User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #91
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Bumping the dorososuro thread....

Dave Searle, Editor of Motorcycle Consumer News proclaims the Dorsoduro as the best naked bike of 2010 in his Open Road Column - "Editor's Picks" - in the January 2011 issue.

"Aprilia's Dorsoduro 750 V-Twin is so much fun to ride and such a definitive expression of the Italian Roadster that it almost deserves it's own category, but Naked Bike of the Year works well too. With the engine set to "stun" - Sport mode - it makes 750cc seem like the perfect engine size. It's greatly improved suspension, state of the art brakes, and dramatic styling make it a two wheeled art object that threatens whiplash to onlookers as it passes."

Couldn't have said that better myself!

cpallen screwed with this post 01-01-2011 at 12:31 AM Reason: can't spell dorsoduro!
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:07 AM   #92
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpallen View Post
Dave Searle, Editor of Motorcycle Consumer News proclaims the Dorsoduro as the best naked bike of 2010 in his Open Road Column - "Editor's Picks" - in the January 2011 issue.

"Aprilia's Dorsoduro 750 V-Twin is so much fun to ride and such a definitive expression of the Italian Roadster that it almost deserves it's own category, but Naked Bike of the Year works well too. With the engine set to "stun" - Sport mode - it makes 750cc seem like the perfect engine size. It's greatly improved suspension, state of the art brakes, and dramatic styling make it a two wheeled art object that threatens whiplash to onlookers as it passes."

Couldn't have said that better myself!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #93
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpallen View Post

Here's another view without the top box. Cortez, I detected a hint of sarcasm in your comment so I ditched the block of wood for something more subtle and exotic. I hope this compensates for the inappropriate sense of style exibited in my prior photo.
What a great work of art! If only I could take advantage of this machine by being able to ride'em like they meant to be, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58N3i7vjTfA

My next life.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #94
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Sellers remorse

I've had my dorso for sale for economical reasons. Everytime I drive by the shop where I have it for sale I want to cry. It's just too beatiful. I thought that moving to upper michigan from Chicago would make me not want a streetbike as much and I would be happy with just the ktm dualsport and snowmobiling in the winter. Ice studded the ktm by the way and it was an absolute blast on the ice, highly recommended.

The roads up here were made for the dorso, curves, hills, and scenery and a lack of traffic.

I don't think I can sell it and if I don't I know I'm gonna spring for a new exaust. I think the gel seat I bought was worthless and I may try and get it redone for longer rides.

The idea of a second set of 19" spoked front and a 17" spoked rear and maybe some Continental TKC or similar would look f-ing ridiculously awesome on this bike. Throw on sometype of skidplate solution and I would be wiling to ride some somewhat serious offroad stuff. Nothing to extreme but at least some serious exploring. Did I mention how f-ing sweet it would look!

Any ideas on what hubs could be a possible match? Woody's Wheels could take care of the rest. Had them do up a street set for my KTM and they turned out great. This may cost a small fortune but I think I'm just stupid enough to do it.
Yooper-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #95
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Dorsoduro does gravel!

Yooper keep it! Have an exhaust shop cut out the catalytic converter and keep the stock exhaust - pick up a set of the tires used on the new Ducati Multistrada.

Pirelli Scorpion Trail front 120/70 ZR17 Rear T190/55 ZR17

Whatever you do, don't look at the 'Toureg" threads here on ADV Rider!

cpallen screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 11:41 AM
Old 02-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #96
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

I'd like to hear more on eliminating the cat but leaving stock can.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #97
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper-at-heart View Post
I'd like to hear more on eliminating the cat but leaving stock can.

Buy cat eliminator.

Eliminate cat.

Leave stock can on.

Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #98
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
Buy cat eliminator.

Eliminate cat.

Leave stock can on.

Your humor is appreciated but he did say bring it to a muffler shop and have them cut it out. The cat eliminator is around $300. I'm no expert when it comes to exaust, what will eliminating the cat do for the bike with or with out stock can?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #99
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Puig Windscreen

I've got the puig windscreen on ebay for bid and buy it now for $135 shipped. Works well. Perfect condition. easily removed. Bought it for $189 from AF1. I just don't go far on the bike and don't need it.

ADV special $110 shipped.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #100
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Eliminating the catalytic converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper-at-heart View Post
Your humor is appreciated but he did say bring it to a muffler shop and have them cut it out. The cat eliminator is around $300. I'm no expert when it comes to exaust, what will eliminating the cat do for the bike with or with out stock can?
I haven't done this yet but the opinions are the exhaust will have a deeper tone and alot of the central heat will be eliminated. Supposedly the closed-loop ecm can cope with either after market cans or eliminating the cat, but not both.

Supposedly any competent muffler shop will have the materials and technology to remove the catalytic section and replace it with a piece of pipe.

Here's a picture of a Shiver mid pipe with the cat so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

I am not considering after market cans because I personally don't care for loud bikes. I may not mess with the catalytic converter either because I don't know how much it will affect emissions and I don't want to be a polluter. I don't think either will do much for performance other than what would be gained by losing a few pounds

At a minimum I'm going to get the exhaust system ceramic coated like I did on the BMW. Looks great, much cooler.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #101
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Humor aside...that is correct. Since there's no way (yet) to change the fueling, changing either the cat or the pipes will not lead to any real power gain.

The main reason people get rid of the cat as far as i've seen on the 750's is to alleviate the heat that can build up, especially sitting in traffic.It will let the bike breathe a bit better and the sound will get a bit deeper.

My dealer had a GPR exhaust lying around which i got for cost so i bought it. With the baffles in it's really not that much louder than the stock cans and the weight saving is not insignificant compared to the stock boat anchor.

Bike is running fine with the slip-on and i'd imagine it would run fine if you eliminated the cat and ran the stock exhaust

Hope that helps.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #102
Yooper-at-heart OP
Moto Adventurer

Possible Spoked Wheel Solution

I asked Woody's wheel works if there could be any chance of a spoked 17 rear and 19 inch front for the dorsoduro. Here is my post and his reply:

Woody, I sent you hubs and you guys made me these. 17 rear, 19 front supermoto-ish set up. They look sweet.

I also own one of these. Aprilia Dorsoduro

I would love to have a wheel set like one of these for more light offroad and adventure riding. I'm not really a streetbike guy but love the Aprilia Dorsoduro. I have no idea if spoked wheels(17 and 19) are possible fit due to lack of hub match but if you found a way I would be very interested and so would alot of other owners. Any thoughts?

19/17 for an aprillia Dorsoduro???,,why not????

Yooper at Heart and all your buddies...

send me very good drawings with dimensions or both wheels with all the spacers /discs etc in place and i'll bet i can put something together for ya

woody

PS i like the look of your set-up much better than the SM version,,how about you??? a lil ride report would be in order

even started a new thread recently,,,perhaps you can initiate it,,,my thoughts are make a post ,,then add and modify /edit it so folks can see all the variations rather than have itb e a big discussion thread..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646947

My question to all you Dorso owners, who would be interested and does anyone live in Denver and would be willing to bring woody some wheels to examine?

Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #103
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Wheels?

Will that skid plate fit my dd?

cpallen screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 07:15 PM
Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #104
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,809
"My question to all you Dorso owners, who would be interested and does anyone live in Denver and would be willing to bring woody some wheels to examine?"

I might be interested in a set of 17/19 wheels for my duro... I don't live close enough to do anyone any good though.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #105
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
"My question to all you Dorso owners, who would be interested and does anyone live in Denver and would be willing to bring woody some wheels to examine?"

I might be interested in a set of 17/19 wheels for my duro... I don't live close enough to do anyone any good though.

Please tell me about your skid plate!