Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
henrybayuzick OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Question Rear dual shock and engine hardware

Hey guys,

I've got a 78 R60/7 that I've been building. When I originally got the bike the stock shocks where toast and they weren't even mounted with the correct hardware. It was a combination of mismatched bolts, nuts, washers, and electrical tape as "bushings."

Anyways, I ordered some brand new shocks and they came in Tuesday, so I want to make sure I fit them with the correct mounting hardware. Is this something I should be ordering OEM parts for or could I find some comparable hardware at Lowes?

Secondly, when I put the engine back in the frame, I left out the side stand because it was messed up as well and I don't mind leaving the bike on it's center stand. However, the side stand acted as a spacer for the engine mounts, so instead I replaced them with the regular spacers, but I've still got a pretty good amount of engine shake, to the point that it makes me a little nervous that I've done something wrong or left something out. How much should the engine shake and any tips for getting it more secure? I can take a video of the bike running and take some pictures of the spacers I'm using on the mounts.

Thanks!
Henry
henrybayuzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
RagerToo
vroom vroom

Oddometer: 305
My 2 cents, I'd get the oem fasteners.

Max's: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...47&vin=6185515

Bottom bolts are a little pricey, US$9.50 each. (yow) Many bolt selections, even if they are quality usually are in 1/4" (Amer/ English) or some specific metric increment (10 mm).

Maybe I'll adjust that, metric selections might have what you need. I'm recalling a lot of American (engine) bolts are typically a length not carried in the average parts store selection. And not to confuse things much more Japanese and Euro spec metric thread pitches are slightly different. Or at least, they used-ta be. Both American and Metric bolts use an international grading scheme as well. I've had someone say say, "Oh well Dongo Co. uses their own Grade 8 markings." -Uh no.

It's a sore spot for me. I've worked on a lot of equipment and specifically, a lot of mobile cranes. I don't currently ... but I find places where, "Gee I can't put 3/8 bolts in so I'll put 5/16 in. It's easier than aligning things so they work as designed." Rattle rattle, "somebody else can fix it when it falls apart again, where's my coffee."
Old 02-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,181
Another vote for OEM hardware. The extra price often indicates a special feature, such as length or strength, needed for application. Some of this stuff is not even available so it's also a good idea to get the stuff now that you can because more stuff gets dropped from the supply line all the time.

Hopefully you have the stud on the final drive for the right bottom shock mount. If I'm not mistaken that one is either NLA or the part you get does not fit or if it does it is too short. (sorry for the bad memory but that stud is a difficult one)

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
henrybayuzick OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys.

I've got my cart together and will buy the factory parts. Disston, luckily my stud is intact.

Any advice on the engine shake?
Old 02-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrybayuzick View Post
Thanks guys.

I've got my cart together and will buy the factory parts. Disston, luckily my stud is intact.

Any advice on the engine shake?
There should be metal spacers between the engine and frame at all four corners. The front two have the attachment points for the side stand and center stand springs. The rear two are just fat washer looking things.

Big Bamboo screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 09:31 PM
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 746
Lowes and Home Depot won't have much that you can use. Check out the more specialized little stores like Ace Hardware or Sentry Hardware, they both carry a decent assortment of metric fasteners.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
RagerToo
vroom vroom

Oddometer: 305
Henry, pardon me for giving more than my 2 cents upthread.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerToo View Post
Don't apologize - you were only giving good advice. I think that the OP is going the OEM route by the sounds of one of his later postings.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:31 AM   #9
henrybayuzick OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerToo View Post
Not a problem! Thank you.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
henrybayuzick OP
Adventurer

Okay, so I've got a noticeable amount of engine rock. It rocks up and down not side to side. Like I said above, I replaced the side stand and center stand "spacers" with regular spacers that are used in the back engine mount. Is there something different about those spacers that would give my engine up and down play? Or am I missing something that secures the engine in place?

Lastly, is it bad to run the engine in place with it shaking a bit? I can take a video of rocking if needed.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,777
Did you torque everything properly?
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
henrybayuzick OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
Did you torque everything properly?
I haven't tightened the engine mount bolts down yet because I didn't know if I would have to put the original front spacers back. Will torque those nuts against the frames really make a huge difference?

Also: I think I have an aftermarket center stand. Mine doesn't look like the fiche. Do you know of any after market stands for these bikes?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,326
On the engine mounts, if you're missing spacers or have spacers that are too thin, no, DON'T snug them up yet.

Hans Lowe, aka Hucky's Spare Parts http://bmwhucky.com/ has most of the correct bolts/hardware but many are offered in stainless steel.

The likely aftermarket centerstand is a Reynolds Ride-Off stand.

Dsane Ausherman's website is a cornucopia if BMW info

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/index.htm

--Bill
Old 03-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 215
Henry, where's the pictures of your scoot?

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,181
Reynolds Ride Off center stands were very popular some years ago. Many of us still have them and love them but they are hard on the main frame and over time the tabs will be bent. Just something else to fix but it gets worse and worse as the years go by soooo.... I'm ready to get rid of my ride off stand finally. If the threads of the main frame are damaged there is a special repair insert that fixes this.

DO NOT rely on the pictures used for microfiche parts diagrams as any sort of relevant mechanical drawing. It does not work this way and you can make mistakes if you fall into this trap. The pics are generic and apply to many years even after some changes are made the old pic will sometimes be used. There is no rhyme or reason to all this so be thankful when sometimes the pic looks like what you have in your hand but don't expect it to happen all the time.

The Max site gets around some of this confusion by showing pics of the parts.

But there is a lot of info involved and it takes years to grasp some of the finer parts of micro fiche reading. (I'm still working on it myself)

Engine spacers are each different for the four corners I believe? Use the correct spacers.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote