Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
DaveCR, here is some more info, hope it helps you out.

I like this crossing, it is the easiest I have done yet. I went from Uvita to Rio Sereno. The road is good all the way, there is about 4 miles of smooth, well graded dirt from near the gas station in Sabalito. Just stop there and ask how to get to Panama. The dirt portion is good road..........

The actual crossing itself looks like this coming from Costa Rica to Panama........... Beautiful ride on either side of the border, good elevation, comfortable temps. Leaving the crossing into Panama it is very nice twisty, scenic, pavement.

I havent been to Puto Canoas, but I think this crossing might be just a little less busy.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Oddometer: 115
Laugh Photo Copies of Everything

This certainly is a slick crossing and I´ve done it in the past keeping the Visa thing up to date. Its my favorite way to get that done, and there is a place near Cerro Punta named Lodge de la Quetzals that has a pretty good place and price to hang out and explore the edges of the Parque Int´l de la Amistad should you like to stay off the beaten path.

The only thing that slowed me down once was an inability to get photocopies of my passport, registation, etc at the little super on the border as there was a problem with their machine. Make extras to have with you just in case and make sure you remember your Natl Registry paperwork if the bike is CR plated... otherwise there is a law office in San Vito next to one of the Ferreterias that can hook you up.

Enjoy Man! And be careful if you are tempted to start knee dragging on the twisties toward Nuevo California... the dairy farms cross their cattle in some interesting sections.
Kamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
DaveCR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Well, I think I have all the info I need !!

Will share with my friends to organize a little trip "down" there ..

Thanks Crashmaster and Kamuk .. I promise to take some pics to share later ..

Pura Vida !
DaveCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #19
CRStromer
GUS C.

Oddometer: 36
DaveCR.. jeje.. búsquese la ruta y nos vamos!! yo la verdad ni idea de por donde llegar... voy a travesear el GPS a ver que...

Greetings my friend!!!
ruteros506.blogspot.com
CRStromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #20
chmac
total n00b

Oddometer: 41
I've been living in Costa Rica the last 4/5 months and passed through that border. Here's how I understand it.

You can leave Costa Rica through Rio Sereno. If you do that, you can return from Panama on the same vehicle permit & insurance. However, you CANNOT enter Costa Rica for the first time through Rio Sereno. There is no customs office on the CR side, so you can't bring a bike into the country for the first time, as I understand it.

Also, as an aside, if you have a vehicle in Costa Rica for 90 days, the vehicle has to stay out for 90 days before returning. Nightmare. My bike is today parked at Paso Canoas because they wouldn't let her back in. My buddy's in the same position. Serious pain in the ass.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
DaveCR
Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmac
I've been living in Costa Rica the last 4/5 months and passed through that border. Here's how I understand it.

You can leave Costa Rica through Rio Sereno. If you do that, you can return from Panama on the same vehicle permit & insurance. However, you CANNOT enter Costa Rica for the first time through Rio Sereno. There is no customs office on the CR side, so you can't bring a bike into the country for the first time, as I understand it.

Also, as an aside, if you have a vehicle in Costa Rica for 90 days, the vehicle has to stay out for 90 days before returning. Nightmare. My bike is today parked at Paso Canoas because they wouldn't let her back in. My buddy's in the same position. Serious pain in the ass.
That sucks man !

Me and some buddies are going to Panama on Sept 15. We are planning to cross thru Rio Sereno. Cant wait. We are thinking on returning by Sixaola.. or RIo Sereno, or Paso Canoas.. not sure yet.. I guess it will depend on how the weather will treat us..

My rain suit is ready We will add some kilometers during the week

Regards
Old 09-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #22
chmac
total n00b

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCR
We are thinking on returning by Sixaola.. or RIo Sereno, or Paso Canoas.. not sure yet.. I guess it will depend on how the weather will treat us..
Rio Sereno is my favourite border crossing from all the borders between Canada and Panama. It's absolutely delightful on the Costa Rican side. The Panamanian side is a little more laborious, but still very easy. There was nobody else there while we passed through. I'm not sure if the CR side opens on the weekends though, might be worth checking. I think there's just one guy who works there, it's properly old school, typewriters and such! :-)
Old 09-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #23
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
chmac's information about Costa Rican aduana is correct: you cannot temporarily import a vehicle into C.R. at this crossing. In the other direction, no problem...unless, like me, you happen to arrive when the internet is down on the Panama side of the border. They are on a dial-up connection, and it is apparently somewhat fragile. When it doesn't work, you don't get to cross the border with or without your bike. Instead, they send you down to Paso Canoa, which is a nice ride but perhaps not what you had in mind late in the day with torrential rains arriving.

Of course, it was at Paso Canoa that I met the northbound deaf-mute Romanian rider who seemed to have no more trouble than I finding his way through the borders. With this in mind I determined to stop complaining so much about Central American border crossings; if he could do it, by god so can I.

The 90 day restriction is a common one throughout Latin America. Often it's ignored, but the possibility is always present. In some countries there are similar restrictions on people themselves: maybe you've got to leave the country for a day or two (this is commonly known as "making a visa run"), but then again maybe you've got to leave for 180 days before re-entering. Always read the fine print!

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #24
hammockman
Always Lost!

Oddometer: 124
Great information!

Great Info-I'll be using this crossing in November and December.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #25
DaveCR
Adventurer

So, it was just perfect...

We went from San Jose to Palmar Norte thru the "Costanera" .. bording the Pacific beaches.. Dominical, Uvita, Ballena, Quepos...

Once you get to Palmar Norte, take left at the Gas station.. and continue about 40km... you will be riding next to the Terraba river.. take a right to go to San Vito..

