User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
maxjett OP
Biketrader

Oddometer: 628
So what's it worth? and do I want it!

I just checked out a 1968 R60, with fairing and topcase, its been in the guys basement for several years, its complete, carbs are cleaned but not on the bike, tank appears to have some rust in it. the overall paint seems good but the whole bike is covered in years of dust from sitting. A good power wash will only tell me the true condition. The guy has owned it for years and did ride it in the past. He didn't give me a price but said he would give me a good deal from what a fair market price would be. So I'm not sure what a fair price is for a non running , unrestored bike would be $400-800 if its really good condition.
So you guys have any ideas?
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjett
I just checked out a 1968 R60, with fairing and topcase, its been in the guys basement for several years, its complete, carbs are cleaned but not on the bike, tank appears to have some rust in it. the overall paint seems good but the whole bike is covered in years of dust from sitting. A good power wash will only tell me the true condition. The guy has owned it for years and did ride it in the past. He didn't give me a price but said he would give me a good deal from what a fair market price would be. So I'm not sure what a fair price is for a non running , unrestored bike would be $400-800 if its really good condition.
Need more details:
  • Did you try and kick it over?
  • Is it a US or Earles fork bike?
  • Color?
  • Big or small tank?
  • Big, small or solo seat?
  • Mileage
If you think you can get the bike for $400-$800 dollars and it is all there, get it no matter the condition of the drivetrain, or if you don't want it for that price let me know and I'll be on my way to pick it up.

kix

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,946
Quote:

So where IS that tongue-in-cheek emoticon.......surely you jest?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 820
I think you need to add another zero to the price spread.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
maxjett OP
Biketrader

Oddometer: 628
-engine did kick over easy a bit easy I thought but what do I know
-has Earles Forks
-Color is black and original paint with stripe, best I could tell through the
dust and grime
-mileage was showing I believe 27k?
-Seat is the dual long seat
-Craven topcase
-fairing Avon perhaps

as for the price i know I will porbably be shocked but I did see one for $1500 running with issues.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
-engine did kick over easy a bit easy I thought but what do I know
-has Earles Forks
-Color is black and original paint with stripe, best I could tell through the
dust and grime
-mileage was showing I believe 27k?
-Seat is the dual long seat
-Craven topcase
-fairing Avon perhaps

as for the price i know I will porbably be shocked but I did see one for $1500 running with issues.
Running for $1500?? Its called stealing and they put you in jail for that 'round these parts .

Seriously though, as a good friend often says, "a rolling basket-case is worth $2,000-$2500" and I'd say this is a similar situation, excepting it sounds better than a basket-case thus far.

If, indeed, the bike has the original paint and it is simply dirty and grimy, but still presentable, you can add more $; big tank, more $, etc...

I just had a discussion this week regarding this same subject w/ one of my good friends who is also an enthusiast, and we came up with ~$3500 for a running bike that is not so good cosmetically, but all there, if that gives you an idea. I'd say the bike in question is along those lines price-wise, if not even a bit more. Of course this is all sight unseen, but in cases like this it probably doesn't matter much...

I know it might sound like a lot for a non-running machine, but if you do some searching I think you'll find the figures to be pretty close to what you'll find elsewhere.

YMMV--

kix

Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,706
Why wouldn't you?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
RoughReady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I bought a 1961 R60 with non-matching motor and a spare R69 motor about 3 years ago for $1200. The bike was missing many parts, cables, title, crappy repaint,etc. Steel wheels (one dented), missing carb parts, broken front cover, chewed up timing gears, scratched valve covers, seat shot, etc. The PO just kind of threw everything together. It did have the big tank. I had planned on doing a conversion but ended up parting out everything last year (the first time I've ever done so) to fund another project I had going. When all was said and done I probably got $4500 or even a bit more for everything (primarily on E-Bay but the rolling frame, blocks on CL). The big tank alone (good shape, paint needed) sold for $850. Not knowing too much about the /2's I felt for some time that I had paid too much for the original heap and was amazed at what everything ended up fetching. Just saying.
RoughReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Does it have a good and current title? If not...$400 is fair, in my opinion...it's just a parts bike... even getting rid of the frame legally could be a problem...although you could cut it up and parcel it out in the trash!

I keep harping about the title on these threads, and for some reason, it seems to be something that a lotta folks don't think about up front... as a buyer, if something doesn't have a title, that's gonna radically reduce the price I will pay...also, it can be a very definite red flag, especially if it's somebody I don't know personally...
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
In some states, such as CT, a title for a vintage bike is worthless. They run the VIN and a bill of sale is all you need to register. $400 for a /2 is fair? Please let us know where you live so we can all take advantage of those "fair" prices.

1963 CA95

2006 RUCKUS

To boldly go where no Ruckus has gone before...
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddog
Does it have a good and current title? If not...$400 is fair, in my opinion...it's just a parts bike... even getting rid of the frame legally could be a problem...although you could cut it up and parcel it out in the trash!

I keep harping about the title on these threads, and for some reason, it seems to be something that a lotta folks don't think about up front... as a buyer, if something doesn't have a title, that's gonna radically reduce the price I will pay...also, it can be a very definite red flag, especially if it's somebody I don't know personally...
Try to keep in mind Yarddog that there are 50 states and 50 different sets of rules and regs for dealing with titles or lack thereof.
Just as there are different intrinsic values on these backs from region to region, state to state.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
Try to keep in mind Yarddog that there are 50 states and 50 different sets of rules and regs for dealing with titles or lack thereof.
Just as there are different intrinsic values on these backs from region to region, state to state.
Robert
This is entirely true, and to the point on both accounts.

In KY it can be a hassle dealing with titles and such, but it gets quite a bit easier the older the bike is, mainly due to the fact that the records get sketchy after a certain time period. It can also depend on the person you get at the counter when you go into the County Clerk's office (don't ask me how I know that one, and why the tags for my /5 are almost as much as the ones for my '01 1150 GS...) With that, I've known a number of folks that have gotten bikes titled and such, eventually, without even a Bill of Sale; sometimes it was a hassle, sometimes not.

One thing to keep in mind here is that some states did NOT issue titles on motorcycles 40+ years ago, and less, so there has to be a way to deal with the issue, w/ in the constraints of the law.

kix

Old 01-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,722
if its not completely rusted up & all there, I'd give 2k for it in a second.

we dont need no steenking titles here in Bama. (pre 75)

Im a sucker for /2's. the last good bmw's ever made.

well, I wouldnt kick an R80GS outta the garage......

Doug

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,241
It sounds like a great bike for $2K. I don't have the money, but I'd certainly figure out a way to borrow and scrape it up for a deal like that!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,304
Well, I have the $$$$ and I'd buy the bike at $2000 or even a bit more.

Thats the kind on project that you can "put away for a rainy day" with no worries at all.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote