User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #91
Froggynews
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hi Cage Free,
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful family ride and a terrific adventure. Isnt it fantastic they have such great buffets at Coldfoot and Deadhorse.

Your Vstrom setups are very interesting and seem to me pretty well thought out. Would appreciate if you let us know who made the brackets for your Pelicans, and also what type of bags are on Marks Vstrom, and who made the brackets for it.
Froggynews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #92
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggynews
Hi Cage Free,
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful family ride and a terrific adventure. Isnt it fantastic they have such great buffets at Coldfoot and Deadhorse.

Your Vstrom setups are very interesting and seem to me pretty well thought out. Would appreciate if you let us know who made the brackets for your Pelicans, and also what type of bags are on Marks Vstrom, and who made the brackets for it.
Thanks we had a great time.
The boxes on Marks Strom are the Maramite army boxes. He won them on ebay. They were used in the kitchen in the military. They worked great. The brackets on both bikes we made at home. We used a 7/8 die on a tubing bender and made the brackets and the rear racks. Also made the crash bars on my bike.
CAGE FREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #93
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 17 June 22nd 2009

Today we ride from Deadhorse to Fairbanks.
This was one long day the longest of the whole trip.

We set the alarm for 5:00 a.m. and Mark, Pete and I head to the Prudhoe bay buffet. We ate till we were full then packed a sandwich chips and drinks in some bags and headed out. When we were loading the bikes a couple of the workers in town asked. Why the hell would you want to ride motorcyles up here? We replied why not. They said last week they had to air vac another advrider out the week before we got here he crashed in the deep gravel and heavy winds that we had to ride through. He broke his femur they said. Then they said another one limped in with a broken arm all in the same week. We Thanked them for the positive and encouraging info and continued loading the bikes.

Also while we loaded our bikes there was a guy loading his bicycle. He is going to ride from Deadhorse AK to the southern tip of Argentina. And those guys thought we were crazy.

We hit the road at 6:30 am we would not reach Fairbanks until 11 pm that night. It was about 520 miles of riding that day 16.5 hrs. Boy were we tired that night.
So lets get started with the pics and ride today.
The bike on the way down.

We stop in front of the lake in Prudhoe it is a light snow sleet that morning.
It is the end of June and we are riding in freezing conditions. Awesome!

Mark said his bike had been making a noise so about 20 miles south of deadhorse he stops and we find the noise it was his chain guard. His homemade tool tube was hitting it and pushing it into the chain when the rear was fully compressed. So we unscrew it and leave it on the Dalton. In a trash can of corse.

Arctic critter.

Then we were riding along and there the heard was. We got some pics and some awesome videos.

As we ride south there is one little paved part in Happy Valley Goose Bay.
It is just awesome in the tundra.

One good looking bike. Ha Ha.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #94
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Now here is the reason our day took so long.

Pete has a rear flat tire. If you remember when we first saw Pete he had a flat tire.

So we he gets to work and he is really quick at it. He use to race motocross and works at a bike shop so he knows what he is doing.
I was in the lead when they stopped so I took some pics and then headed back to them. I could see them back there. We are just getting into the Mountain range.

Sorry about all the pics with the bikes in them

Back at the tire scene

During the time we change the tube there was a Ford hwy work truck that would speed by. They did it about 4 times. The last time I was going to throw a rock at them. We had Petes bear protection also.
The big Semi's would roll by slowly and that damn pickup.

Then we see two bikes coming our way. We thought for sure they would stop but they just fly by the KLR on its side clearly with a problem. So we were quit stunned. Oh well we had everything we needed to get the job done. I also got to use my home built air compressor which I think is on the ground in one of the last pics.

Now we continue on into the Atigun pass.

Now on the South side. Check out the guardrail.

Bike looks like it is about to take a nap.

So now I speed down the hill so I could get some pics of the guys coming down the pass.

Well I am stopped on the side of the road again.

Another one!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #95
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You could not ask for prettier places to have flat tires. Once in the pass now buy a beautiful river and mountains. And once again every big truck you could here them down shifting and roll by slowly giving us plenty of room. We have had no trouble with the big semis on the Dalton.

Now the reason we had all the flats with the KLR is he did not have the right size tube. It got destroyed early in his trip. He had and 18 in it and a 19 spare this time it was the 19 tube. So each time we would patch the tube with his or my patches and put some of my monkey butt powder in the tire and wheel.
Here are some pics of the area of the flat.

So now we are still not to Coldfoot and it is past noon. We ride about 20 miles and Pete passes me and I notice he is pissed and has a Flat tire. He keeps riding and is all over the road till finally over a concrete bridge he about ate it. So we stop again wondering if we will ever get there. We did no take pics this time for we are all a little tired and trying to beat the rain coming. I use my spare fuel for the first time in the KLR. I think a little leaked when it was on its side so often.

Now the guy that passed us back at our first flat stops this time. It was the owner of Aerostich on the ride. He tells us that he has a new 17 inch tube in the parts truck that Greg Frazier was driving. They would give it to us in Coldfoot. So we fix the flat with some patches and monkey butta and finally make it to Coldfoor. Where we fuel up eat some lunch out of the bikes and wait for the truck. The owner of Aerostich turned out to be a nice guy and helped. He gave Pete a tube and we decided to leave the patched tube in the tire since it had not leaked yet. Taking the new one as a spare.
Here we are in Coldfoot with Greg.

Truck heading south.

We head south after three flat tires on the KLR.
Now in Yukon crossing gassing up.

Well what do you know I have a flat! Saluting the tire.

I felt it for quit a few miles but kept going till the big paved pull off.

I used some tire plugs I bought at Advance auto in NC. They worked great.
I plugged two holes there.

Mark takes pic of chain guard less Strom.

We head south again and decide that we have to touch the pipe.

If he can do it I can.

Stuck

We get our Dalton sign pic on the way back.

Now we leave the Dalton headed for Fairbanks my tire is flat again so this time I just put air in it and go.
We make it to camp at 11 pm in fairbanks. What a day we shower and Dad and Alvin made some really good cheese burgers with peppers in them and some chicken. What a day.
Here are some mountain pics of the day.

While we were riding down from Deadhores Dad and Alvin went to Trails end BMW to pick up the chain and rear sprocket. The parts arrived just as Scooter told us they would. Thanks Scooter. They also got our tires and camp chairs.
They had dads bike all ready to go for the next day. They kind of enjoyed there day off the road I think.

The cabin to check into at camp. Notice the low door.

That was one hell of a day!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #96
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 18 June 23 2009

Today we rise a little late from the long day before.
It is time to do some maintenance after the Dalton. On the way down yesterday I had a flat rear and also killed the rear pads. I brought some rear pads with me after reading other advriders problems on the Dalton. Adjust the chain and I end up finding 8 leaks on my tire.
I plugged three then stopped and barrowed some green slime from Alvin. That seemed to fix it, for now.
I still have know idea how I got eight holes all the way around the tire. It happened after we stopped at hilltop before yukon crossing coming south. They had a wash area so I washed my radiator it was really rocky where you wash your bikes.

Ok by now we have conquered the Campbell hwy, Dempster, Top of the World hwy and the Dalton. Now the only dirt road is the Denali. This day ends up being our coldest day of riding rain and just plain cold.

Pete stays here at camp for another day. So we say bye to Pete and on our way to Denali.
We ride from Fairbanks to 20 miles from Paxxon on the Denali Hwy Covering 110 miles of dirt roads today.
Todays pics.

A cool riding friend for 3 days.

Heading south from Fairbanks to Cantwell.

Look a Caboose!

We reach Denali a little to touristy for me pretty little city..
Where are the Harleys?

Time for lunch

Bikes out front of the HD shop

After lunch we ride over to the Denali N.P. museum. and buy some post cards and mail them out from Denali.

Waste no space.

In the museum

The only wolf pic, we heard them but never got a pic.

Now we head for the Denali hwy Dirt. Or should I say mud?

A local in town told us ride three miles up the Denali and look back for Mt Mckinley. He told us that it is one great place to see it when the skies are clear. It was raining. So instead of looking at the mountain Dad and Alvin threw on there rain jackets over there Fieldsheer Adventure jackets. Then we headed out.

Ole chipmunk.

Look at all the snow This was a beautiful road. Even in the rain.

Mark was leading when all of the sudden we passed two huge Bald Eagles in a tree right next to the road. So we slow and turn around and Marks bike takes a nap. By then the birds took off.

We keep going and I stop because I saw this to the North.

The gang

The gang going

Now we are on a hill and riding and off to the left we see a huge Brown bear. It was out of our cameras reach but we had brought Binoculars. Then we reached camp about ten miles later.
No trees these last 60 miles or more.
Camp was freezing

This is how we had to get the wet wood going. I throw in my cook stove.

The stove got the wood going. This night I went to bed with more clothes on than normal. We had Ice on the bikes in the morning.
good night.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #97
Uncle Bucks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Food

Thanks again for the great story and pics. Curious about what you did with your food in bear and critter country?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #98
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bucks
Thanks again for the great story and pics. Curious about what you did with your food in bear and critter country?
Thank You.
Most of our food was mountain house dehydrated or zatarans and other vacuum sealed foods. Except for fruits and crackers. We would keep the food in the side boxes. Figuring if a bear comes to camp it is better the bikes than the tents. Before bed we left nothing out.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #99
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Thanks for the tips

Awesome RR, and Great pics too. I just recieved my "wine cans" today and all I had to do was add soap and boiling water to clean them out. These things are the friggin Cats Meow! Going to go get some aluminum to make some holders, and mount them. Thanks again.
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #100
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan
Awesome RR, and Great pics too. I just recieved my "wine cans" today and all I had to do was add soap and boiling water to clean them out. These things are the friggin Cats Meow! Going to go get some aluminum to make some holders, and mount them. Thanks again.
No problem.
Yeah I really like mine. Way better than plastic cans.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #101
boynamedsue
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I love the report! Come to find out I live just down the road from you! Heading up north Next July. Would love to meet sometime and chat.
boynamedsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #102
WildMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Awesome RR...

I am planning basically the same ride for next June/July and I want to Thank You for sharing this ride ! I am currently looking at tents etc. and I have narrowed the list down to 7 different ones, of which 3 are marmot's ! I like the orange color ! I am definitely open to any riders joining in, as it is good to have extra hands/eyes when things go a little bad ! LoL.. could you give more details about your home made air compressor ? Also, you buddy that used the Army Mermite cans as panniers, did he take the stainless steel inserts out of them, or did he use them just the way they were used in the Army ? One last question, How many hours did it take to fab/install your pannier racks & panniers ? I have a Buell Ulysses that I am planning on using for this trip, and I may want to put the factory bags/trunk on a shelf at home so as not to risk damaging them, and those Mermites cans look like an economical solution ! Thank's...

Steve.

WildMonkey screwed with this post 03-06-2010 at 01:41 AM
WildMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #103
squirley
punk in drublic

Oddometer: 151
Noticed that a couple of you had the fieldsheer andventure jackets and pants. I have the same but it never rains here in the desert so I am wondering how they did in the weather. Great ride report and very informative. Thanks for taking all the time to put it together!
squirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #104
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildMonkey
I am planning basically the same ride for next June/July and I want to Thank You for sharing this ride ! I am currently looking at tents etc. and I have narrowed the list down to 7 different ones, of which 3 are marmot's ! I like the orange color ! I am definitely open to any riders joining in, as it is good to have extra hands/eyes when things go a little bad ! LoL.. could you give more details about your home made air compressor ? Also, you buddy that used the Army Mermite cans as panniers, did he take the stainless steel inserts out of them, or did he use them just the way they were used in the Army ? One last question, How many hours did it take to fab/install your pannier racks & panniers ? I have a Buell Ulysses that I am planning on using for this trip, and I may want to put the factory bags/trunk on a shelf at home so as not to risk damaging them, and those Mermites cans look like an economical solution ! Thank's...

Steve.
I really like my tent, never leaked a drip.
The Mermite cans he won on Ebay and he did gut the stainless out to make them lighter and more space inside. He left the stainless in the lid. Then he took some good clear silicone and just for safety sealed up all the seams and then used the outside spicket and shot water all over them. No leaks.
As for the time to build the racks. Alot of time was getting use to the bender taking time not to junk alot of material. Then we drew the design to scale on the floor and bent each piece to fit. Three weekends plus some nights after work.
The air compressor was one of those cheap large automotive portable air compressors. I took it apart and pulled out the cord and the compressor it is not large at all. It looked alot like the 100.00 Aerostich hand held pump. It is probably the same thing. Then it had one of those cheap rotary switches so I trashed that and had no switch. Just plug it into a powerlet and away it goes. I took some aluminum and bent in a vise and rivet it together. I left a hole on the inlet side of the pump. It worked great. I used it on seven flat tires. Just look for a cheap auto compressor 12volt at a yard sale or flea market mayby.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #105
CAGE FREE OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirley
Noticed that a couple of you had the fieldsheer andventure jackets and pants. I have the same but it never rains here in the desert so I am wondering how they did in the weather. Great ride report and very informative. Thanks for taking all the time to put it together!

Thanks.
I think they said the jackets did good except in a down poor. Mine and my brothers Fieldsheer Highlands did not leak at all. The pants all did great.
In the cold they did good the liners are pretty warm. At night at camp I always wore the liner. None of us had any heated clothing either.