Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #16
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro
Did you mean that Harley has the cruiser market or the gay market cornered? Put's another spin on the HD doo-rag, doesn't it?

David
Harley sells so many bikes here it's easy to have every part of the riding public covered I reckon....

They certainly have cornered the market on the fashion and style conscience, how that relates to the gay community is certainly debatable I would imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Is there room in the economy for a boutique V-twin brand to compete with HD?

I sure hope the Victory engineers are putting finishing touches on a bike that can sell for 7k.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #18
notdave
gets bored easily

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey jim
the Cross Country is high on the list. So is the Road Glide (although I'd prefer an '09 to the slammed '10 Custom model,
i have the same thoughts. im not in the market for a new bike but when i window shopped for a tourer i thought "why the heck did HD make the road glide a custom model and lower it?"

maybe 5 years from now ill consider an 09 road glide or the 10 cross country. but heck...maybe 5 years from now they'll be hybrid motorcycles like teh prius all getting 150mpg?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #19
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven

I sure hope the Victory engineers are putting finishing touches on a bike that can sell for 7k.
My lingering financial ruin from the divorce in '08 is the only reason I don't have a Cross Country right now. Every one of the guys I talked to at both test days loved the bikes. How much of that translates into sales remains to be seen of course. Neither dealer has a Cross Country left however.

Have you ridden one yet?

I'd rather see the economy recover than a $7K Victory because those bikes almost never fit me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #20
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide
My lingering financial ruin from the divorce in '08 is the only reason I don't have a Cross Country right now. Every one of the guys I talked to at both test days loved the bikes. How much of that translates into sales remains to be seen of course. Neither dealer has a Cross Country left however.

Have you ridden one yet?

I'd rather see the economy recover than a $7K Victory because those bikes almost never fit me.
I have not ridden a cross country yet, but I'm looking forward to riding more Victory products in the future. I don't think we can have too many American bike makers.
I like the Hammer S, but it's more along the lines of what I'm into what with all the commuting and daytrips I do. When I tour, I just do it on a standard with a windshield.

One the subject: I think it might be smart for Victory to make a machine that average buyers can purchase to get into the victory name. Not a cheap machine, but a lower priced one that maintains Victory quality standards.

I don't really have an axe to grind with Victory. I just would like to see them survive and don't see a lot of room in the American market for that many 18k cruisers.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide
Harley sells so many bikes here it's easy to have every part of the riding public covered I reckon....

They certainly have cornered the market on the fashion and style conscience, how that relates to the gay community is certainly debatable I would imagine.
If you walk to the end of Bourbon St and see a lot of guys in leather and no bikes you will see how it relates
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #22
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
I have not ridden a cross country yet, but I'm looking forward to riding more Victory products in the future. I don't think we can have too many American bike makers.
I like the Hammer S, but it's more along the lines of what I'm into what with all the commuting and daytrips I do. When I tour, I just do it on a standard with a windshield.

One the subject: I think it might be smart for Victory to make a machine that average buyers can purchase to get into the victory name. Not a cheap machine, but a lower priced one that maintains Victory quality standards.

I don't really have an axe to grind with Victory. I just would like to see them survive and don't see a lot of room in the American market for that many 18k cruisers.
The 8-Ball series starts at $12.5K. Same quality standards and engine, one less cog in the gearbox....
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #23
Stryker_11a
Licensed Moonbat Hunter

Oddometer: 452
I have an 04 Vegas, but I will be trading it in on my XC (pre-order finally arrived) on Saturday if it doesn't snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
All of the internet discussion in the world isn't going to change a narrow mind, so why waste the energy?
Stryker_11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #24
The Dirty One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
me have a 2003 tc. it`s a 5 speed and has the 92 inch motor but is just about as good an all around bike as you could want. i run the guts out of it and it never complains. the vics are proving to be soild machines.
The Dirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #25
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:

HD currently has about half the US market for >650cc motorcycles. They are the leading manufacturer of motorcycles in the US.
Seems to me there is a market and its much bigger than the other segments. At least in the US.

I've really been impressed with the Victory motorcycles I have seen but I'm not really interested in a cruiser. Still seems to me that a less expensive entry model would help over all sales. I'm guessing the problem is that currently they have basically 1 engine. It would probably be difficult to sell a motorcycle much cheaper with the current engine and a new engine would be difficult to sell cheaper unless you could sell bigger volumes. Engineering and tooling costs are substantial for an engine.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #26
Wolfgang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I laid my 2001 sport cruiser down in the rain last week and broke off the usual - turn signal, foot peg, and shifter. I went to our local salvage yard in the hopes that the clutch lever, at least, would be an easy replacement. Uh, no. The lever seems to be unique to this bike, and a replacement is $115!!!! Turn signal = $100!!! Shifter = $115!!!!!!!!

The shifter seems also to be unique to this bike.

Yeah, it sucks.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #27
daryle105 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
victory motorcycles

The cross country is not a cruiser!It"s a touring motorcycle. And yes victory parts & acc. are expensive, aren"t harleys!
daryle105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #28
tennmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Vics

Here in Knoxville all the new models went out the door right away.
My friend Polk didn't even get to see one-Ha
But he's happy with his Vegas and I am content with my Sportster.
tennmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #29
FocusPlayer
Minstrel on a Cycle

Oddometer: 67
Great looking monsters!

Y'all know Polarus is also Learjet, Bombridere, and Seadoo right? err... but don't trust my spellink .
FocusPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #30
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusPlayer
Great looking monsters!

Y'all know Polarus is also Learjet, Bombridere, and Seadoo right? err... but don't trust my spellink .

2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote