Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #46
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,405
thanks for sharing this. I am enjoying it very much. I am eager for more!
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #47
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.
CAGE FREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #48
Rastus
World Traveler

Oddometer: 78
Laugh Liven the Dream!

Your Liven the Dream! Riden up the ALCAN. Keep it coming!
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #49
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How often did you have to tap into your reserve fuel cans?

Once for another rider and at same time put a little in mine since we were stopped.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #50
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 9 June 14th

Today we will ride from Watson Lake Yukon Territory to Carmacks YT. Today we ride the Robert Campbell Hwy. Our first dirt day. We will stop in Ross river for gas and head for Carmacks. We did not see any animals today but lots of big blue lakes. We ride the Campbell on the Metzler Tourances. They seemed just fine on the dirt Mark and I were able to ride 45-50mph in good spots. Extremely dusty road so we all kind of split up to stay out of the dust so we could see.

This morning we rode to the Sign Post forest where I call my wife and she confirms the news, She is pregnant! Woo hoo! I tell the group by Frances lake at lunch time. I was so excited that day.
P.S. Happy Birthday Arin, Marks wife.
We ride 390 miles today.
Todays pics.

Plug the toaster in the wall make toast. Yeah toast!

I have one of these at home

The next best way to get around

Going up the Alcan

Time to head up the Campbell.

First stop nice lake and old house

Here comes Dad.

Looking at Frances Lake.

Here we are for lunch. This is where I let them know the good news.

Hats just do not stay straight in tank bags

[

We ride an hour after lunch and come to Finlayson lake.

Now we ride to Ross river for gas it is a little North on the Canol Hwy. When we rode into Ross river we could not find the gas station. So we asked a Welder at the end of town by the bridge for directions. The gas station had one pump working and inside he had some stuffed wolves. They were huge.

Tonight we get to camp a little more tired than usual. Probably the dirt road and that we spent some time at the Sign post. It was 10 pm when we got to camp right on the Yukon River.
We encountered alot of skeeters today. Now till back south again we have these little friends to deal with. Here are camp pics.

This night we decided that tomorrow night when we arrive in Dawson city we would stay at the Downtown Motel. This way we could shower and get ready for the Dempster the following day. So I make a call to the motel and got us some reservations.

next time day 10.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #51
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 10 June 15th 2009

We leave Carmacks after eating right beside the Yukon river. We head for Dawson city for a total of 220 miles our shortest day yet.
When we are on our way up we see two large black bears one was brown.
They scurry into the trees. When we arrive in Dawson city we head straight for the Downtown Motel and check in. Nice paintings on the walls. It had been five days since our last shower at Elk Island. We meet up with Dick who leads us on our bikes to his house and lets us use his garage and air to change our tires to the TKC80s. He is one of the nicest guys you could meet. He lets us store our Tourances in his shed, where we pick them up after the Dempster.
We all get the tires on with the tools we brought and with Dicks air compressor. For people on there way up he is setting up a tire machine he had bought just for this occasion. That will be nice future riders.

When we get back to the motel we head to the bar and there we meet the two guys we met at milepost ZERO and camped with at Watson lake. Ron and Mike had shipped there Knobbies to the Napa in Dawson city If I remember right. So we had a drink with them and they said they were headed up the Dempster the Day after we go up. Ron told us the weather for the Dempster was rain. He was right.

We met up with three KLR rider heading up tomorrow also.
Father, Son Jamie and Uncle. We camp with them tomorrow on the Dempster.

That afternoon we walked around town and checked out the sights. Ate some dinner at Klondike Kates. We all decided to head back to the bar and drink the Sour toe Cocktail. IF you end up here you gotta do it. Its an ADV thing.

When done with the sour toe John and Betsy come walking in. The couple we met at milepost ZERO. We were all pretty excited to see each other. John bought us all around of Canadian Beer. So now we call it a night and get ready for the Dempster tomorrow.

A little construction stop.

Dawson city

The room

Lets go change some tires.

Knobblies

Ron and Mike

There bikes

Rons tire just a little bald/bad

The pics on the wall in the motel

The riders in the Yukon. Night out on the town.

Nice supports

Check out this Honda.

In line for the toe.

Real or not?

I drink the drink toe touches mouth same for Mark and Alvin Dad braver than the rest of us puts in his teeth. Yummy.

Toe captain

We listen to a great pianist play 1800s gold rush days music. Meet up with John and Betsy he buys us a round.

Next time Day 11 The Dempster Hwy one of the 3D's
Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #52
rmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Tire mounting

Good report. Question for you. Were you able to have your tires mounted on the wheels at Pterodactyl or did you need to mount them yourself? I will be up there this July and sure would prefer to have the knobs mounted in a shop if there is one in Dawson City.
rmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #53
paulgadget
Forever Learning

Oddometer: 181
Great report

Great photos too, looks like you had very good luck with the weather. I did the trip June 18 to July 23 '08 and had great luck with the weather also.

All your bikes look well set up.

I wanted to do Frances lake but used up extra days camping at Hommer, Seward and Inuvik.

My report is on this site.
Fed Fyrmun, San Diego
Home Page: Smugmug-photo-Album
paulgadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #54
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw
Good report. Question for you. Were you able to have your tires mounted on the wheels at Pterodactyl or did you need to mount them yourself? I will be up there this July and sure would prefer to have the knobs mounted in a shop if there is one in Dawson City.
We had to do it ourselves with our tools. He had a tire machine he was trying to get up and running. I know that Ron and Mike had the Napa mount theres in Dawson city. Probably call the Downtown hotel and ask for Dick. He is the one with the Pterodactyl.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #55
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 11 June 16th 2009

We get up load the bikes and head north to the Arctic.
We saw some sites this day. We eat some breakfast in town and talked with some locals about the road they said it is great just slick in the rain they warned us.

Todays animals were a Lynx which when Mark was going around a corner it was crossing the road. I was in the back so I did not see it. Fox with baby, Bear in middle of road Mark had to hit breaks around turn to keep from hitting it. Then it would not get out of the road. We would honk or get a little closer but it just stared and walked up the middle of the road. After about 10 minutes of this I blast by him then Mark and so on.

We fuel up in Eagle Plains where it was super windy and cold. The gas station attendent is a student down in B.C. that spends his summers in Eagle Plains.

When we arrive at the Arctic circle it was just starting to rain. So we push north for Rock river campground. We camp with the three KLRs we met in Dawson city. Nobody else at rock river. The campground is in the last of the tall trees.

Leaving Dawson city.

The start of the Dempster

A long ways to go.

Lets head up

Try to take a panorama pic. wrong setting.

Alvins front tire goes flat instantly. So we pump it up and it does not go flat again. We were wondering if mayby he hit a rock and it popped the beed really quick.

on board.

Pic stop.

Tombstone mountains

Get back on the road and we see a Fox family.

See the baby popping his head out.

Another lake.

Mark saw these as he was leading. There were two sets. To bad we could not ship these home. They would think we poached them.

Lunch stop

Rough Riders

Top of the world

The bear that would not get out of the road. Pretty cool.

No bear on our way to Eagle Plains.

Eagle Plains

We all made it.

Looking at the Arctic for the first time.

We make it to camp. We are camping above the Arctic Circle!

Rainbow over camp tonight. Bright as day at night.

The wood was really wet so the camp fire was a little smokey. Lots and lots of skeeters.

Scott at work hooked us up with some Cubans for the Arctic crossing.

Bird at camp.

We were now deep in bear country. So we picked everything up and even had the bear spray out. Sleeping in the bright night is no problem after along days ride.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #56
usp45
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
I'll bite, I'm in
Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #57
swedeonabike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564536
swedeonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #58
Billd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Really enjoying your trip report, you are very lucky or clever to have done this with your brothers and father, monumental in all your lives. Things like this don't come around very often with in a family. Am planning the basic same trip this summer with two friends so am following your adventures with great interest, keep up the good work and thanks for this!
Billd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #59
Jedediah
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
What a great RR!

As others have mentioned how wonderful it is to ride with your Father and Brothers on such an epic ride. This is a gift.

I love how you came from opposite sides of the States to converge on the Geographic Center of North America to commence your journey. Your trip planning has payed dividends.

Birthdays, 50th year Alaska anniversies, and 'I'am expecting announcments'. How kind to expose use to your private family intimacies.

I'll be checking back in for the frutition of this RR and journey.

Thank you so much for posting.

Cheers to all,

Jed.
09 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE

"We are all going to die of something if we live long enough!." My Father

Jedediah screwed with this post 02-13-2010 at 09:10 PM
Jedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #60
Rangerrat
Adventurer Rat

Oddometer: 28
What a wonderfull family adventure

Wahooo, finally photo shots where the BEAST STROM is the Star, alright. In a serious note, Thanks for sharing this wonderfull family gathering that don't happen too often. Man, You guys got me going with all those photo shots. Looks like June is a good time to head out that way.

And darn, did'nt know they had Cubano's working over there. Oh, you mean cigars, got it!!

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful adventure.....

Roads do nothing but impedes on my journey, so why have them!!
Rangerrat is offline   Reply With Quote