ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
maxjett OP
Biketrader
 
maxjett's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 628
So what's it worth? and do I want it!

I just checked out a 1968 R60, with fairing and topcase, its been in the guys basement for several years, its complete, carbs are cleaned but not on the bike, tank appears to have some rust in it. the overall paint seems good but the whole bike is covered in years of dust from sitting. A good power wash will only tell me the true condition. The guy has owned it for years and did ride it in the past. He didn't give me a price but said he would give me a good deal from what a fair market price would be. So I'm not sure what a fair price is for a non running , unrestored bike would be $400-800 if its really good condition.
So you guys have any ideas?
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer
 
kixtand's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjett
I just checked out a 1968 R60, with fairing and topcase, its been in the guys basement for several years, its complete, carbs are cleaned but not on the bike, tank appears to have some rust in it. the overall paint seems good but the whole bike is covered in years of dust from sitting. A good power wash will only tell me the true condition. The guy has owned it for years and did ride it in the past. He didn't give me a price but said he would give me a good deal from what a fair market price would be. So I'm not sure what a fair price is for a non running , unrestored bike would be $400-800 if its really good condition.
So you guys have any ideas?
Need more details:
  • Did you try and kick it over?
  • Is it a US or Earles fork bike?
  • Color?
  • Big or small tank?
  • Big, small or solo seat?
  • Mileage
If you think you can get the bike for $400-$800 dollars and it is all there, get it no matter the condition of the drivetrain, or if you don't want it for that price let me know and I'll be on my way to pick it up.

kix
__________________
Bacon...

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
bpeckm
Grin!
 
bpeckm's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Road Island
Oddometer: 5,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjett
I just checked out a 1968 R60, with fairing and topcase, its been in the guys basement for several years, its complete, carbs are cleaned but not on the bike, tank appears to have some rust in it. the overall paint seems good but the whole bike is covered in years of dust from sitting. A good power wash will only tell me the true condition. The guy has owned it for years and did ride it in the past. He didn't give me a price but said he would give me a good deal from what a fair market price would be. So I'm not sure what a fair price is for a non running , unrestored bike would be $400-800 if its really good condition.
So you guys have any ideas?


So where IS that tongue-in-cheek emoticon.......surely you jest?
__________________
XS650 becomes a VT BackRoadRunner
Loving the 80ST
I love projects that take twice as much effort as should be needed. Should be an Airhead motto. (disston)
__________________
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant
 
woodgrain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: east of Scarbaria
Oddometer: 820
I think you need to add another zero to the price spread.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
maxjett OP
Biketrader
 
maxjett's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 628
-engine did kick over easy a bit easy I thought but what do I know
-has Earles Forks
-Color is black and original paint with stripe, best I could tell through the
dust and grime
-mileage was showing I believe 27k?
-Seat is the dual long seat
-Craven topcase
-fairing Avon perhaps

as for the price i know I will porbably be shocked but I did see one for $1500 running with issues.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer
 
kixtand's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjett
-engine did kick over easy a bit easy I thought but what do I know
-has Earles Forks
-Color is black and original paint with stripe, best I could tell through the
dust and grime
-mileage was showing I believe 27k?
-Seat is the dual long seat
-Craven topcase
-fairing Avon perhaps

as for the price i know I will porbably be shocked but I did see one for $1500 running with issues.
Running for $1500?? Its called stealing and they put you in jail for that 'round these parts .

Seriously though, as a good friend often says, "a rolling basket-case is worth $2,000-$2500" and I'd say this is a similar situation, excepting it sounds better than a basket-case thus far.

If, indeed, the bike has the original paint and it is simply dirty and grimy, but still presentable, you can add more $; big tank, more $, etc...

I just had a discussion this week regarding this same subject w/ one of my good friends who is also an enthusiast, and we came up with ~$3500 for a running bike that is not so good cosmetically, but all there, if that gives you an idea. I'd say the bike in question is along those lines price-wise, if not even a bit more. Of course this is all sight unseen, but in cases like this it probably doesn't matter much...

I know it might sound like a lot for a non-running machine, but if you do some searching I think you'll find the figures to be pretty close to what you'll find elsewhere.

YMMV--

kix
__________________
Bacon...