In about 5 km you will be there in Sereno..

There were only us, 17 ticos with 14 motorcycles .. hehe .. You can buy the Panama Insurance there for $15 ... go to the Panama site for your stamp and that's it !

From there to David, just be careful if it's raining.. the road is good.. There's a beautiful place near to Volcan, at Cerro Punta.. a nice hotel and restaurant called Los Quetzales.. really nice !

Regards,
Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #26
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
2011 Update, not much has changed.

I went across the border today. Cam in from San Isidro CA2 to 237. It is a ridge road to San Vito with views to both sides. Camped at Finca Cantaros just outside San Vito, incredible. After breakfast I headed off to the border.

Cruise down and out past the gas station to Sabalito always hanging to the right if there is a question. Past Sabalito you will see a big blue Colegio sign and take that left. Now hang left if there is a question. It is a rocky dirt road that can suck with rain (it poured the day before) which leads through nowhere out to the border.

The border is a big right turn. If you went straight, there is a gate. So 100 yards before the turn is the CR Migracion and Aduana office. You know what to do.

Down the road, just to the left of the gate is the Panama migracion office. Stamp, stamp. Just down the hill to the right of the gate is the Panama Aduana. Here you need a copy of your passport, a copy of your title, your plate number and Panama insurance. So while they are working on your paper work, you go down the hill , around the corner, three doors down and pay $15. With all this turned in you are done almost.

50 ft back up the hill in the gate is agriculture. $1 and some paperwork get you sprayed and you can leave out the backside down to the main road. Be careful because it is downhill to the road and someone just sprayed something all over your brakes. I was pumping like a mad man.

It is the best most relaxing border crossing in CA but it did take a while because with the time change, you are going to hit someone´s lunch break.

The road to Volcan from there is paved and great. You can eat up some serious turns, as fast as you dare. The second half was not as much fun with rain so cross on a sunny day or don´t wear knobbies.

So no new news, just keeping things current.

KTM 950SE, KTM450exc, WR262, XR100

SA Trip: http://profundoenel.wordpress.com

My Spot Page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...VRxGZhKdq5PNll
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #27
DaveCR
Adventurer

Funny that you update this post today, I have just arrived home from Panama! We crossed on Friday through Sixaola and yes, that bridge is scary!! Came back today through Canoas :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepInIt View Post
2011 Update, not much has changed.

I went across the border today. Cam in from San Isidro CA2 to 237. It is a ridge road to San Vito with views to both sides. Camped at Finca Cantaros just outside San Vito, incredible. After breakfast I headed off to the border.

Cruise down and out past the gas station to Sabalito always hanging to the right if there is a question. Past Sabalito you will see a big blue Colegio sign and take that left. Now hang left if there is a question. It is a rocky dirt road that can suck with rain (it poured the day before) which leads through nowhere out to the border.

The border is a big right turn. If you went straight, there is a gate. So 100 yards before the turn is the CR Migracion and Aduana office. You know what to do.

Down the road, just to the left of the gate is the Panama migracion office. Stamp, stamp. Just down the hill to the right of the gate is the Panama Aduana. Here you need a copy of your passport, a copy of your title, your plate number and Panama insurance. So while they are working on your paper work, you go down the hill , around the corner, three doors down and pay $15. With all this turned in you are done almost.

50 ft back up the hill in the gate is agriculture. $1 and some paperwork get you sprayed and you can leave out the backside down to the main road. Be careful because it is downhill to the road and someone just sprayed something all over your brakes. I was pumping like a mad man.

It is the best most relaxing border crossing in CA but it did take a while because with the time change, you are going to hit someone´s lunch break.

The road to Volcan from there is paved and great. You can eat up some serious turns, as fast as you dare. The second half was not as much fun with rain so cross on a sunny day or don´t wear knobbies.

So no new news, just keeping things current.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #28
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Does anyone know if the situation is still the same at Rio Sereno in regards to not being able to do a temporary bike import going into CR from Panama?
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #29
PlasticSun
Long Live The Supertanker

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarider2000 View Post
Does anyone know if the situation is still the same at Rio Sereno in regards to not being able to do a temporary bike import going into CR from Panama?
You need to have your bike permit for Costa Rica secured before crossing into Costa Rica from Panama. If you're coming from the south there's no good way to use this crossing. If you came from the north and are now turning around and suspended your vehicle permit rather than finalized it, when you exited Costa Rica you can re-enter Costa Rica at Rio Sereno.

The crossing at Sixola (scary bridge crossing) does have customs and is a chill and laid back crossing.

When crossing the bridge I found it easiest to ride between the rail road ties rather than on the planks laid out for the 4 wheeled vehicles. The planks have a lot of gaps that are just about the right size for a motorcycle tire, however between the ties there are nice thick 4X8's that allow for a bumpy but easy crossing.

This info was accurate as of February 2011.
PlasticSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #30
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Thanks for the info! My bike is registered in Panama and has Panama plates so I guess I'll be hitting Canoas.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticSun View Post
You need to have your bike permit for Costa Rica secured before crossing into Costa Rica from Panama. If you're coming from the south there's no good way to use this crossing. If you came from the north and are now turning around and suspended your vehicle permit rather than finalized it, when you exited Costa Rica you can re-enter Costa Rica at Rio Sereno.

The crossing at Sixola (scary bridge crossing) does have customs and is a chill and laid back crossing.

When crossing the bridge I found it easiest to ride between the rail road ties rather than on the planks laid out for the 4 wheeled vehicles. The planks have a lot of gaps that are just about the right size for a motorcycle tire, however between the ties there are nice thick 4X8's that allow for a bumpy but easy crossing.

This info was accurate as of February 2011.
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote