Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerley
I may be off track by comparing a KLR, but I just got 12,500 miles out of my rear Gripster.
When I got off road I got like nearly 0 miles! I figured they just mispelled the name for off road applications - should have been an S... Slipsters. That's all they seemed to want to do when the going got tough.

Great road grip, but stay off any wet slippery surfaces and any kind of grass whatsoever.

Both my brother on his Ulysses and friend on his DRz400SM like the Distanzias for their use both on and off road.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #17
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,015
What Did You Buy?

Steve G - what did you go with in the end - Gripsters or Distanzia? Where did you buy them - was it up here in Vancouver? I'm in the process of looking for a replacement for my Gripsters and I've been looking around. A highly respected dealer that you and I both think highly of, quoted me $340 to mount and install just a new rear! I could have started a new tire thread but I decided to dig this old one back up instead.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #18
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Steve G - what did you go with in the end - Gripsters or Distanzia? Where did you buy them - was it up here in Vancouver? I'm in the process of looking for a replacement for my Gripsters and I've been looking around. A highly respected dealer that you and I both think highly of, quoted me $340 to mount and install just a new rear! I could have started a new tire thread but I decided to dig this old one back up instead.

I went with the Gripsters, they work well , and very good for the money.
Hate to tell you this Jack,,,,havn't bought a tire in Canada in 10 yrs. It's not the dealers, it's the thieves,,,,I mean importers who they must buy from.
Anyways, if you've got a U.S. mailbox or delivery point, it's a no brainer, here ya go:
http://www.compacc.com/p/Avon-Gripst...-and-130-80-17

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #19
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Clearance Issues?

Did you have any clearance issues with the rear wheel/swingarm with this batch of Gripsters? (Yes folks I know about putting a K-bike shim in here - just rather not). I looked at your links and I will probably be going cross-border for my purchase as well. F.Y.I. the only rear wheel Gripster showing in the Parts Canada catalogue is the size for the R100GS rear - this means that this is an item that will soon be unavailable to purchase. This will probably mean the switch over to Distanzias for me down the road.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you have any clearance issues with the rear wheel/swingarm with this batch of Gripsters? (Yes folks I know about putting a K-bike shim in here - just rather not). I looked at your links and I will probably be going cross-border for my purchase as well. F.Y.I. the only rear wheel Gripster showing in the Parts Canada catalogue is the size for the R100GS rear - this means that this is an item that will soon be unavailable to purchase. This will probably mean the switch over to Distanzias for me down the road.

I will admit that the tire 'just' touches the shock spring if I load her up.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Do the Distanzias ever have a problem of hitting on the inside of the swingarm - does anyone know?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #22
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,301
Yes, I had one do that last year.
I used the Kbike shim as I use one when I fit TKC 80s.

There was a thread about it, seems Avon made some tires that were too wide.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #23
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

I'm running a Progressive shock and my clearance is fine for now. Thanks for the info that the Distanzia is also prone to rubbing.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #24
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I went with the Gripsters, they work well , and very good for the money.
Hate to tell you this Jack,,,,havn't bought a tire in Canada in 10 yrs. It's not the dealers, it's the thieves,,,,I mean importers who they must buy from.
Anyways, if you've got a U.S. mailbox or delivery point, it's a no brainer, here ya go:
http://www.compacc.com/p/Avon-Gripst...-and-130-80-17

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Steve
Here's a little update on the tire purchase front. I just got off the phone with a retailer here in the Lower Mainland - I got a quote for $233 Canadian for a front and rear Gripster. The best deal I've seen down there is $219 U.S. for the same pair. It surprised me like all hell to see this pricing this side of the border - I pick up the tires next week.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #25
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

Oddometer: 334
which retailer? thx
Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #26
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

ITC - Langley
Old 12-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #27
airheadpilot
Le Poulet du Désert

Oddometer: 287
I've been through a few sets on my R80ST - first in the stock configuration and then in its more recent configuration. They're a pretty good all-around dual-sport tire. Their wet-weather performance is nowhere near as good as the Michelin Pilot Road 3's that I run on my daily commuter, but it isn't scary either. I just dial back my expectations and aggression when riding that bike in the wet.

I've never managed more than 8K on a rear tire, but I'm generally a pretty big fan of the rear. It grips well on pavement and the blocks are aggressive enough to give me good hook-up on my occasional dirt forays. I can't quite say the same of the front. Despite the pattern, I find that the front is much more road-oriented than the rear and the biggest problem I have in the dirt is the front pushing out from under me whenever I try to turn. That said, I'm not sure you'd get better performance from any other 90/10 tire, but if you're going to do any decent amount of dirt on a heavy bike, consider running a TKC-80 on the front and the Distanzia on the rear. I have also had some problems with the Distanzia front pushing a little to the high side when riding aggressively on pavement, usually on a tire with a few thousand miles on it.

Andrew
Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #28
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Here's a little update on the tire purchase front. I just got off the phone with a retailer here in the Lower Mainland - I got a quote for $233 Canadian for a front and rear Gripster. The best deal I've seen down there is $219 U.S. for the same pair. It surprised me like all hell to see this pricing this side of the border - I pick up the tires next week.

That's a good price Jack!!! ITC's prices had been out to lunch for a while, glad to see he's changed. Of course, he's got to charge you both taxes and the friggin' tire levy???? I show an all in of $266.96, current U.S. delivered to my door is $240us all in if I can avoid the taxes. I'd say it's time to talk to ITC about the tire on my 12GS!!!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #29
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

I thought that you'd like that, Steve. I was just getting ready to use those links that you had provided to order mine, when a co-worker suggested that I try ITC. The person on the phone knew my co-worker (supposedly he was their first customer ever) and I had one of the nicest transactions I've ever experienced. How hard are these to change, by the way? We have an automotive tire change unit at work - will this do the trick?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #30
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

I pulled out a receipt from 2007 from the my last tire purchase - this was from that reputable dealer I mentioned farther up the page - they charged me around $260 for both tires with installation on top. These were from Parts Canada, if I recall correctly. As I said in that previous posting, they now wanted to charge me $340 just to replace the rear alone! I would say that was what I would call gouging...