ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 01:47 AM   #31
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
what's wrong with you lot! trade a boxer for hd rust (and i'm being kind here to amercian iron)?
NEVER!

Go and do a proper resto on the bm, and you'll feel much better. and if you must get a v twin, think confederate (at least that's class/ier). guzzi is also good (... but only as a 4th or 5th bikes, you understand).
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #32
GSIslander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey
I think some of the negative advice you are getting about Harleys here is from non Harley owners, so take it with a grain of salt.

Take ALL the advice here with a grain of salt, as only YOU will be able to determine if it WAS a good idea or not AFTER you buy the HD. The best advice that I have seen on this thread is to keep the BMW and get the Harley. However most of us can not afford to do that. Dreams cost nothing tho.....
Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #33
Quickv4
Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilandau
why not get a victory? its harley like with better engineering and a bit of off-step flair --
They are much more refined, those 100ci engines are tourquey beasts. No more pushrods, OHC!!!! They are as American made as a harley! I VERY MUCH urge you to test ride a Victory before you make a purchase. Most Victory salesmen I have met that deal in only Vics and maybe one other brand tend to be the most enthusiastic guys Ive seen.
I test rode a Kingpin 8 ball, and was impressed by the fit and finish.

They also handle farkin good (very firm backbone-frame), until you hit the floorboards!

www.v4hondabbs.com
Quickv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #34
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I own and wrench on both...I'll guess that the vast, vast majority of either Harley owners and BMW owners can't say that... There is NO comparing the two bikes...at all...I've owned seven Harleys in 36 years, and I've owned one Beemer in that time...I'll never get rid of the Harley...the Beemer is expendable, however, mostly in terms of getting another Beemer, although if push came to shove, the German Engineering Nightmare would be the first to go!!!

OP, your question in the long run is simply impossible for us to answer! Shows a bit of indecision, perhaps fear...if you don't know the answer by now, I say keep the Beemer...Harley dudes/dudettes don't give a shit what anybody else thinks!
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #35
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,398
It depends entirely on what you like.

I have both, an old AirHead BMW and an old Ironhead Sportster.
Logically the BM is the better bike.
But the Harley gets ridden more, lots more, including some long haul touring.
The BM is an efficient appliance. The Harley is just a hoot.

The Harley is easier to fix than the BM - and the Harley requires lots less special tools and knowledge, specially in the BM transmission/bevel areas.
The Harley has been more reliable than the BM - probably because I did a full rebuild on the Harley before riding it whereas I just fix things as they wear out/break on the BM (ie contantly).
Also Harley parts are waaay cheaper than BM parts.

Ideally, keep your BM and buy the Harley too. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #36
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_finn
Thanks for all the replies, I have to say I'm a little surprised
I might have to do it just for the assless chaps
I was thinking of a FXR but will be looking on CL for that smoking deal that ran when parked just needs carbs cleaned.
Here is the R90 ..

Get an FXR...they are great machines. Best handling bike the moco ever built.

good luck either way...

Great spot for a picture...gotta love the 5 mile "ride"

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #37
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey
I bought a Harley, then sold my BMW a year later (not an easy task, unless you give them away). The Harley is more fun to ride, I can still do 600+ mile days on it or run to the store. I don't miss my 06 1200GS at all. I think some of the negative advice you are getting about Harleys here is from non Harley owners, so take it with a grain of salt.
Must show you were using the GS like a touring bike, not an adventure bike. The Harley could never substitute for that use, at least by a sane owner. Again, like I said, personally I'd have two bikes that serve different purposes... hey, I already do... and working on a road legal flat tracker to have a hot rod too! It's nice to have a change of pace.

At least you didn't unload one or the other before knowing for sure it was what you wanted.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #38
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSIslander
Take ALL the advice here with a grain of salt, as only YOU will be able to determine if it WAS a good idea or not AFTER you buy the HD. The best advice that I have seen on this thread is to keep the BMW and get the Harley. However most of us can not afford to do that. Dreams cost nothing tho.....
You can if you don't buy the latest and greatest... and I think an R90/6 isn't exactly the highest dollar of the BMW lot. It won't pull a ton of money on resale, so why not hang on if parking isn't an issue. We all know bikes work better in pairs...

like us... ... when one goes down the other keeps going!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #39
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53
like us... ... when one goes down the other keeps going!
...which is why I have two of the dern thangs...
Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #40
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
dude,
I am right there with you. Despite folks saying how wonderful boxers are, I have owned my R90/6 for almost 8 years. it is fun and cool yeah, but has also been a big quirky pain at times. Don't care what folks say about BMW reliability vs harley, it is not so true in my experience.
I have been looking at Dyna Wide glides and I feel no shame. If you trade the beemer in you will get nothing for it though.
get what you like.

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/

newride screwed with this post 02-09-2010 at 01:55 PM
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #41
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,450
It sounds like your ready for a change, I would recommend a 1960's Panhead or a 2000 Buell. They have tons of character, never get boring, and should be as reliable as a BMW, if well maintained and not beat and abused.
Oh, the Pan Head will test your metal. You have to gauge the temperature of the motor, ambient air temp., how much choke to use (if any), and how much spark advance, then kick........ JUST TO GET IT STARTED! Its a love/hate thing.
Cheers!

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #42
Grafspee
one bike is never enough

Oddometer: 202
I think your crazy

I think your crazy! The BMW will still be worth what you have in it ten year from now, probably more. Hell in ten year you or whoever gets your bike will still be riding it or have restored it and have a great classic bike to show off. If you want the Harley, find a used one the prices are down right now, buy it. Keep the airhead you will be sorry later if you get rid of the R bike. I've had 6 airheads and I gotten rid of 4 of them over the years. Guess what, wish I had them all back right now!
Grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #43
GSIslander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafspee
Keep the airhead you will be sorry later if you get rid of the R bike. I've had 6 airheads and I gotten rid of 4 of them over the years. Guess what, wish I had them all back right now!
Actually I think that is true of most of us and all the bikes in our collective past. I can think of at least 4 of my past rides that I wish I still had.

One of them was my '96 Harley Road King. Even tho I spent MORE in repairs that year than I did on payments! Does that make Harleys unreliable? Not at all. Just the one particular bike that I had.

Ive never owned a BMW but I sure would like to at some point. But I NEED a shop because I would like to do my own maintenance because I cant afford to pay the HUGE shop rates.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #44
madleemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Keep your beema and buy a harley, nice choice to make when you go for a ride then
madleemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #45
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madleemark
Keep your beema and buy a harley, nice choice to make when you go for a ride then
Truer words have never been spoken...It's the Yarddog Way...