ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2004, 10:53 AM   #1
elektron OP
effin ef

Oddometer: 259
Lake Michigan Circle tour (from chicago) [street ride]

As per request here's a short summary of my recent lake michigan circle tour (pics at the end):

A friend and me took off from Chicago around 10am, headed east on I-90 and over the skyway, take I-94 (toward detroit) north [east?] into michigan. now going north through michigan you could stay on expressways, but the fun part (i think) is riding along the lake and through a few towns, so we took Route 31 north through the lower peninsula. route 31 doesn't stay along the lake, but goes around some real purdy lakes and towns. we ended up getting to mackinaw city (north in the lower peninsula of michigan) a little late so it was dark. decided to camp out at wilderness state park ( RV accessible :-/ ). the road off of 31 out to wilderness state park actually had some fun twisties in it. had some food, saw a lot of stars and watched the moonrise. was a nice place. in the morning we got up around 8am or so, went through the twisties and took the Mackinac bridge to the UP. nice bridge, think it's around 5 miles long, costs 2.50$ to get across. awesome view.. middle lane is metal grating.. fun :-) after yo get into the up you follow Route 2 west across the north end of lake michigan. was pretty windy, more great views.. then truck south on I-43 to Milwaukee and then I94 back into Chicago.

all in all it was a bit over 900 miles of riding through some beautiful parts of the country.. i will now leave you with some pics :

sunday morning at wilderness state park:

here's my buddy on his harley following me over the bridge:

here's the middle sectionof the bridge.. suspension :-)

the middle lane in the middle section is that fun metal grate stuff

coming down the other side of the bride, don't you like bridges ?

after you get over the bridge, route 2 runs along thenorth shore of lake michigan for quite a while.. and it was windy up there :

it's a big lake... i saw less colors than i expected..

and i liked this ban behind the gas station..

cool sights all over up north

and i's getting toward the time of year that the rips are gonna start heading south :-) anyway... for a paved street ride, it was a blast ( this is the second time i've done it. first time i did it alone. )

cheers
Old 10-04-2004, 11:09 AM   #2
skeeter
Captain Safety

Oddometer: 1,872
Looks like a fun ride. I was going to do it earlier this year but got rained out. It looks like the metal grating on the bridge might be a little tough with the knobby tires I have on my dual sport.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:56 PM   #3
babyz
n00b

Oddometer: 3
i probably past you going the other way,i.e. chicago through wis. we had some rain the first day and lots of wind the second. great 2 day ride!!!
babyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
12bridn
I need throttle therapy

Oddometer: 4,092
Thought I'd share some pics from there. Not a bike trip but shoulda been. Hey, is that gas station near these wind turbines?? It looks familiar:

Lookit these roads...

Worlds biggest jetski:

Same bridge:

Scenery

I'm up for next time. So many dirt roads and paths and trails up there it made me sick that I spent my time fishing
12bridn is offline   Reply With Quote