your "Franken Build" is looking good!

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 06:49 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #11
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post

I've assembled a few complete / functional tool sets from scratch for my bikes. Started with a bare / empty used $10.00 BMW tool pouches and started scrounging up wrenches....swap meets / junk shops / flea markets / garage sales are your friend.
I stuck with Euro. "DIN 895" wrenches as most folks here don't know what they are and they can be purchased fairly cheap.
A few years back I bought a pile of old BMW Parts. One box had probably 20 lbs. of old (many rusty) "DIN 895" wrenches. Heyco / Hazet / Stubai / Walter / Dowidat, etc. Nearly every Euro. tool maker was represented in the box.
very cool when you get a lucky find like that. i am always looking for old sorby chisels, over 100 brand new, but cheap as anything secondhand. to me the history in those old tools, the men who have used them before, makes them so desirable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post

PS...your "Franken Build" is looking good!
thanks. its never going to be a concours bike but thats not what i am about. its starting to look like i imagined it, keeps evolving and changing as it progresses... best thing is how much i am learning as i play!
Old 07-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #12
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,316
When it comes to tools and damned near everything else, sometimes the love of the Very Best that can get in the way of reason. While we can all agree that the tools in the "wrenching for Barbie" kits picked up at a dollar store are useless, how often does a wrench break? I have a few different wrench sets and my favorite are branded "ACE Hardware". I bought them 20 years ago for not much money at the closest hardware store when I got my first beater motorcycle. Would I be happy with them if I was a professional? Maybe not. But even with my incessant tinkering, they've held up just fine and taken a fair amount of abuse. And to that end, wrenches going into the oh-shit tool kit for on the bike don't need to be works of engineering art. Good screwdriver. Decent hex wrenches. Beyond that? I don't see the need for anything fancy.

If anything, invest a little love in the various fasteners so that you won't need Thor's hammer to turn them.

rambling...

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,007
While I can admit to being obsessed with tools, I am not a tool snob. One of my oldest wrenches is a 1/2" open/box end with "INDIA" boldly stamped on both sides. Only someone stealing (or me losing) the wrench would remove the wrench from use.

That aside, and getting back to BMW tools, there are only two (really one) tool that I found extremely useful: the 36mm/27mm boxed end wrench and the steering head wrench. The 27mm is supposedly for the swing arm nuts, but I think it would break before loosening the 70 ft-lb torqued nuts. The 36mm end works great for the fork tube nuts, but requires a BF hammer to loosen those. No one ever talks about carrying a BF hammer with the BMW tool kit.

27/36 mm combination wrench:
http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...search=1&go=GO

Steering head wrench (I use a shock absorber adjusting wrench):
http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...search=1&go=GO

For the older airheads, the front and rear axle nuts are 22mm. The took kit has a stubby 22 mm wrench. Duane Ausherman (http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/toolkit/index.htm) talks about the wrench being short to prevent over tightening the nuts. I am concerned about ever getting them off with that wrench. As such, since I have no South America or Africa travel plans is to use slime and an air pump as the need arises and replace the tube when convenient. I can't see myself beside a busy road with the wheel off trying to lever off the tire, fish out the inner tube, patch, reinstall, test, then put the tire back on the rim and remount the wheel with traffic going by. Nope.

Stan_R80/7 screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 02:16 PM Reason: simplified sentence
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #14
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,316
You remove the swing arm first and use it as a BFH.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #15
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,558
BMW Tool Number 1 = the biggest hammer you have to hand.

When traveling this has been
a large rock .. you'll get experience to find ones that don't shatter and are heavy.
a large log. And lucky to find that in that place.

Warin screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 05:10 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote