User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Secret Agent Man OP
Globe Trotter

Oddometer: 68
Rio Sereno border crossing / Panama into Costa Rica

My guide book (Footprint, 2009) said that the Panama border crossing at Rio Sereno did not have the ability to process vehicles so I started asking some locals and they all agreed that there is an Aduana at the Rio Sereno crossing.
This morning my wife and I crossed at this border into Costa Roca without a hitch, spending about an hour to check ourselves and our moto out of Panama and check ourselves and the bike into C.R.
I'm not sure if this has been reported in the past but I thought I would chime in.
I had heard that the Paso Canoas border crossing was a zoo and, given that were spent a night in Boquete, Rio Sereno seemed like a natural way to go.

There is a brand new road you can take from Dolega (south of Boquete) that takes you through some really outstanding farm land over to the highway just south of Volcan. This road makes you think you are in Switzerland or New Zealand with it's twists and turns and tidy farm houses....really a world class ride....no vehicles, perfect black top...WOW!! Then there is the road from Volcan to the Rio Sereno border...it just keeps getting better and better! You are at about 4,000 ft and the air is cool and crisp.
Anyone wanting to exit Panama or enter Panama from Costa Rica really needs to consider this crossing and it's fantastic mountain scenery!
Secret Agent Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Secret Agent Man OP
Globe Trotter

Further to my post above, I was just on Horizon's Unlimited "Hubb" forum and saw that six riders used the Rio Sereno crossing from Panama into C.R. several months back but five of the six were held back while one was allowed to ride into San Vito, Cost Rica, to get the bikes insured.
It was pointed out that this crossing is not set up for insurance which is manditory in Costa Rica.
This didn't effect my entry into C.R. as we already had been in Costa Rica ten days earlier and had the required insurance from that visit (it's good for 30 or 90 days, can't remember).
Good info to know...only use this crossing if you already have C.R. insurance.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Thanks for updating, I was thinking about crossing there next week.
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man
My guide book (Footprint, 2009) said that the Panama border crossing at Rio Sereno did not have the ability to process vehicles so I started asking some locals and they all agreed that there is an Aduana at the Rio Sereno crossing.
This morning my wife and I crossed at this border into Costa Roca without a hitch, spending about an hour to check ourselves and our moto out of Panama and check ourselves and the bike into C.R.
I'm not sure if this has been reported in the past but I thought I would chime in.
I had heard that the Paso Canoas border crossing was a zoo and, given that were spent a night in Boquete, Rio Sereno seemed like a natural way to go.

There is a brand new road you can take from Dolega (south of Boquete) that takes you through some really outstanding farm land over to the highway just south of Volcan. This road makes you think you are in Switzerland or New Zealand with it's twists and turns and tidy farm houses....really a world class ride....no vehicles, perfect black top...WOW!! Then there is the road from Volcan to the Rio Sereno border...it just keeps getting better and better! You are at about 4,000 ft and the air is cool and crisp.
Anyone wanting to exit Panama or enter Panama from Costa Rica really needs to consider this crossing and it's fantastic mountain scenery!
Good Info. I'll check it out asap. I'll stop in Volcan or Boquette for some more Johnsons Farm Coffee. I've been waking up to it for a while but I'm almost out.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Rogue Agent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I was planning on using that crossing FROM Costa Rica. Anticipate any issues?

Thanks.
Rogue Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Secret Agent Man OP
Globe Trotter

The only thing I can advise you on is be prepared for some outstanding mountain scenery !!
Enjoy your ride!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Rogue Agent
Adventurer

Excellent. I'll be there tomorrow morning.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Rogue Agent
Adventurer

Outstanding ride today folks! Everyone was right. Rio Sereno border crossing was downright pleasant and the roads up the mountain from Ciudad Nielly, through San Vito, across the border, and into Volcan rivaled anything in New Zealand, Tail of the Dragon, etc. In fact, I think it's better than Tail of the Dragon because it's longer, the road is in better shape, and there isn't any traffic. The new road across from Cuesta de Piedra to Potrerillos is about 99% done--totally ride-able, even if you were on a Harley. Spending tonight in Boquete, where there's a constant cool breeze, light mist, and birds chirping, unless the sun is setting, in which case, the tree toads are croaking. Outstanding day!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #9
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,954
Good to know. Thats now on my list of crossings in the coming weeks.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
Good Info. I'll check it out asap. I'll stop in Volcan or Boquette for some more Johnsons Farm Coffee. I've been waking up to it for a while but I'm almost out.
To bring to ALARR III, I'm sure.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Rio Sereno

I just did this crossing (C.R. to Panamá) and it was a breeze. Checked out of C.R. in about 3 minutes, but it was lunch time in Panamá. No problem though, the Migracion and Aduana folks actually checked me in during their lunch break. I simply handed them all of my paperwork, then went across the street to a tienda and bought everyone some refreshments while they took care of my passport and vehicle permit.

I was the only person using this crossing when I was there. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this crossing! But like mentioned before, there is no insurance availible if you are crossing into Costa Rica at this location (you can however buy Panamá insurance when crossing into Panamá)

Talk about a sleepy little border crossing. By far the most tranquilo crossing I have done yet. The ride to and from the border is awesome as well, twisty, scenic and cool.

Its a little difficult to find as its on a dirt road with no signage, but there are plenty of people around that will point you in the right direction if you simply stop and ask.

crashmaster screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 11:28 AM
Old 04-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Crashmaster-

What's your plan while in Panama?

I have an ice cold beer waiting for you in San Carlos if you need it.
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
DaveCR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
I just did this crossing (C.R. to Panamá) and it was a breeze. Checked out of C.R. in about 3 minutes, but it was lunch time in Panamá. No problem though, the Migracion and Aduana folks actually checked me in during their lunch break. I simply handed them all of my paperwork, then went across the street to a tienda and bought everyone some refreshments while they took care of my passport and vehicle permit.

I was the only person using this crossing when I was there. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this crossing! But like mentioned before, there is no insurance availible if you are crossing into Costa Rica at this location (you can however buy Panamá insurance when crossing into Panamá)

Talk about a sleepy little border crossing. By far the most tranquilo crossing I have done yet. The ride to and from the border is awesome as well, twisty, scenic and cool.

Its a little difficult to find as its on a dirt road with no signage, but there are plenty of people around that will point you in the right direction if you simply stop and ask.
Hey !

So what was your route to get to this pass? how's the road? I did crossed to Panama but thru Paso Canoas.. on Semana Santa.. a nightmare !

Regards,
DaveCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarider2000
Crashmaster-

What's your plan while in Panama?

I have an ice cold beer waiting for you in San Carlos if you need it.
Sorry I missed you amigo. I didnt see you post until a month and half later. Unfortunately, my Panama experience was mostly about wondering if Dengue Fever was going to kill me........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCR
Hey !

So what was your route to get to this pass? how's the road? I did crossed to Panama but thru Paso Canoas.. on Semana Santa.. a nightmare !

Regards,
Not sure about what you mean by a route. Just go to Rio Sereno, the border is there, you cant miss it, its a small town. Also, of note if you are going from Panama to Costa Rica, they are not able to sell you the mandatory insurance for Costa Rica at this crossing. So if you still have Costa Rica insurance, you will be good to go, otherwise you will need to go to one of the other crossings....

Old 06-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
DaveCR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Got it!

I'm actually from CR and I did not hear about this crossing.. I knew about Sixaola and Paso Canoas; got to tell you it sounds good.. At least to go on a Sunday and make some "road recognition" hehe

Thanks for the info !
DaveCR is offline   Reply With Quote