User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
ax7 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
/5 hand controls on /6

Love the look and simplicity of the /5 hand control/switches! I have managed to get a set and wanted to install them on my 1976 R75/6. Had a look at the wiring diagrams and other than the kill switch they appear to be pretty similar to me...but I never excelled at electronics back in high school physics :S.

Is this possible with some cutting/soldering/splicing? Hoping it is as simple as matching the wire from X-function on /6 to the wire from X-function /5 switch. FWIW my kill switch was disconnected by PO and doesn't work.
ax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
98kellrs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I'm no expert, but I would have thought it would be possible. My 74 R60/6 came with the /5 style controls which funnily enough I hated and swapped out!
98kellrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,894
Yes, it can be easily done. You might want consider grafting the whole end of the /6 switch harness on to the cut /5 switch wiring. That way the 90 degree connectors and different cable lengths of the /6 harness will match the headlights connections.
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,397
The /5 switches have different mounts and those use different levers but the /6 cables should fit fine. The /5 wires do not have the correct wire ends, you may be able to add wire ends? I've wanted to do this same mode myself but have never found a cheap enough set of controls to do it.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
98kellrs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
How much do people usually sell them for??
98kellrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
OLD GREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I just did this on my 1976 R90. Well actually what I did was scrounge up a set of 1974 controls and NOS switch gear. I just think they look so much better and make the bike feel more vintage.

There was really no cutting or splicing involved, pretty much plug and play. There is a little wire color discrepancy between the early early /6 and the later /6 controls but it is easy enough to sort out if you just follow the wiring diagrams.

Like anything else, price really depends on condition. Everything is still available from the dealer so it is possible to spend a grip of money. I bought some ratty looking perches with decent levers for cheap off ebay and then put the sweat equity into refinishing them. Think I paid about $75 for the pair. I wanted new switchgear and lucked into a set off IBMWR for a bit less than Max's.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
ax7 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I picked up a full set on ebay of (both left and right) including the switches, levers, complete throttle, perch etc for around USD$200. Not cheap but nothing BMW ever is! The levels are looking pretty sad and I will likely get them powder coated matte black. I don't mind the patina on the perches and switches so will probably leave them.

Great hopefully it is as easy as it sounds, seems like a good weekend project for sometime soon. Agree Old Green, they suit the character of the bike so much more and love how they are completely nondescript. Will make sure I take plenty of pics when I get to around to it!
ax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,659
It's do-able, the wiring color codes should be the same. But be careful if you are not good with wiring, make a lot of diagrams (schematics) and double-check before you cut-and-splice.

I like the old-style /2/5 switches.

--Bill
Old 09-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 772
The only differences will be that the /5 controls don't allow for a kill switch or turning the lights on and off. Once you allow for that it should be fairly straight forward. I don't think the kill switch will be much of an issue but the turning on the lights may present a small problem. If you're good at electrics and wiring, it shouldn't be a big issue.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
Evo1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Would this also work for a /7 R100? Do the earlier bike have twin pull throttles?
Evo1 is offline   Reply With Quote