User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Inprogress OP
Adventure forthcoming

Oddometer: 207
Question Airhead frames

I owned a R80G/S until a couple of months ago. My main reason for selling he was that I found the ergonomics uncomfortable. On previous bikes, even my DR650SE now, my bum becomes an issue after long stretches. However, with the G/S, it was my bum, my back, my shoulders. This was because the G/S frame is the RT frame, which as road bikes go, leaves you with a lurched seating position. My legs where to bent and my lean to forward. So, are the previous R's shorter, possibly? Or would some serious high-bars solve that problem?

Reason I'm asking is my next bike will be a boxer again, only, I am moving to the R1100GS for I suspect (haven't sat on one yet) the ergonomics is a 100 times closer to the R1200GS I have ridden. But, as it stands, if I can get another of the old airheads which I still love, and I can get a R1100GS seating position with some really high bars, or that the previous R's maybe have shorter frames, then I have a lot more choices on bikes than the very scares 1100.

Happy trails

Democracy and politics is a conflict of interest
Inprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,236
I had a g/s and a 100PD and an 1150 GSA all at the same time. Out of the two airheads the 100PD was my choice every time for anything more than a few miles. The bonus with the PD is it's easier to fit bar risers to make the bike suit your ideal position than it is on the g/s as well as being a more comfortable, stable ride. The 1150 was an awesome distance machine but lacked the slightly quirky character of the PD. In the end I sold the g/s and the 1150 and kept the 100PD
Rob Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inprogress
I owned a R80G/S until a couple of months ago. My main reason for selling he was that I found the ergonomics uncomfortable. On previous bikes, even my DR650SE now, my bum becomes an issue after long stretches. However, with the G/S, it was my bum, my back, my shoulders. This was because the G/S frame is the RT frame, which as road bikes go, leaves you with a lurched seating position. My legs where to bent and my lean to forward. So, are the previous R's shorter, possibly? Or would some serious high-bars solve that problem?
As far as I know the G/S frame is different then the road going frames.

But the frame is not what makes the ergonomic package.
That's the seat, foot pegs and handle bars.
Many people have to modify a bike to get the right triangle.
Some like their feet forward, some back, same with high and low.

for the seat some like narrow, tall, wide. The list goes on.

From your description it sounds like you need lower foot pegs, a wider taller seat and taller handle bars,
I'm guessing your what like just over a couple of meters tall then?

Look at these two photos
Draw a line from where you sit on the seat
To the handle bars, and to the foot pegs
make the R80g/s Match the R1200Gs and you're done.

Or just get one of these
Old 02-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Inprogress OP
Adventure forthcoming

Oddometer: 207
I never noticed that the 100PD looks so different from the side. I new it was diffirent, but never realised that the seat and handlebar triangle looks so different. I always thought the G/S and 100PD was the same bike except other tank and seat and the introduction of the light fairing assembly. Maybe I should find a 100PD and test it.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Hopefully airhead is in my future again.

Happy trails

Democracy and politics is a conflict of interest
Inprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,614
There are three of four options to reposition footspegs on airehad GS's (and G/S's), and a number of different options to raise and/or move back the handlebars.... and there is an aftermarket company (name escapes me right now) that sells a "tall" version of the R100GS seat to give you more leg room....

It seems to me the R100GS's add more room aft of the driver area, but may not be any real significant change to the driver's position.... someone correct me if I am wrong.

Having owned both, all I can say is that I had the same foot pegs on both (Fastways) am running the stock handlebar height on the G/S, and had 35mm risers on the R100GS... the R80G/S feels like a smaller bike, but the ergo's feel about the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inprogress
I never noticed that the 100PD looks so different from the side. I new it was diffirent, but never realised that the seat and handlebar triangle looks so different. I always thought the G/S and 100PD was the same bike except other tank and seat and the introduction of the light fairing assembly. Maybe I should find a 100PD and test it.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Hopefully airhead is in my future again.

Happy trails
BTW the seating postion of a late model R100GS is the same as R100GSPD
Old 02-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
OZbeemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
'89 R100gs

On my 89 100GS it was simply a matter of fitting a nice set of risers/backs and padding the seat with some gel and a sheepskin to help the bending of the knees and now I can roll along all day without any major discomfort.
OZbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Same as yours but without the seat mod. But I had to lower my pegs as my knees were killing me on long trips. The extra 1.5" lower and more forward pegs made a huge diff!
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote