Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #76
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 464
Hey Hugh! Good to see another VMC'er here. Hugh's bike was my original inspiration.
As for police bikes, I stopped at Arizona Victory yesterday on a cross country ride for an oil change. They made that police bike for the Tucson police. It originally was a show bike until the senior motor cops bike (Harley) and backup (another Harley) broke down. He was forced to ride the Vic and now wont get off of it they said. They are currently working on police versions of the Cross bikes and showed me a computer mock-up of them. (They own that site and tried to get Vic to start a police bike line but Vic refused so they started it themselves). They told me that they are talking with Tucson PD about outfitting them all with Vics. The Harley's cost them $11000 PER BIKE last year in maintenance they said!
They are great guys there and I talked to them for about 2 hours. They have some sick custom Vics including one converted to chain drive. Great guys there!
On the controls, I think the "Jap controls" are pretty much the standard for all bikes other than Harley and I think BMW. Switches are switches and having them the same as basically every other bike makes sense as it is one less thing to "scare" people away (turn signals on each control for Harleys? Really? Stupid.).
They guys at Arizona told me two very interesting things:
Polaris is finally realizing that they need to sell the bikes at regular polaris dealers (there are tons of em and Vic dealers have been dropping like flys). And the Kingpin and 100 in motors are on their way out. The Pin is more expensive than the Cross Roads but basically the same type bike and the 110 inch motor is gonna be standard across the line which is why they came up with the limited edition hopped up Vegas.
I'm really glad I stopped there. Best Vic dealer I've seen.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #77
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
The thing I like best about the Polaris/Victory motorcycles, is that they directly influence Harley Davidson's future production designs.

The replacement for the current Twin Cam big twin, will be directly influenced by the hp and torque figures, of the more modern unit construction dohc Victory models. Within the next five years if not a lot sooner, HD's next big twin will appear and it'll have what ever is needed design wise, to satisfy their core customer's demands to meet or exceed the power figures of it's nearest direct competition, which although in far more limited production numbers, is the Polaris/Victory lineup...

So keep pushing the envelope Polaris/Victory, there's easily enough room in this segment for two American mc manufacturers and for those of us that love the more automotive based HD format, it only speeds up and refines the mother corp's efforts !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #78
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by quint7
The Pin is more expensive than the Cross Roads but basically the same type bike and the 110 inch motor is gonna be standard across the line which is why they came up with the limited edition hopped up Vegas.
I'm really glad I stopped there. Best Vic dealer I've seen.
I didn't know Victory used a 110in motor in anything. What is the Limited Ed. Vegas?
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #79
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughtwg
07 Vegas 8-Ball with 24k miles. Other than a broken clutch cable the bike has been great.
it.
A broken clutch cable at 24k, is a bit of a pisser to me. Lack of maintenance? Even so 24k doesn't seem like alot. Lube them cables.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #80
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
I like the Victorys-except for the Vision. I think it's a mite ugly. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a new sport model some years ago when a dealer had a few for cheap. I'm glad we have another solid US motorcycle maker. But why do both the HD big twins, and the Victorys need six speeds in their respective big high torque big displacement engines? I know why my 225cc Yamaha XT225 dual sport needs six gears, but why does a motorcyclew with huge amounts of torque?? These bike would certainly be rideable even if they had a three speed trans.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #81
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor
One of your brakes fell off.
Less un-sprung weight.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #82
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk
A broken clutch cable at 24k, is a bit of a pisser to me. Lack of maintenance? Even so 24k doesn't seem like alot. Lube them cables.
I agree that it isn't a lot of miles for a clutch cable. It's a known issue and a Barnet cable which solves the problem is cheaper than a replacement victory cable.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #83
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk

Would it be to say that an $18K bike should have hydraulic clutch. (I'm talking about Harley's, too.)

Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #84
d2wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I would like to see Victory make a bike like the Uly, GS800 or Tiger with a modern engine. They also should make bikes than are easier to look at.
I've had several Harleys but I'm looking more at lighter bike with more amenities. I have a Uly and a Sporty now.
d2wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #85
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2wing
They also should make bikes than are easier to look at.
The Vics are great looking to me. Just the fact they look different than the same old antiquated bikes everyone else has makes them that much more appealing as well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #86
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
But why do both the HD big twins, and the Victorys need six speeds in their respective big high torque big displacement engines? I know why my 225cc Yamaha XT225 dual sport needs six gears, but why does a motorcyclew with huge amounts of torque?? These bike would certainly be rideable even if they had a three speed trans.

jon
Nope. These bikes ride smoother when you can shift up and lower the RPM, pretty much like any other bike. I have both a 5 and 6 speed. I am always looking for 6th on my 5.

Like anything gears drop RPM, which drops vibration and increase fuel economy. Also can keep you in the sweet spot of your cam.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #87
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
Would it be to say that an $18K bike should have hydraulic clutch. (I'm talking about Harley's, too.)

Thats another arguement. I have heard when hyraulics fail, they fail completely, where you a cable will stretch. I am not sure why they aren't using them.

Big twins do have beefier clutches, then the Jap bikes. Maybe it has something to do with that.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #88
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby

I own a bike with a hydraulic clutch (Suzuki Intruder 1500) and every time I'm stuck in traffic for any prolonged period of time, especially on a hot day, the clutch fails. Like clockwork. When that happens, I have to pump the lever to get even a bit of clutch. Needless to say, this is simply dangerous when you are trying to ride in New York City traffic. It even started failing when I took the MSF Experienced Rider Course from all the stop-start and the heat. My next bike will have a cable clutch.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #89
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
why do both the HD big twins, and the Victorys need six speeds in their respective big high torque big displacement engines? I know why my 225cc Yamaha XT225 dual sport needs six gears, but why does a motorcyclew with huge amounts of torque?? These bike would certainly be rideable even if they had a three speed trans.

jon
because they can charge a few extra hunderd bucks for an "improvement"
seriously, i think its something the aftermarket dreamed up to generate more income. when i worked at an indy we always said 6-speeds were for when you ran out of stuff to throw money at.
the speed limit is 70-75 in this country afaik. these motors are in the sweet spot in 4th gear there & if just cruising, nudge it into 5th
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #90
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor
I didn't know Victory used a 110in motor in anything. What is the Limited Ed. Vegas?
There is no 110in motor. The largest Vic engine is the 106in motor.

Vegas LE is a 100 unit limited edition Vegas with the 106in motor. Currently all Vegas models come with the 100in motor.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote