Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #31
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Oddometer: 115
Plastic Sun is correct about the North/South heading difference, as far as I know that is not to change any time soon. When I have crossed the border(s) of CR/Panama they have asked if I intend to return by the same or a different one... I'd suggest the Rio Serano for the return leg, don't know if it really makes a difference if you declare it to be, or not, on entry.

Baja Rider, if you are coming through Quepos/Manual Antonio drop me a line and Ill extend an ADV welcome and share some ride routes should you like... how far North you heading?
Kamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #32
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Thanks,

I was planning on coming back that way. I might not be able to take the bike. I went to get my registration and the cops pointed out an error on my Aduana receipt. They made a zero an "O" and now I have to get that paper redone before they will give me my registartion. I need to leave the country to renew my visa and might not have enough time to get it done.

If I pull it off I was planning on stopping in Manual Antonio on the way to Nosara. Just to Nosara then back after a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamuk View Post
Plastic Sun is correct about the North/South heading difference, as far as I know that is not to change any time soon. When I have crossed the border(s) of CR/Panama they have asked if I intend to return by the same or a different one... I'd suggest the Rio Serano for the return leg, don't know if it really makes a difference if you declare it to be, or not, on entry.

Baja Rider, if you are coming through Quepos/Manual Antonio drop me a line and Ill extend an ADV welcome and share some ride routes should you like... how far North you heading?
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #33
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,152
Bummer that this has not changed. A year after I used this crossing going south, I am headed back north. Guess I am headed to Puta Canoas on my way back north in a couple of weeks. How is Sixaola these days? If I can avoid Canoas I will, that place sucks.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #34
PlasticSun
Long Live The Supertanker

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Bummer that this has not changed. A year after I used this crossing going south, I am headed back north. Guess I am headed to Puta Canoas on my way back north in a couple of weeks. How is Sixaola these days? If I can avoid Canoas I will, that place sucks.
Sixola and it's bridge are quite cool and very laid back. I recommend it and there's customs on both sides of the border.
PlasticSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #35
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Hit me up when you get to Panama. I'll be back from CR April 15thish.

Quote:
Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #36
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarider2000 View Post
Hit me up when you get to Panama. I'll be back from CR April 15thish.
Thanks amigo. I will probably be through Panama and Costa Rica before the 15th though. Hopefully we can meet up for some beers somewhere along the way.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #37
Kamuk
lost in the ozone again

Oddometer: 115
Crash:

Yeah, Sixola is a cool crossing...

Plus if you start on the Pacific side of the mountains (Talamanca ridge) in Panama you get to cross over them at their Southern tail, pass near Boquette, and also the islands of Boca del Toro on the way then North to the crossing. Once in Costa the Boca Vieja/Limon run back up to the Central Highlands comes into play. Maybe try the route to Cartago... Cierro del Muerte, PZ, Dominical, Quepos - Beer.

Baja:

I know the visa run deal - have had to do them myself but from here instead. If you have the desire/need/time to hang out in this area and want to save on the coin, my casita, just outside town, has an available guest room - free.

That goes for either of you, should you end up on this Coast after your crossing, Crash. For some reason I know a watering hole nearby...
Kamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #38
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Crash:

Plus if you start on the Pacific side of the mountains (Talamanca ridge) in Panama you get to cross over them at their Southern tail, pass near Boquette, and also the islands of Boca del Toro on the way then North to the crossing. Once in Costa the Boca Vieja/Limon run back up to the Central Highlands comes into play. Maybe try the route to Cartago... Cierro del Muerte, PZ, Dominical, Quepos - Beer.

Baja:

I know the visa run deal - have had to do them myself but from here instead. If you have the desire/need/time to hang out in this area and want to save on the coin, my casita, just outside town, has an available guest room - free.

That goes for either of you, should you end up on this Coast after your crossing, Crash. For some reason I know a watering hole nearby...

Great offer amigo! Gracias. Still stuck in Medellin. This place is bad, bad, bad. I cant seem to leave for some reason.

I only have two places in CR that I NEED to hit on my way back north, Rancho Diandrew outside of Uvita, and la casa de mi amiga on the edge of the Cabo Blanco reserve near Mal Pais. Other than that, I have no plan, so it sounds like beer is in order near Quepos.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #39
snohobo
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticSun View Post
You need to have your bike permit for Costa Rica secured before crossing into Costa Rica from Panama. If you're coming from the south there's no good way to use this crossing. If you came from the north and are now turning around and suspended your vehicle permit rather than finalized it, when you exited Costa Rica you can re-enter Costa Rica at Rio Sereno.

The crossing at Sixola (scary bridge crossing) does have customs and is a chill and laid back crossing.
I'm headed up for a visa run - from Panama to CR with my KTM. I rode it down about 2.5 months ago - and I still have my insurance good until the 9th of April, and also my Temp vehicle certificate - also good until the 9th.

Am I to assume that I can show up on the morning of the 9th - in Rio Sereno and make it across? Worst case they send me to PC?

Unfortuately - I cannot leave PC until the 8th - or else I wouldnt try to cut it so close...

