Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #16
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Looking forward to reading this trip report. Took a V-Strom to Alaska in '06 and will again this year.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 135
Really Great RR!!! I'm here, sitting in front of my computer...DREAMING of that kind of trip!!!! please don't stop your RR!!! My V-Strom is same as your 07!!! Tanks for sharing!!!! Serge in Québec, Canada!!!
stromsavard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Day 4 June 9th

Tonight I will type with larger letters.
Today is the first day we all ride together. First on the agenda is ride over to the Center point of North America. There is a monument here in Rugby ND. for it. There flies the American, Canadian, and Mexico flags.

Now the adventure begins. No more interstate for till back to States. No more cell phone for me. I have a cheap trackphone and forgot to call and say I would be in Canada so the whole time in Canada no Phone. OK by me.

We head north on Hwy 3 which turns into hwy 10 in Canada.
When we get to the little border crossing no one is going north just some Semi's going south. The border guard stops us ask for some I.D. or passports. He ask where we are headed. We all tell him Alaska and the Yukon. He says, there are some big bears up there, what do you have for protection. I tell him we have bear bells! He laughs and laughs that will end up in there shit! You guys should get some bear spray he said. We were all laughing the guy was really cool. What do you know we are in Canada. First time for all of us except for dad. We head north to Brandon Manitoba and on the way we got in some construction and been raining so it was all mud. I thought it was great. This went on for about 10 miles it seemed. In Brandon we eat lunch and head west on Prov. hwy 1. I though no more interstate but Canada 1 is about the same as an interstate minus on/off ramps. Our goal today is ride to Regina Saskatchewan and head North west on Hwy 11 toward Saskatoon. We are going to camp at Blackstrap Provincial Park. Todays pics

Center point of N. America monument.

First pic with all bikes together.

The wheel turtle

Manitoba Canada

Dads bike

The Saskatchewan welcome center. The guy was really friendly and gave us some great maps.

We got into camp around 7 pm. We met KLR Dave at camp he was driving down from Alaska with his Family. He said the weather is really nice and warm in AK. with not alot of rain. Today was about 44 deg. all day. This after noon was the first time we saw blue sky since Danville Illinois. Later we were sitting around the fire and I was drying my gloves that got wet in Minnesota and one slipped out of my hand and fell in the fire. I just stayed calm and was going to watch it burn. Dad right away reaches in and rescues the glove. Its a dad thing. So the gloves have a couple spots of Character.
Camp pics.

Bikes slowly getting dirty.

Bear country we were alot more tidey.

friend for the night.
CAGE FREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #19
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,658
You go towards Alaska and take a photo. of a rabbit. I go to Alaska and take photos. of Grizzlies. Bet that will change.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #20
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5 June 10th 2009
Today we will ride from Black Strap Prov. Park on Hwy 11 to Hwy 16 in Saskatoon and ride to Elk Island N.P. in Alberta.
Short day 280 miles all other days have been over 450. We eat some breakfast at camp I usually have either grits or oatmeal press some coffee and I am ready. The ride today was nice and no rain. Woo hoo. Eat some lunch right at Alberta border by some horseys. The Trucks in Canada all have an extra trailer. They must have a highere GVWR aloud on the roads. Todays pics.

Eating some Jerkey

Real horses

Our horses

We get to camp early this night. Elk Island. Lots of Buffalo and we say one Elk, the lake was as smooth as glass. We tried fishing but no bites nothing moving. Elk island was nice just a little pricey. After we set camp Alvin and I run into the town of Lamont and get some supplies. On the way there was a huge junk yard with every form of motorized vehicle there and a nice limo display.
Here are camp pics.

Drying laundry

Limo Display!

Not catching anything

The supplies!

Our camp friend tonight. We fed the wild life some spicey nuts he loved them. So for revenge he woke us up at 5 am. skreetching jumping tree to tree. Well we learned our lesson on feeding the wild animal.

Mark goofing off.

To give a little up date of camp. Tents are as follows. My tent is a Marmot swallow I bought on ebay. Mark REI, Dad Eureka and Alvin K-mart tent it worked great the whole time he never had any leaks just when in high wind thing looks as if it is turning into a sail. All the tents did great. Dad and Marks tents were a little cool on those really cold nights. Stoves Dad has and Exponent multi fuel stove Mark has a Jet Boil Alvin has a Coleman full size multi fuel and I have a coleman little pocket thing screws on fuel canister. All stoves worked great.

Tomorrow Day 6.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
You go towards Alaska and take a photo. of a rabbit. I go to Alaska and take photos. of Grizzlies. Bet that will change.
Check out day fives wild animal. The chipmunk.

CAGE FREE screwed with this post 02-05-2010 at 12:23 PM
Old 02-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #22
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Some pictures of the wild life from our Alaska trip.

Let's not judge one another's Alaska trip pics.

Keep it comin' boys. No such thing as a bad Alaska Ride Report.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #23
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Great report. Love the custom farkles on the stroms - especially the bash guards and water bottle holder. Everybody looks armed for bear with the TKC 80's strapped on. Keep it coming!
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #24
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,999
You have my attention.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #25
Powerslave
n00by tires that would be

Oddometer: 315
living the dream

Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:27 AM   #26
Maineiac
Kennebago Express

Oddometer: 53
Enjoying the report - you're fortunate to be able to do a ride like this (with your Dad)! Nice looking skid plates on those Zukes.
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #27
danceswithcages
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
In!

danceswithcages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #28
Twistn'roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Was up that way myself this past summer. I'm looking forward to more of your RR. I always enjoy seeing similar places I've traveled through the eyes of others.

~TR~
Twistn'roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #29
hihosliver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
hey guys, keep the Alaskan "wildlife" photos coming. I'm stuck in NYC and not going anywhere on the bike for at least 3 months...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
squirley
punk in drublic

Oddometer: 151
Doing this ride in the spring, mostly cause guys like you inspired me! Looks great, I'm subscribed!
squirley is offline   Reply With Quote