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
anonny
What could go wrong?
 
anonny's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Beautiful Revelstoke BC
Oddometer: 5,706
Why wouldn't you?
__________________
Kawasaki H1 build thread

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
RoughReady
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: SF Bay , CA
Oddometer: 249
I bought a 1961 R60 with non-matching motor and a spare R69 motor about 3 years ago for $1200. The bike was missing many parts, cables, title, crappy repaint,etc. Steel wheels (one dented), missing carb parts, broken front cover, chewed up timing gears, scratched valve covers, seat shot, etc. The PO just kind of threw everything together. It did have the big tank. I had planned on doing a conversion but ended up parting out everything last year (the first time I've ever done so) to fund another project I had going. When all was said and done I probably got $4500 or even a bit more for everything (primarily on E-Bay but the rolling frame, blocks on CL). The big tank alone (good shape, paint needed) sold for $850. Not knowing too much about the /2's I felt for some time that I had paid too much for the original heap and was amazed at what everything ended up fetching. Just saying.
RoughReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Oddometer: 322
Does it have a good and current title? If not...$400 is fair, in my opinion...it's just a parts bike... even getting rid of the frame legally could be a problem...although you could cut it up and parcel it out in the trash!

I keep harping about the title on these threads, and for some reason, it seems to be something that a lotta folks don't think about up front... as a buyer, if something doesn't have a title, that's gonna radically reduce the price I will pay...also, it can be a very definite red flag, especially if it's somebody I don't know personally...
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
notarex
Can U taste the waste?
 
notarex's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Oddometer: 1,213
In some states, such as CT, a title for a vintage bike is worthless. They run the VIN and a bill of sale is all you need to register. $400 for a /2 is fair? Please let us know where you live so we can all take advantage of those "fair" prices.
__________________
1972 GUZZI AMBO

1963 CA95

2006 RUCKUS

To boldly go where no Ruckus has gone before...
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
wirewrkr
the thread-killer
 
wirewrkr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: HIGH desert
Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddog
Does it have a good and current title? If not...$400 is fair, in my opinion...it's just a parts bike... even getting rid of the frame legally could be a problem...although you could cut it up and parcel it out in the trash!

I keep harping about the title on these threads, and for some reason, it seems to be something that a lotta folks don't think about up front... as a buyer, if something doesn't have a title, that's gonna radically reduce the price I will pay...also, it can be a very definite red flag, especially if it's somebody I don't know personally...
Try to keep in mind Yarddog that there are 50 states and 50 different sets of rules and regs for dealing with titles or lack thereof.
Just as there are different intrinsic values on these backs from region to region, state to state.
Robert
__________________

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer
 
kixtand's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
Try to keep in mind Yarddog that there are 50 states and 50 different sets of rules and regs for dealing with titles or lack thereof.
Just as there are different intrinsic values on these backs from region to region, state to state.
Robert
This is entirely true, and to the point on both accounts.

In KY it can be a hassle dealing with titles and such, but it gets quite a bit easier the older the bike is, mainly due to the fact that the records get sketchy after a certain time period. It can also depend on the person you get at the counter when you go into the County Clerk's office (don't ask me how I know that one, and why the tags for my /5 are almost as much as the ones for my '01 1150 GS...) With that, I've known a number of folks that have gotten bikes titled and such, eventually, without even a Bill of Sale; sometimes it was a hassle, sometimes not.

One thing to keep in mind here is that some states did NOT issue titles on motorcycles 40+ years ago, and less, so there has to be a way to deal with the issue, w/ in the constraints of the law.

kix
__________________
Bacon...

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever
 
rtwdoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Alabamski Oblast, Redneckistan
Oddometer: 3,722
if its not completely rusted up & all there, I'd give 2k for it in a second.

we dont need no steenking titles here in Bama. (pre 75)

Im a sucker for /2's. the last good bmw's ever made.

well, I wouldnt kick an R80GS outta the garage......



Doug
__________________
www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous
 
Wirespokes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Jackson's Bottom Oregon
Oddometer: 8,241
It sounds like a great bike for $2K. I don't have the money, but I'd certainly figure out a way to borrow and scrape it up for a deal like that!
__________________
Wanted: Dead, smashed, crashed or trashed gauges
BMW GAUGE REPAIRS - TACH*SPEEDO*CLOCK*VOLT METER *PODs & LIGHT BOARD*
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: NOR CAL
Oddometer: 3,304
Well, I have the $$$$ and I'd buy the bike at $2000 or even a bit more.

Thats the kind on project that you can "put away for a rainy day" with no worries at all.
__________________
Hawkdude

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015