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #40
PlasticSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
I'm headed up for a visa run - from Panama to CR with my KTM. I rode it down about 2.5 months ago - and I still have my insurance good until the 9th of April, and also my Temp vehicle certificate - also good until the 9th.

Am I to assume that I can show up on the morning of the 9th - in Rio Sereno and make it across? Worst case they send me to PC?

Unfortuately - I cannot leave PC until the 8th - or else I wouldnt try to cut it so close...
As I understand it when you checked into Panama and suspended your TVIP you should have stopped the clock on the TVIP then. Meaning if you had 20 days left in CR you should still have 20 days left when you reactivate it. However the insurance does not work this way and continues to expire.

So while you're good to go on the TVIP front Rio Sereno will not let you cross because your insurance is about to run out (or they'd give you a 24 hour visa which is unlikely to be what you'd want).

Another troublesome aspect about Costa Rica TVIP. If you spend the full time in Costra Rica (I believe 90 days) and then leave the country (or finalize your TVIP rather than suspend it) you have to wait another 90 days before you can get another TVIP. This is to prevent the legions of gringos living in CR from bringing their vehicles down with them and never registering them in the country. If you do make a mistake and finalize rather than suspend your TVIP head to Puerto Canoas where after a long and tiring process of standing in line after line someone there can likely help you out. If you do have to do this your best bet is to go early in the morning (office opens at 8 CST).

If you have finalized your TVIP or spent the full 90 days in CR and spent 90 in Panama or other places further south you can recross into CR from Sixola or Puerto Canoas, Rio Sereno can only reactivate your TVIP, it can not issue you a fresh one or sell you insurance.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #41
snohobo
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticSun View Post
As I understand it when you checked into Panama and suspended your TVIP you should have stopped the clock on the TVIP then. Meaning if you had 20 days left in CR you should still have 20 days left when you reactivate it. However the insurance does not work this way and continues to expire.

So while you're good to go on the TVIP front Rio Sereno will not let you cross because your insurance is about to run out (or they'd give you a 24 hour visa which is unlikely to be what you'd want).

Another troublesome aspect about Costa Rica TVIP. If you spend the full time in Costra Rica (I believe 90 days) and then leave the country (or finalize your TVIP rather than suspend it) you have to wait another 90 days before you can get another TVIP. This is to prevent the legions of gringos living in CR from bringing their vehicles down with them and never registering them in the country. If you do make a mistake and finalize rather than suspend your TVIP head to Puerto Canoas where after a long and tiring process of standing in line after line someone there can likely help you out. If you do have to do this your best bet is to go early in the morning (office opens at 8 CST).

If you have finalized your TVIP or spent the full 90 days in CR and spent 90 in Panama or other places further south you can recross into CR from Sixola or Puerto Canoas, Rio Sereno can only reactivate your TVIP, it can not issue you a fresh one or sell you insurance.
If I still have my TVIP - does that mean that I suspended it or finalized it? We crossed 5 borders in 17 days and I'm still reeling from all the procedures. I don't actually remember exactly what I did when we left CR. We were in CR for one day.

I don't need to be in CR long - I think 24 hour is sufficient to renew my bike permit in Panama. Unless I need to be out for more than 24 hours (I heard 3 days might be necessary but I cannot remember)?

Other option - can I do everything in Sixaola? I'd rather do anything than to return to Paso Canoa. Anyyyything....

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #42
PlasticSun

It means you likely suspended it, it should say on the TVIP "Suspendito" with your initials next to that. This is what CR customs is supposed to do when you exit the country is give you that option. Odds are high that it's suspended but every now and then some one stupid (like me) thinks they're going to South America and chooses to turn around after finalizing their CR TVIP which means a big hassle at PC.

You can do everything at Sixola, there's insurance for sale and customs at both sides and if you do need to spend a couple extra days in CR Puerto Viejo is just 30 km away.

The major difference is at Sixola they're still ruled by the office in PC, so if for some reason they need the jefe to sign off on something (like a dumb gringo who finalized his TVIP instead of suspending it....again me) they'll send you down to PC to talk to the jefe who will likely need to call San Jose to plead your case. However, if it's a routine crossing Sixola will serve your needs just fine and the bridge there is a fun ride.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #43
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the offer! Panama changed the tourist visas to 6 months from 3 so I don't have to do it as often which is nice.

Luckily I have a buddy in Nosara so I'll be headed there this trip.

Most likely doing a pleasure ride up in June.

Quote:
Crash:

Baja:

Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 AM   #44
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Great offer amigo! Gracias. Still stuck in Medellin. This place is bad, bad, bad. I cant seem to leave for some reason.

I only have two places in CR that I NEED to hit on my way back north, Rancho Diandrew outside of Uvita, and la casa de mi amiga on the edge of the Cabo Blanco reserve near Mal Pais. Other than that, I have no plan, so it sounds like beer is in order near Quepos.
Take the dirt up the coast from Mal Pais. Fun ride. I'll be in Nosara if you want to meet there for a beer.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #45
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 357
Sorry to butt in...

Does anyone know if you can leave a bike in CR and fly back to the US for a couple of month? I'd like to make the trip, but can't get away for the time it would take for the return trip, so I wanted to come back for two months before flying back and riding home.

Thanks.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote