User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #61
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,736
Great RR & pics.. Thanks for posting.

I hope to do it next yr.. (I think I can take 11 days.. Not sure if I can make the arctic circle.)
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #62
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Its a Girl! Now I can post a pic on Dads and Daughters. Its weird writing this nine months ago I was at Watson lake and now I finally write the report and have the baby.

Day 12 June 17th

This morining we get up to a cold windy rainy day. We ride to Inuvik and back to Eagle Plains for the night where we camp.
Make some grits and coffee and head north on the Dempster over the Continental divide and into the Northwest Territories. How cool is that to say? We had an extreme cross wind on the Yukon side and then rain and mud in the NWT side. The rain made a glare on the wet mud and we all had some close calls, put your foot down close calls where you are flat tracking it. I thought this mornings ride was a blast. We make it to the first ferry crossing and meet up with a physical therapist from Montreal that works in Inuvik on and off. They were driving up?

Todays pics and more descriptions.
This is the first pic of the day due to all the rain and mud. Here we are waiting for the ferry Crossing the Peel river.

Now we are on the ferry. There was a kind guy washing cars license plates and brake lights. He also washes dads bike too.

Physical Therapist from Montreal.

Ride another 40 miles and cross another ferry. I think this is the Mackenzie river.

Check out this mornings mud.

Crossing the Mackenzie

Now we ride north next stop Inuvik. Well I thought. We were riding along and there was a grader in the right lane so we went to the left and then noticed there was a large burm so we were riding along in the left when we all notice there was a semi coming and not slowing down at all so I jump the burm at a 45 deg angle and Mark the same Dad ends up spinning out and crashing at least on the safe side of the burm. Alvin stops right next to it and the truck just speeds on by. Dad was alright but the right Jesse bag popped off. So we just pop it back on and take a little break and away we go.

We make it to Inuvik.

Cool plates

Eat some lunch at the place in the backround. The guy in the bicycle helmet came over because a friend told him that some bikes were in town. He was telling us about Inuvik and the motorbikes he rides. He was really friendly too.

Nice deli. The girl that works there was born and raised in Inuvik.

Power Wagon at the post office.

Time to go to church.

I felt bad for this guy. He was so wasted. He staggered over from across the street at the post office and followed us here.

Now we head south after lunch and mailed some post cards. About 30 miles out of town there is a bad washboard part of the road so I stand up and the Handle bars come out of my hand and next thing I know I am in a bad tank slapper. I just try to grab the bars sit down and hold the tank with my legs. That will sure wake you up.

This part of the road is about a 10 miles without a single turn.

ferry crossing south alot less busy.

NWT we take these pics on the way back.

Our first Grizzly bear. This is almost exactly across the road from Rock river where we camped last night.

Back to Eagle plains. First stop brews.

We meet up with Ron and Mike again. They rode up today from Dawson city and are staying here in the motel.

Some more adv riders. Really nice group of guys. Look like HD ridersbut all riding GS's The guy on the front right crashed Yesterday on the Dempster over the NWT border in the slick mud.

bikes outside of the Eagle plains motel. Notice the yellow straps holding the Pannier on the GS. That is the bike that fell in the really slick mud.

We head over to the camp spot and meet up with a nice couple traveling with there dog. They were from Juneau AK. She sees us eating little dehydrated camp food and offers us some of there food. We say thanks and eat our dehydrated dinner.

Dad got a shot at a bird

View from camp that night. This is as dark as it got.

That night we fuel up the bikes before driving over to camp and Marks bike would not start. Finally it fires and we set up camp and we pull off the fuel tank to check the filter. We noticed that before we left he must have pinched the filter gasket outside of the cover and there was a pile of dirt in the air box. I am talking alot of dirt and sand. So we clean it all out and clean and fix the air filter.
The good think is that Mark had brought 4 quarts of oil and two oil filters. So first thing the next morning at the gas station in Eagle we change the oil. That will be in Day 13 report.
CAGE FREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #63
ohiodualsporter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Awesome ride report. Love all the pix too. (they speak a thousand words) I plan to take the trip, so seeing the road and conditions speak volumes. I"m hooked. Keep it coming.
2008 Kawasaki Versys
1981 Honda Xl500S
!986 Husky 510
!974 Yamaha TY250
1974 Suzuki TC185 Ranger
Too many others....
ohiodualsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #64
squirley
punk in drublic

Oddometer: 151
Awesome! I was planning on only doing the dalton this summer but the dempster looks amazing, I may have to swing both if possible! Great RR, one of the best!
squirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #65
wee_V_in_Calgary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Love the RR, now I need to try and do some work....lol
Old 02-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #66
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Thumb Awesome Pix!

I've got to admit to a tinge of jeaulousy, to get to do a ride like that with your oldman! You can hardly find one shot that you don't have this look of pure happiness on your faces. Great pix! I often thought of a ride like that, now I'm hooked, all I can really say is WOW!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #67
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 13 June 18th 2009

This morning we eat some breakfast at the motel in Eagle plains. The plan today is to ride from Eagle plains to Chicken AK. Via Top of the World Highway.
When we fill up this morning there was a helicopter dropping off something and we ask the attendent if he had an oil drain pan for Marks black strom.
He said no problem pull the bike in and let us use the shop. We changed the oil since Marks air box was full of dirt and sand.
Now we head south behind Ron and Mike.
On the way south we see one large Cow Moose. So we stop and I walk into the trees and she is not but 25 feet from me.
Then later about 50 miles from the bottom of the Dempster we had to stop because crossing the road was a Mom moose and her calve. We ride into Dawson and get some gas and are filling up when Alvins bike takes a break. It just falls over.
We conquered the Dempster.
Now we head to Dicks, pick up our tires we left and head to his Downtown Hotel. In the back of the Hotel he has a steel grat and a hose where we wash out the radiators and oil coolers. We also washed the tail lights. I did not wash anything else. I wanted to bring home all the dirt with me.

Todays pics from Eagle to Chicken AK.

Dirt from the Dempster

Never be clean again

After the Dempster

Waiting to board the ferry. The only way to get to the Top of the World Hwyl

Here is a spot Dick told us about. so we stop here to eat some lunch and enjoy the views.

Here the Yukon and the Klondike river meet. I think the Yukon is the clean one not sure.

Snow!

Nice gloves!

To be continued Chicken Alaska.

CAGE FREE screwed with this post 02-18-2010 at 04:06 PM
Old 02-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #68
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,432
Buen reporte y buenas fotos! Great report and awesome pics! The opportunity to spend this quality time with your father and brother is wonderful.

I'm taking notes for our trip this summer.

Is your camera waterproof (resistant)? You took lots of nice pics! Keep it coming!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #69
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,343
whata great story
Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #70
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Continuation of day 13.

When we entered Alaska it was raining. It rained all the way to Chicken AK. So when we got to chicken we showed up at the new part. We drove on a little then found good old Chicken.
When we got there I asked a young man where the motorcycle camping is? He said right behind the place. So we pull over there set tents up in the rain quickly and head to the only place open for food, the Chicken Saloon.
There we ask if they have any food and he said all we have left is frozen pizza's. So pizza it is we said. Two large pizza's after a very long day were great.

We all had some beers and sat and ate. When we got there and were waiting for our food there was a chick or girl hanging out with some guys. Then she came over to Mark and I and started hanging all over us and drinking Marks beer. She was trying to dance with all of us. She was wasted.

Later dad calls it a night and Mark, Alvin and I stay in the bar and meet a couple from New Zealand and were up till Midnight in AK. Which is 4 a.m. In North Carolina. Then all of the sudden boom the drunk chick hits the floor. She passed out so one of the guys picked her up to take her home. All the guys in there work at the Chicken stores and bar we thought they were with the girl.
Nobody new who she was. So one of the employees takes her to her motorhome and her dad was there waiting for her and her kids. What a parent.

The roof of the bar is full of blown up womens panties and hats. They have a little cannon they fill with black powder and get a female bar patron to put her panties in the cannon and blow them up outside. The employees were trying to get the New Zealander to but she had a little more selfrespect so no luck.

We had a blast that first night in AK.

We made it.

Set up camp behind shop.

Free to camp here

The crew.

New Zealanders Keren and John

Tired

Drunk chick puking at Midnight in AK.

Thirsty Chipmunk.

The bartender is from Lafayette Louisiana and is the Helicopter Mechanic in the Day for Chicken. Here he is posing to be some guy from Chicago. He did a great job with the pose.

We all went to our tents and slept great.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #71
SirSkuffy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
AWESOME report... Looks like you guys are having a ball.

However, need photo's of the drunk chick.....
SirSkuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #72
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSkuffy
AWESOME report... Looks like you guys are having a ball.

However, need photo's of the drunk chick.....
The only pic I got was her puking. She wasn't bad looking.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #73
danceswithcages
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I love it.
Sitting here on my day off, reading your RR, drinking my fav beer-Moose Drool- and there are bottles of it inside the fridge, second shelf.

Great Report!!
danceswithcages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #74
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,432

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #75
Robert-31320
Agent of Chaos

Oddometer: 95
Great RR, congrats on the baby!