Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 AM   #16
TheBuster
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have just had my fuel pump replaced in my 2009 990 SMT, so I can confirm that it does suffer the same problems as the Adventure. I've done about 30,000 miles on the KTM including the whole length of the Pan American Highway from Ushuaia, Argentina to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska on it. Whether it's down to some of the crap fuel that went into the tank through South America (unlikely in my opinion) or just running the bike constantly for months on end at low fuel levels (and thus uncovering the fuel pump) I don't know. Basically the bike was ridden everyday for about 300-700 miles over three months. Thankfully the pump only started to go after I'd made it to Prudhoe, and I had zero problems with the bike prior to that.

Just so you know, the first signs of it going are basically lack of power when you open the throttle, especially when the fuel pump gets hotter as your ride, and eventually overheats and stops working. It's definitely heat related, as it manifested itself less on cold mornings and evenings and when fresh cold fuel was put into the tank from petrol stations.You'll eventually reach a point where you can only ride the bike using the tiniest of throttle openings, and have to stop every 50 miles or to refill the tank with more fuel. I did about 2500 miles in Alaska and Canada with the bike in this condition!

Incidentally, I know of two 2010 Adventures that did the same trip as me last year and both their fuel pumps had to be replaced. All the KTM dealers I've spoken to are in complete denial about the whole thing, but that's too be expected I guess, as nobody wants bad press.

After doing a bit of research it turns out that the fuel pump part numbers for the SMT and the Adventure are different although obviously both suffer the same chronic failure eventually.

Just thought I'd get it out there so everybody knows.
TheBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #17
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuster View Post
I have just had my fuel pump replaced in my 2009 990 SMT, so I can confirm that it does suffer the same problems as the Adventure. I've done about 30,000 miles on the KTM including the whole length of the Pan American Highway from Ushuaia, Argentina to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska on it. Whether it's down to some of the crap fuel that went into the tank through South America (unlikely in my opinion) or just running the bike constantly for months on end at low fuel levels (and thus uncovering the fuel pump) I don't know. Basically the bike was ridden everyday for about 300-700 miles over three months. Thankfully the pump only started to go after I'd made it to Prudhoe, and I had zero problems with the bike prior to that.

Just so you know, the first signs of it going are basically lack of power when you open the throttle, especially when the fuel pump gets hotter as your ride, and eventually overheats and stops working. It's definitely heat related, as it manifested itself less on cold mornings and evenings and when fresh cold fuel was put into the tank from petrol stations.You'll eventually reach a point where you can only ride the bike using the tiniest of throttle openings, and have to stop every 50 miles or to refill the tank with more fuel. I did about 2500 miles in Alaska and Canada with the bike in this condition!

Incidentally, I know of two 2010 Adventures that did the same trip as me last year and both their fuel pumps had to be replaced. All the KTM dealers I've spoken to are in complete denial about the whole thing, but that's too be expected I guess, as nobody wants bad press.

After doing a bit of research it turns out that the fuel pump part numbers for the SMT and the Adventure are different although obviously both suffer the same chronic failure eventually.

Just thought I'd get it out there so everybody knows.
To bad that you had this problem,

I did not read any problem about this on KTM forums in europe.
But i read a lot about crappy fuel in the america's. this isn't a problem in europe
Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #18
1WD
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 776
I agree, the quality of fuel and the lack of maintenance to the fuel pump (filters) makes the pump work too hard then this causes it to fail.

The pump is the same as the ADV range, just that the SMT version has a low fuel sender unit in it.
1WD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #19
julesmt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
No problems with my SMT, now 30.000 km on the clock. I`ve never heard of any problems with 990 (avd, sm, superduke) fuel pumps in europe. I`ve heard of clogging fuel filters, but only in countries with questianable fuel quality.
julesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #20
seh750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
But i read a lot about crappy fuel in the america's. this isn't a problem in europe
When people talk about the "crappy" fuel in America, what exactly are they talking about? Is the formula of the fuel different? Is it the ethanol content? Is there debris in the fuel in the USA that isn't present in Europe?
07 Suzuki GSXR750
04 BMW R1150RT (Project, for sale)
seh750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #21
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by seh750 View Post
When people talk about the "crappy" fuel in America, what exactly are they talking about? Is the formula of the fuel different? Is it the ethanol content? Is there debris in the fuel in the USA that isn't present in Europe?
No ethanol and no debris in the fuel.
At some pumps you can get E5 but most used is just regular fuel(95) and high octane fuel (100).

I don't get it why there is debris in the fuel any way.
Do they use very old storage tanks?..
Old 07-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
Mikezilla
Big in Japan

Oddometer: 27
Quote:

Just so you know, the first signs of it going are basically lack of power when you open the throttle, especially when the fuel pump gets hotter as your ride, and eventually overheats and stops working. It's definitely heat related, as it manifested itself less on cold mornings and evenings and when fresh cold fuel was put into the tank from petrol stations.You'll eventually reach a point where you can only ride the bike using the tiniest of throttle openings, and have to stop every 50 miles or to refill the tank with more fuel.
I have about 7000km on my SMT and having this same issue. Exactly as described. The bike is a 2010 but practically in brand new condition. I am so mad I can pull my hair out and set it on fire. I tried changing the filters and resetting the ECU but nope. It gets so bad i can only make it about half a Kilometer at a time, only in first gear at about 20km/h
Mikezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Most gas stations in America have 'up to 10% ethanol content.' It's a problem for sure as it promotes corrosion.

Btw, SMT's rule. I'd like to add one to the garage.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #24
Mikezilla
Big in Japan

Well, the Fuel pump was indeed my issue. Died under 8000KM and ran nothing but premium Japan fuel through it since day one. One thing they did was install stick on heat shielding on the fuel tank around the radiator claiming that heat could of been the cause of premature failure.
Mikezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #25
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Pumps

Inmate Gefr has replacement pumps and filters waaaay below Orange prices
Old 09-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
Ghost Man
Adventurer

3000 Miles and no Problems!

My 2012 990 SMT has 3k and no issues with the fuel pump.
The dash stopped working but is under warranty and the KTM mechanic said he has seen a few of those.

My wife has a 2012 990 Adventure with about 2k and no issues with the fuel pump either.
Ghost Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
My 2012 990 SMT has 13k. At around 5K the fuel filter started to plug and it would starve for fuel at higher throttle positions. I didn't really want to pay the price they want for the simple filters at the dealer after only 5K miles so I took the pump/filter assembly out of the tank and cleaned up the sock and paper filter elements in clean gas and compressed air. There was a bunch of junk in them. I'm at around 13K now with no more problems. Don't know if I got into some bad gas earlier in the year or what but I may take it out and clean them again just to make sure the pump isn't being over worked or starving itself.
I have found the filter kits on Ebay for around $135 I think, but that is still nuts in my opinion for no more than what they are.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
The wife has about 25,000 miles on her '10 SMT. Loves the bike but I've had to replace the pump's fuel filters once already. They had essentially disintegrated and were providing no filtration. I blamed this on the high amount of ethanol in most of our midwest gas.

Avoid ethanol in all our vehicles whenever possible.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #29
samueleuk
Sam

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
I have just had my fuel pump replaced in my 2009 990 SMT, so I can confirm that it does suffer the same problems as the Adventure. I've done about 30,000 miles on the KTM including the whole length of the Pan American Highway from Ushuaia, Argentina to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska on it.
Hi there,

did you do the Pan American Highway from Ushuaia, Argentina to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska on the SMT or on the Adventure? I am planning to do it with the SMT, but I am concerned about off road riding (is there much?) and the small fuel tank. Any advice?

Sam
samueleuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 AM   #30
Zombie Master
Zombie Master

Oddometer: 13
Clogged filter

My 2013 990 SMT had clogged filters @ 6000klms. There is no way I got a bad tank of gas either. Must be manufacturing debris at this low mileage.