ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
wirewrkr
the thread-killer
 
wirewrkr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: HIGH desert
Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley
R80GS Basic was not sold in the USA???
Nope.
RV
__________________

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,419
I added the heinrich tank finally thanks solo
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:23 AM   #18
jellycow
Back on track?
 
jellycow's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: the Netherlands
Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley
Heinrich

Years-1981-84
Capacity- (10 gal/40l)
Material Const- steel?
Color-primed
Petcock- Left and Right, extra "T" for fuel line on right carb
Gas Cap-screw type
Attachment-???
Fitment issues- ???
This /5 or newer Heinrich was interesting for two reasons: One, the indent in the tunnel area, and Two, the ID tag on the bottom. This tank was made by Werner Reinschluessel, who took over tank production in 1981from Karl Heinrich.

ID tag on lower left- Werner Reinschluessel (RW on the tag) made these tanks from 1981 to 1984, when he transferred the rights over to Jeckel. Code 208 indicates that this tank is made for R80 G/S, and holds 40 liters. The number 743 is the serial number.


Just to complete a bit: I have this tank and it does not fit the G/S or GS without having to bend the bracket which hold the relais (at the rightside hand of the horizontal top frame tube.) Further it does limit the clearing of the front fork, they tend to hit the tank when close to steering stop.
But, it is a great tank, looks the part and will fit both G/S and GS (the latter when using a G/S seat or after cutting the front flap of the seat.
Here it is on my former GS (ignore the G/S side panel):
O, and it will fit a /6 if the seat is shortened a few inches. It has become the hand-me-down tank, wandering along from airhead to airhead as my choice of bike changes through the years.
__________________
[Sir Mix-a-lot mode] I like big tanks and I can not lie [\Sir Mix-a-lot mode]
jellycow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #19
wirewrkr
the thread-killer
 
wirewrkr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: HIGH desert
Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellycow
Just to complete a bit: I have this tank and it does not fit the G/S or GS without having to bend the bracket which hold the relais (at the rightside hand of the horizontal top frame tube.) Further it does limit the clearing of the front fork, they tend to hit the tank when close to steering stop.
But, it is a great tank, looks the part and will fit both G/S and GS (the latter when using a G/S seat or after cutting the front flap of the seat.
Here it is on my former GS (ignore the G/S side panel):
O, and it will fit a /6 if the seat is shortened a few inches. It has become the hand-me-down tank, wandering along from airhead to airhead as my choice of bike changes through the years.
That tank was meant for /7s and even the R90S.
__________________

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #20
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rob Farmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire. England
Oddometer: 4,730
You've got your rear shock on upside down. That's the later shock that goes the other way round. I bet the aluminium collar catches your battery?

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #21
jellycow
Back on track?
 
jellycow's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: the Netherlands
Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
That tank was meant for /7s and even the R90S.
You mean my tank or in general? The tag on mine has a code 208. Which in One Less Harley's post is indicated as for the G/S.
Anyway, let's not go totally off topic here, I just tried to give some more info on the tank.
__________________
[Sir Mix-a-lot mode] I like big tanks and I can not lie [\Sir Mix-a-lot mode]
jellycow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,419
Rob, thanks, but that shock has been removed some time ago
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #23
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing
 
SOLO LOBO's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Shoreline, WA
Oddometer: 8,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellycow
You mean my tank or in general? The tag on mine has a code 208. Which in One Less Harley's post is indicated as for the G/S.
Anyway, let's not go totally off topic here, I just tried to give some more info on the tank.

The 208 was designed for the G/S specifically and I had no fitment issues with mine....
__________________
"punkrocks what it's all about" - J. Strummer



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #24
zenben
all roads are one
 
zenben's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Portland Oregon
Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650
Sorry to hijak this thread. I picked this up from an Adv ad for my R80ST.

Pic 1: note shape is like R80ST, not R80G/S, not R65




Pic 2: note filler drain and vapor vent tubes. Also, welded on tabs that have no purpose on an ST or G/S




Pic 3: note ST, R65 style filler but with PITA spring loaded flap like later GS. Also note original color - looks like G/S blue.



Clueless in Pittsburgh
My '84 has the same tank. Its an original G/S item.
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #25
bmwblake
upside down parker
 
bmwblake's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: nashville, tn
Oddometer: 3,261
i have those tabs on my 88 r100gs. i'd never encountered them on an airhead until this bike. there's a brace that runs under the frame and attaches on each side to better secure the tank.


Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650
Pic 2: note filler drain and vapor vent tubes. Also, welded on tabs that have no purpose on an ST or G/S

bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #26
timdog
a.k.a. Josh
 
timdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Troy, MI
Oddometer: 612
Does anybody know where to get good red/blue decals for a stock 81 g/s tank? I read somewhere that not all reproductions are accurate or of good quality.

Thanks.
timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #27
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog
Does anybody know where to get good red/blue decals for a stock 81 g/s tank? I read somewhere that not all reproductions are accurate or of good quality.

Thanks.
I had a sign company make some for a R100GS tank,from the originals on my tank. Problem was getting the original color match.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #28
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,419
Will a R65 tank fit??

Does anyone know if a R65 tank will fit a G/S
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #29
bmwblake
upside down parker
 
bmwblake's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: nashville, tn
Oddometer: 3,261
i think it's the same tank as the r80st so it shouldn't be a problem. i have one on the shelf that i'm going to modify and then put on my r100gs. you're welcome to swing by for a test fit if you find yourself down this way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley
Does anyone know if a R65 tank will fit a G/S
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #30
Gimmeslack
furthur
 
Gimmeslack's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Oddometer: 2,447
It's been said before, but I'll repeat: The R65 tank lacks the extra "crease" in the side but is otherwise VERY similar (if not identical).

The SHED flap was brought in early 80's and my 86 G/S STOCK tank had it (till i cut it out).

I'd be willing to bet yours is a G/S or ST tank (they are the same) which has been repainted white (from the stock blue).

No mystery here at all

PS if you'd like to compare this tank with an R65 tank, I can hook you up with my brother who has my old R65 and lives in Pitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650
Sorry to hijak this thread. I picked this up from an Adv ad for my R80ST.

Pic 1: note shape is like R80ST, not R80G/S, not R65




Pic 2: note filler drain and vapor vent tubes. Also, welded on tabs that have no purpose on an ST or G/S




Pic 3: note ST, R65 style filler but with PITA spring loaded flap like later GS. Also note original color - looks like G/S blue.



Clueless in Pittsburgh
__________________

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014