Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 03:15 AM   #1516
9secondsflat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
vic needs a different frame to build on otherwise you can only put so much makeup on a bike and call it something else...
9secondsflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #1517
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I got a deck of cards at the IMS...
Pics or it didn't happen..

So I went to the Victory site to take a gander..and all I could concentrate on was that fucking sliding box that wanted my fucking name and fucking email
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #1518
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 2,011
I think the website's fucked up. I couldn't click on any of the bikes for a closer look.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #1519
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Pics or it didn't happen..

So I went to the Victory site to take a gander..and all I could concentrate on was that fucking sliding box that wanted my fucking name and fucking email
Gary

I despise the Victory web site. From that annoying box to all the stupid marketing bs. Why can't they make the actual information easier to get to?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #1520
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
snip...From that annoying box ...snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
snip..and all I could concentrate on was that fucking sliding box that wanted my fucking name and fucking email Gary
Click on the small triangle in the top left hand corner of the stupid box and it will disappear.

George

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 11:46 AM
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #1521
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post
Click on the small triangle in the top left hand corner of the stupid box and it will disappear.

George
Thanks, George. I'd figured that out a while back. But until I did?

I hope you're well.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #1522
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Thanks, George. I'd figured that out a while back. But until I did? I hope you're well.
Doing good. Waiting for Spring.
The winter has been more brutal than in years past.

George

Plug and Plug.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #1523
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post

George
Nope, at least not for me probably have to have cookies enabled..nope. Click..Click.. Click..Click..Fuck it

And even if you can ignore the damn thing the photography is so poor its unreal. These company's with money to spend and you cant even get a good look at the products..
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #1524
MHaz01
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 220
The Victory website works much better if you browser is Firefox than it does if your browser is IE.

I went to the IMS in Chicago today. The biggest crowds were at the Indian, Victory, HD and Honda exhibits. BMW was busy, but not as much as the others. Ditto Yamaha, Star, Kawasaki and Suzuki. Triumph was meh. The vendors of crap were busy vending crap.

A few observations:

I went back and forth between Vic and HD several times. The Vic bikes just looked better. Cleaner design, unified design concept, good execution, excellent fit and finish. I noticed that I wasn't the only one making the comparison - quite a few HD guys were doing the same thing and reaching the same conclusion. The Vic bikes just looked better. The HD bikes had good paint and finish, but their design themes are showing their age. They look like 'stuff hung on a frame' in concept and execution.

The Gunner was drawing a crowd. The crowd was mostly males in their 20s and 30s, and a few women. The reaction was very positive, especially regarding the price/value proposition. It's a lot of bike for the money. Victory may have a winner with this one. The Visions and XCTs all had lines of people waiting to sit on one.

The Indian exhibit was jammed. Jammed. People were three deep around every bike. The design, fit and finish drew a lot of positive comments. The cutaway engine and transmission seemed to be surrounded by HD guys who knew the HD drivetrain pretty well. Lots of talk about the engine being simple to work on, access to the clutch pack, having the drive on one side and the clutch on the other, gear primary drive, ease of access to the cams, etc. The naked chassis was likewise surrounded. I was struck by the both the simplicity of the frame and the excellence of the engineering that went into it. The adjustable Fox Racing coil-over shock drew a lot of comment.

The HD exhibit was very busy. Two things struck me: First was that the cutaway of the waterhead engine had no one paying attention to it, except a couple of guys wearing club vests. One of them sand "Bullshit. They should just design a new engine."

The second thing was that the HD people working the exhibit were pushing the HD lifestyle more than they were pushing the bikes. Interesting. Most of the conversations with them were 'lifestyle' and 'accessories'. It's almost like they didn't want to get into the head-to-head comparison with other brands. The $37,000 CO Ultra drew more than a few laughs regarding its ridiculous price.

Honda's busiest areas were the Goldwing and the CB1100. There were lines waiting to sit on either. Despite its age and the zillion button cockpit, the GL still sets a high standard, and people still want to own one. The CB1100 drew mostly guys in their 50s and 60s who were remembering the 750s they owned back when. The whatchamacallit CTX V-4 thingamajig drew mostly puzzled looks and questions about where the windshield went. Good engine or not, that bike already smells of failure due to bad design. Ditto its mini-me friend the CTX700. Adios, ugly bikes.

The rows of slammed custom baggers, tail dragging on the floor and ferris-wheel for a front end already look aged and passé. That fad has run its course, except perhaps among urban types who aren't all that interested in riding more than a few miles to the next meet-up. Ditto the dragster style extended swingarm bikes. That fad is winding down.

I usually come a way from the IMS with a mental list of bikes I'd rather own than the one I currently ride. Didn't happen this year; I'm still happy with the XCT. I might have changed my mind a bit, but the Free Money exhibit must have been taken down before I got there. So I'll hold where I am, happily.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #1525
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Gunner unveiled

The unveiling of the Gunner

First Guy to throw a leg over

George

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 07:31 PM
Old 02-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #1526
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,924
I think the forward controls are a huge fail and Victory needs to develop a new smaller engine and frame.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #1527
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I think the forward controls are a huge fail and Victory needs to develop a new smaller engine and frame.
Victory Corporate has come right out and said on a few occasions recently that they have big plans for the Victory brand. I tend to think with all the smaller engine engineering they have at their disposal with Polaris, that we will see smaller Vics in the very near future.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #1528
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,136
Not closely following this, but was the Judge discontinued? I liked the styling of the Judge MUCH better than the Gunner :/

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #1529
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Nice bike,I'm just a little disappointed though.Matte paint seems like a modern version of 90's graphics.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #1530
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Holy crap, yes.

They should have a smaller townie bike with mids and swb that doesn't cost 13 large.