User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Elsa, Lancasters Frankenbeamer build...

well, introduced myself, and my box of bits, a few days ago.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981054

i am not normally one to name bikes or cars but thanks to a bizarre connection made by bill harris in that introductory thread, my box of bits project has become 'elsa'...

today i moved elsa outside for the summer. i fitted the subframe and the swing arm and took a few pictures to start this build thread...

[IMG]image by ianlancaster, on Flickr[/IMG]

tomorrow i intend to touch up any paint which needs tidying and adjust the head bearings, maybe fit the bevel drive...

ianhl screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 11:50 AM
ianhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,927
Bravo.

Great things have small beginnings.

--Bill
Old 05-31-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
OLD GREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
That should be a fun project, nowhere to go but up. The tank looks neat, Does it get rubber knee pads?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
ianboydsnr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
If you could get to the airhead wee kend on ukgser, next weekend then you could probably ride it home

Your certainly closer than me!
ianboydsnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old green, the tank is from a dnepr... It came with one rubber, I am going to buy a pair when I can find a supplier.
Still trying to decide if I am going to keep the tank 'as is' or strip it and go with a bare metal look...
Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

made some progress today. sorted the swing arm, fitted the bevel box and rear wheel. slotted the front wheel into the K75 forks and adjusted the head bearings. side stand fitted...

Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,181

Hmmmm....
I have some titled frames....subframes...swing arms......an engine...electrical stuff......spare transmissions.....final drives.....wheels.....tanks....fenders......bucket of bolts....almost everything needed but a front end.....
I swore I'd never build "another one" after the last one.......but it sure is tempting.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post

Hmmmm....
I have some titled frames....subframes...swing arms......an engine...electrical stuff......spare transmissions.....final drives.....wheels.....tanks....fenders......bucket of bolts....almost everything needed but a front end.....
I swore I'd never build "another one" after the last one.......but it sure is tempting.
You know it makes sense...

I've got an R65 front end sitting here!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhl View Post
You know it makes sense...

I've got an R65 front end sitting here!

Your good looking "start" got me thinking...

Maybe I'll start piecing something together this Winter.....
Since I have three other bikes to ride I won't have to be in any hurry like the last one I cobbled together..... only took two years.:

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:09 AM   #10
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

well, this box of stuff just turned up...

which means i am going to have to work out how to put the (large box of bits purporting to be an) engine together...
Old 06-08-2014, 03:23 AM   #11
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

a speedy delivery from motorworks meant i could sort the oil filter tube out yesterday morning...

which spurred me on with putting an engine together. the one pictured below was my preferred option for a bottom end...

my intention has always been to put an engine together with the good-ish looking bits in the pile and then take my time over building a mint engine for the longer term...

but as always in life a problem quickly popped up. when i took the protecting rags out from around the con rods i noticed a bit of play in one side. this is what i found...

now, i am no expert but even though the crankshaft journal(?) feels smooth i don't reckon i could just chuck another set of bearing shells in there and hope for the best.
i guess it will be a complete strip for this now, re-grind, etc, etc. looks like this will now be the base for the long-term engine and i am going to sort the other bottom end i have been looking at sooner than i wanted to...

at least its sunny today!
Old 06-08-2014, 04:43 AM   #12
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhl View Post
a speedy delivery from motorworks meant i could sort the oil filter tube out yesterday morning...

which spurred me on with putting an engine together. the one pictured below was my preferred option for a bottom end...

my intention has always been to put an engine together with the good-ish looking bits in the pile and then take my time over building a mint engine for the longer term...

but as always in life a problem quickly popped up. when i took the protecting rags out from around the con rods i noticed a bit of play in one side. this is what i found...

now, i am no expert but even though the crankshaft journal(?) feels smooth i don't reckon i could just chuck another set of bearing shells in there and hope for the best.
i guess it will be a complete strip for this now, re-grind, etc, etc. looks like this will now be the base for the long-term engine and i am going to sort the other bottom end i have been looking at sooner than i wanted to...

at least its sunny today!
Ouch.

That's going to be a major judgement call. Removing the crankshaft is going to be and uber-major side to the project. You have another engine block to look at?

You may be able to polish out those journals in-place with crocus cloth. Can you feel the scratches/scores with a fingernail? Sometimes you can fit new bearing shells and have it work "for the time being".

--Bill
Old 06-08-2014, 05:09 AM   #13
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Ouch.

That's going to be a major judgement call. Removing the crankshaft is going to be and uber-major side to the project. You have another engine block to look at?

You may be able to polish out those journals in-place with crocus cloth. Can you feel the scratches/scores with a fingernail? Sometimes you can fit new bearing shells and have it work "for the time being".

--Bill
i have got two top-ends and one bottom-end and, although i have got my eye on another bottom-end anyway, i was hoping to get a 'for now' engine up and running and then build the 'long term' engine when my wallet was out of hospital and had recovered from the initial project.

its odd, but the journal doesn't feel bad at all, slightly rough to the tip of my nail but not what i was expecting after i fished the bearing out. having thought about it, i am tempted to chuck a bearing in there and see what happens... if its bust, its bust and if it runs, well, thats a winner! it can't really make it any worse and its only 20 for the bolts and shells.

is 'crocus cloth' emery cloth? like, is crocus a brand name?

cheers
Old 06-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #14
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 813
Crocus cloth is an abrasive sheet similar to sand paper or emery cloth but covered with a layer of very fine loose iron oxide particles rather than with bound grains of abrasive. "For final metal and gemstone finishing." It is available in various grades (particle sizes).

As copied from Wikipedia.

Use something very fine, you want to smooth, not actually remove any metal. Hopefully, what you will be removing is that left behind by the old shell as it is soft.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #15
ianhl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
Crocus cloth is an abrasive sheet similar to sand paper or emery cloth but covered with a layer of very fine loose iron oxide particles rather than with bound grains of abrasive. "For final metal and gemstone finishing." It is available in various grades (particle sizes).

As copied from Wikipedia.

Use something very fine, you want to smooth, not actually remove any metal. Hopefully, what you will be removing is that left behind by the old shell as it is soft.
thanks. so maybe 1500 grit wet or dry... or a metal polishing cloth of some sort...