User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #31
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Day 6 June 11th 2009

This day we ride from Elk island N.P. to Charlie lake about 50 miles north of Dawson Creek B.C. Very long day, 12 hrs of riding 480 miles. We ride into Edmundton Alberta. Stopped at a Tim Hortons donut shop for the first time. Very good. Headed up to Grand Prarie on hwy 43. When we arrived we stopped at Hunters supply and bought some bear spray. I know may not do anything but peace of mind. This way the bear has peppered human to eat. The guy selling the bear spray told us how to get close to grizzlies.
He said take a can of ether, wrap bacon around it and put it 50 yrds from camp. Then the bear bites the bacon and knocks himself out. There would be a good pic with a grizzly.Just make sure you are not around when he wakes.
Todays pics

Leaving Elk Island

Check out the cooler rack

Dakaring it

kicked back

interesting bridge

straight roads

little break

Pick up some bear spray
[IMG][/IMG]

We made it to the start

Mark, Dad and I.

If interested.

While we were at Milepost ZERO we met some bikers Ron and Mike from Washington. We will see these two again. Met a couple from NY, we spent quit a while talking we them we will see them again too.
Now it was time to get some dinner. This is the first meal that we eat that is not from Mountain House or the camp stoves. We chose chinese.
After dinner we head north on the Alcan looking for camp. We get north of St John and find Charlie Lake. Nice place to camp not busy at all. Really nice lake.
Grub.

supplies

These are pretty cool to cross. Especially with knobbies

Made it to camp. Getting dirtier.

trail to Charlie lake

That night at Charlie lake I left the fly off my tent. The skies were clear and nice Then some time around 3 am I wake up and rain is falling on me and I am all wet. So Have to go to the bike find fly and cover it up. Just more memories.

The nights are starting to get longer still getting dark. The time on the pics in NC time so I think it is three hours different than this days pics.
CAGE FREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #32
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,603
Great report!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #33
sahtt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I see all smiles, that's the most important part. I did austin to fair banks and back last august. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Must be nice having all that gear/tires, I took a zx14 with a couple soft bags haha.
sahtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #34
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 7 June 12th

Today we ride from Charlie lake to Stone mountain/Summit lake. Up to this day I was the only one who had not droped a bike on the trip. First thing at camp this morning all loaded and ready the bike is on the center stand and I get on standing on pegs lean forward to pop it off center stand and when comes down my left foot slips on the loose gravel and walla down it went. Now we had all dropped our bikes.

Today was the first whole day on the Alcan. The weather this morning was supurb. It is amazing how good the could smell. As we head for Ft Nelson we eat lunch by a river and proceed north where we see our first bear. He is on the left side of the road eating some flowers or something. Ft Nelson was the warmest day yet it was great. We leave Ft Nelson for Stone Mountain where we camp for the night. We hit one hard rain over the mountains by now it is part of the deal.
Todays Pics Warning there are alot of pics today.

Fill her up

Pedal power

That was close!

First black bear

[IMG][/IMG]

We take a little break by the river. Of course I slip on a rock and fall in the water. Felt great woke me up. The Jacket and pants kept me from getting to wet. Water went up the sleeves and down my pants. The river was beautiful and the mountains around it. The scenery is just amazing when standing right in its presence.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #35
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Camping tonight at Stone Mountain. There was nobody else there so we had the place to ourselves. We were unloading the bikes and this beat up Ford tempo pulls up. It was the Stone mnt. camp host. He had quit the accent. Alvin asked where the closest place for supplies/beer would be. He said Toad river or back to Ft Nelson. So we payed him and he left. Maybe ten minutes go by he is back. He brought us some fire wood then ask Alvin if we would be interested in some beer. Sure we all said. He said well I will run over to my place and get you 4 beers for 10 canadian dollars. Not much more than a Canadian six pack. So he leaves and comes back with beer. We were thinking of some Canadian beer or something but no he brings Budweiser. We all enjoyed it. The camp host was really cool. Later we do some fishing and hiking. While we were filling our water bottles with our
MSR water filter pump. The camp host comes back. He said the water is good but at the start of the lake on the river he warns us that there is a beaver dam and we will get beaver fever. So Mark and I look at each other trying not to laugh. We were thinking man we had been away from the wives for 7 days now we already have beaver fever.
Now some Camp pics.

washing stinky feet

Alvin brought along his chipmunk

grub

We go for a little hike and climb the smaller mountain.

for the Botanist

Canadian skeeters

We all played around taking pics of the mountain reflecting into summit lake. I shot a panaramic and pieced it together when I got home. This night when we tried to sleep we had one bad lightning storm.

Summit lake Stone Mountain

Let me know if too many pics.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #36
RSDOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Dude! You cant have too many pics! Keep em coming!!

Bogart.
The Big Sleep.
RSDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #37
CanadaGS650
Mad fool

Oddometer: 280
very nice pics... Thanks for sharing.. you passed my place by 20 miles, i am just south west of Elk Island Park
CanadaGS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #38
NorWis
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Oddometer: 259
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaGS650
very nice pics... Thanks for sharing.. you passed my place by 20 miles, i am just south west of Elk Island Park
You can never have too many pictures!

The more the merrier! I'm trying to plan my own trip. You pix help out a lot!

Todd
NorWis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:52 AM   #39
ohiodualsporter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Awesome ride so far. The more pics the better. Most of us here are "visual" types anyway. Besides, it shows what to expect when I go in '011.
2008 Kawasaki Versys
1981 Honda Xl500S
!986 Husky 510
!974 Yamaha TY250
1974 Suzuki TC185 Ranger
Too many others....
ohiodualsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #40
Rastus
World Traveler

Oddometer: 72
Talking Cool Report!

Cool pics. It really is great that your dad and brother can all go on a trip like this. Any tips or nuggets of wisdom for the next time?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #41
Havingfun
the road less traveled...

Oddometer: 86
Thanks for taking the time...

... to write the report. Alaska is a goal. Don't know if I'll ever get there but I sure enjoy the reports. Keep it coming. I'm in.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #42
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 8 June 13th 2009

We ride from Stone mtn to Watson lake camp ground in Watson lake Yukon Territory.

Today was one of the best rides of the trip thus far. The Alaska hwy gets a little twistier, scenery outsatanding and more animals. There was absolutely no traffic to speak of. It is so peaceful up here and so many cool people to meet.

We rise early and decide that today we are going to ride to Toad river and get some breakfast. This was the first time we did not have to cook up a meal (grits). So much to see this day the Muncho lake, Liard hot springs which we could not pass up. On the way to breakfast I was leading and a Caribou was on my right, and he ran along side of me for at least 200 yards. Lots of Dall sheep, more caribou, brown and black bears and our first moose.

Today is Dads birthday and my wifes. This is the second time my dad had his birthday on the Alaska Hwy. In summer 1959 dad and his family all moved up to Alaska for the summer. All dirt and mud on the AK hwy then. This is also why we chose to ride in 09 this is exactly 50 yrs later for dad. It had to be pretty cool to know that 50 yrs ago you were on this road.
Todays pics.

Time to eat some breakfast.

This was on the wall hope it is readable.

Liard hot springs We have not had a shower since Elk Island.
So this felt great.

This guy was actually crossing the road when we came up on him.

We made it to the Yukon. Alright!

When I jumped into the Hot spring today I hit bottom and cut my toe open.
on my left foot. It had a hard time healing with boots on all the time. So jump out further from the edge than I did.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #43
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This night in Watson Lake we met up with Ron and Mike the two riders we met at Milepost ZERO.
They told us that they were camping at Watson lake tonight. So we followed them to camp. We almost camped in town so glad Dad talked to them about camping out at the lake. Tonight at camp I use the Satelite phone we rented so I could call my wife and wish her happy birthday.
We all had fun and drank some beers and ate some cheese burgers we made on the grill. Happy birthday dad.
It still got dark but gets dark very late and does not last long. Very excited about riding the Campbell hwy tomorrow.
Camp pics.

I know something nobody else knows till tomorrow.

This is about as dark as it got this night.

I will try and post tomorrow night, Day 9
Old 02-09-2010, 03:09 AM   #44
ohiodualsporter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
You guys have seen more animals than we have at our zoo. Awesome scenary. Keep it coming. The road pix are really nice.
2008 Kawasaki Versys
1981 Honda Xl500S
!986 Husky 510
!974 Yamaha TY250
1974 Suzuki TC185 Ranger
Too many others....
ohiodualsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #45
squirley
punk in drublic

Oddometer: 151
Once again great report, gets me exited for the trip. Love the marmite cans on the one strom, almost did that but found a deal last minute on some aluminum ones. Great pics and you guys were lucky, looks like you saw a bunch of wildlife, thank you for the time to put this together for the rest of us! Can't wait for more! How often did you have to tap into your reserve fuel cans?
squirley is offline   Reply With Quote