Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #61
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
So like the LC4 the 625 is longer available new anymore?

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #62
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,350
Basically no, it's not made anymore. However, there were juicy discounts on the superceded model due to the 690 being available, and if you hunt around you might get lucky and find one gathering dust on some dealers floor, or a VERY low k unit at a very reasonable price. They are one great bike - bloody legends.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #63
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,148
I have the much older sister sitting around waiting for a good seeing to.

93, LC4 600.
I'd have to say it is one of the most fun bikes I have ridden.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #64
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
Basically no, it's not made anymore. However, there were juicy discounts on the superceded model due to the 690 being available, and if you hunt around you might get lucky and find one gathering dust on some dealers floor, or a VERY low k unit at a very reasonable price. They are one great bike - bloody legends.
My local dealer (Newcastle KTM) has a 2006 model with 500ks on it asking $8500.
I'm tempted to buy it myself, but if been there and done that so time to move on.
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #65
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,350
That's a real bargain there Mudders. If I was swimming in cash I'd be tempted myself. Once the latest'n'greatest is out, nobody wants to know about the older sister eh, but the LC4 bikes have been around long enough to be fully sorted and developed, and they ain't slow by any measure.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #66
trussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
technically the new 690's are still LC4 motors, but have efi and probably a number of other changes.
trussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #67
cascade63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Views on a '02 640E ?? Got low kays and sub $5k
cascade63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:46 AM   #68
two_dogs
Andrew M

Oddometer: 23
ebay cheapy

Does anyone know history of this one, nice looking bike.

Closest thing to a do all bike in my opinion

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Andrew
two_dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #69
BigM
Hello :-)

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628
If you do much in the way of road miles and dont have a CD hub are there other ways to meaningfully reduce transmission damage?
Always ride with big knobblies, they seem to take some of the impact. Make sure your chain is bang on perfect tension. Don't accelerate nor break hard... easier to just get a cush hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussell
technically the new 690's are still LC4 motors, but have efi and probably a number of other changes.
They are 'new LC4's full redesign as far as I know not a single part is the same.
Leo Vince X3 Pipe, Scotts Steering Dampner, Woody's Rear Wheel + Cush Hub, Race Tech Gold Suspension, 18L Tank, Bark busters, Trail Tech SCMR16 HID Helmet Mount, Comfort Seat, Bark Busters, Stealth Sproket, Trail Tech X2, Michelin Desert

Cedo Nulli
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #70
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,791
I would agree with BigM.....the knobbies take a lot of the pulse...i see it in the knobbie track on my driveway...spits gravel back on each power stroke.....I avoid bitumen like the plague whenever I can.
The KTM dealer I bought from recommends doing the oil at 3000klm intervals instead of 5000km...he says it will help with cushioning.

But you have to remember the 625 is a enduro bike...for off road use, unlike the 640 Adventure which does both...so it wasnt born with a cush hub.

But yes....a cush hub would be a good investment.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #71
Canuck in Oz
you still here

Oddometer: 628
Back in the game

KTM Newc SXC SOLD! Not sure who bought it, probably some half-septic

Solved the road/cush issue with my (glad I didn't sell 'em) 640Adv motards that bolted straight on, bar a 320mm brake caliper adapter. Just have to toss the other wheels on for Adv trips (I don't do one day bush bashing).
Got it for the trade in price (Thanks Linc). He won't shed any tears though. With a 27L safari tank, under bar dampener / risers, and the other usual distance gear on the shopping list...

What a hoot this thing is, so much lighter than the Adv. Rode in circles around Newc 2 hours in the rain yesterday with my new toy.. sore cheeks from grinning.. I could copy this post directly to the "What makes KTM so Great" thread!

Thanks for tollerating the self indulgence.
Attached Images

Canuck in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #72
Canuck in Oz
you still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_dogs
Does anyone know history of this one, nice looking bike.
Andrew
Out of rego. If more than 3 months, it's a big strike against. Worth keeping an eye on anyway..

$900 worth of suspension work ?! That confuses me. I was told the same thing about my bike with only 2200km. Neither bike looks like they've seen a speck of dirt. Isn't the reason someone has paid $15,000 for a new KTM because of the top-of-the-line stock suspension? I mean, unless they race.. c'mon now, they must have money to burn. Am I missing something..

Canuck in Oz screwed with this post 02-06-2010 at 06:41 PM
Old 02-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #73
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck in Oz
KTM Newc SXC SOLD! Not sure who bought it, probably some half-septic

Solved the road/cush issue with my (glad I didn't sell 'em) 640Adv motards that bolted straight on, bar a 320mm brake caliper adapter. Just have to toss the other wheels on for Adv trips (I don't do one day bush bashing).
Got it for the trade in price (Thanks Linc). He won't shed any tears though. With a 27L safari tank, under bar dampener / risers, and the other usual distance gear on the shopping list...

What a hoot this thing is, so much lighter than the Adv. Rode in circles around Newc 2 hours in the rain yesterday with my new toy.. sore cheeks from grinning.. I could copy this post directly to the "What makes KTM so Great" thread!

Thanks for tollerating the self indulgence.
nice pick up Rod, seems Ironic that when you had the ADV I was riding a SXC, and now you got one too
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #74
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck in Oz
Out of rego. If more than 3 months, it's a big strike against. Worth keeping an eye on anyway..

$900 worth of suspension work ?! That confuses me. I was told the same thing about my bike with only 2200km. Neither bike looks like they've seen a speck of dirt. Isn't the reason someone has paid $15,000 for a new KTM because of the top-of-the-line stock suspension? I mean, unless they race.. c'mon now, they must have money to burn. Am I missing something..
Unless you are 100+kg and/or carry a fair bit of gear then you'll need heavier springs front and rear.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:54 AM   #75
Canuck in Oz
you still here

Don't you mean the other way round? .. IF you are a sumo or plan to have the adv set-up ie; big tank, lots of gear, etc... then you need heavier...

I thought of that angle, but that's simply a sideways suspension adjustment, not an "improvement" or "upgrade" for and average size rider using it for standard open trail riding me thinks.
Both bikes were/are for sale in stock condition, not modified as adv tourers.
Still... $900 for heavier springs and some thicker oil? Yikes!