Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,805
Maybe gated is kinda like skiing out of bounds.... Quite a few gates south of Cambell River on the backroads... Some south Islanders mentioned about paying a fee or bribe to get through... Likely some areas will be closed during fire season and some because they're privately owned timberlands....

There are very few gates north of Cambell River so it is something I am not used to...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
I always slid the KLR under the gates. I'm not a resident so I was going to play the 'Tourist' card if it came up. I always assumed that if the gate was closed and locked then there was no one on the road passed it.

Last summer I checked out the gate blocking the road just up from the Denman island ferry. It was closed but not locked. I didn't want to get stuck on the other side of a locked gate if someone came along and locked it behind me. Past that gate is the old Tsable river mine site with a building or two left behind to explore....
Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Maybe locked gates to stop the theft of Cedar? Always been a problem on Vancouver Island, and now that there is not too much logging going on, the shake mills had a hard time getting shake blocks.

But watch out for them Offroad logging trucks, I came pretty close twice riding those roads, once in a blind curve, all I really saw was a bunch of wheels within inches of my bike in a cloud of dust. Only thing that saved me is that I was going slow and could stop in time.

Also if you ride like I did standing up on the bike, turn one of your mirrors up so you can see behind, and check regularly for empty logging trucks behing you. Believe me they probably go faster than you or me.....just let them pass and wait a few minutes for the dust to come down.

But great riding all the way up and down the Island....!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by storch
Anonny: I always wondered and worried about the logging traffic.
What kind of radio do you carry? How do you know about the different channels used before you get there and how many channels can you use?
I have been facing logging trucks coming downhill a couple of times.Not nice.
I have a Motorolla hand held (forget the model # but it's an older model) If you can find some locals the assigned frequencies are posted at the start of the road. Mine holds 24 channels that you can change with the keypad at will....... so you could get a decent radio and program it at the beginning of the logging road.

Basically you would call "(kilometer number) up the (insert road name)" riding in

and
"(kilometer number) down the (insert road name)" riding out.

Always start with " Zero up the (road name)"

They logging trucks use the words "empty" going in and "loaded" coming out with the mileage marker and road name, usually there is a place at every kilometer marker board to get in the clear but you can just organize that on the radio with the trucks as it happens. Believe me they will appreciate you efforts, look out for you and help with radio lingo as well as act as ambassadors to their local areas.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #20
dump-a-thump
lapsed atheist

Oddometer: 559
A good choice for a radio is an Icom H-16. Too retro to be industry used, but you can directly put the road frequency into it using the cross-over and function 5.

Yaesu also has several good radios for a reasonable price, but they require you to remove the cover and clip a solder connection to "unlock" the road frequency range (about 146 to 170).

Many of the newer radios don't allow you to program freqs directly in (Like the Icom F50, Motorola GP300, Kenwood 201). Even with 3 banks of 128 channels I still end up with the occasional freq not being availible.

Up, empty and from the highway are common calls for going in, down, loaded and to the highway are the usual calls for coming out. Some areas use numeric names and lots of the guys just call "3245". The 3200 road at 45km. Pay attention and he'll call in another few clicks, and you'll know which way he is going.

You should call every three of four clicks (5 mins max), cuz often, especially when the driver isn't expecting industry traffic, he'll just call once or twice and then shut up. And if you think an off-highway truck is wide, try getting past a half-asleep low-bed driver with a D9 and 14ft wide slag blade.

Never assume that there will be a clear spot at the milage marker. In ten years of building FSR, I've never even herd that suggested. It sure ain't on our building plans.

At the bottom of every forest road there should be a sign showing the freq in usage on the specific road.
dump-a-thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #21
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,952

These are Hayes HDX logging trucks which were common down in the south coast area but are becoming rarer. They have 16 foot 'bunks' on their trailer - which does give you little clearance. In my former career, I was a logger on Vancouver Island and had the thrill of driving these around empty when I was a maintenance shop helper - they were all automatics and fun to drive around as a nineteen year old. Just remember, they don't stop quick.

We regularly would lock gates behind us, when we were actively logging. It kept the hunters out of our area - we didn't want to be mistaken for a 2 point buck by some overly enthusiastic idiot. If we were hauling log loads out then the gates would remain open. So my suggestion would be that if you see fresh tire tracks - big ones - and an open gate, I would enter these areas with great care. I've done riding in recent years in active logging areas without a radio, but I made damn sure that I spoke to people who I met in company vehicles about my riding plans. Even in this era of heightened liability, they would let me continue and were pleasant to deal with. And this is in an area where there have been fatalities between loaded trucks and off road vehicles. Just use your brains.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #22
RRockhead
Hoser.

Oddometer: 95
I'm in the process of finding a route from the Comox Valley west to Nootka sound via the logging roads. I ride with my gps then check it against my sat maps on my computer. If the backroads map showed the logging roads I would take it along . I found this thread with a google search.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #23
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRockhead View Post
I'm in the process of finding a route from the Comox Valley west to Nootka sound via the logging roads. I ride with my gps then check it against my sat maps on my computer. If the backroads map showed the logging roads I would take it along . I found this thread with a google search.
The route that gives you the most gravel road out to Nootka would be the TCAT, free GPS files are available here:http://www.graveltravel.ca/index.php...id=2&Itemid=20

The Vancouver Island writeup is here:http://www.graveltravel.ca/index.php...id=2&Itemid=20
http://www.graveltravel.ca/index.php...island&catid=1
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #24
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
Re: gates. It is my understanding that in the vast majority of cases (on the island, at least) the timber companies have access to the timber rights only. The land is crown land, and as such is open to the public. A timber company has to apply for a permit of some sort to put up a gate, and that permit has to be signed by whoever it is that has authority over that sort of thing. I feel like a dick being the guy who slides his bike under a gate that is obviously there to stop me, but I believe that in many cases that gate should not be there in the first place. That doesn't make circumventing a gate the right thing to do, but putting up a gate that shouldn't really be there doesn't seem any better...

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #25
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
That is not true of the south island, Timberwest owns much of that land, it was privatized as part of BC joining confederation.

Be extra ordinarily wary on active logging roads until you have let someone with a radio see you and see where you are headed, he will likely call that in to everyone, then you just have to be very wary
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #26
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Like Pongo says, the south east of the island is all private land, due to the 1883 E&N railway land grant. 10% of vancouver island granted to Dunsmuir, including all timber, coal and other resources. What an effin joke. Currently logging companies now own the land (Island Timberlands, Timberwest, etc). They have the right to kick you off *their* land, because you are trespassing. Is this "morally" right? Well, that's a debate. But this is the way it is.

Island Timberlands, who owns a lot of the land has ISO certification. In order for them to keep this certification they do allow recreational access - if you have insurance. Here is there blog whereby they publish access details: http://blog.islandtimberlands.com/. As of today - it looks like they have closed all their lands to recreational access because of fire hazard.

Now a decent question would be - which lands belong to Island Timberlands, Timberwest and other companies? Good luck with that one. The best you can do is submit a route map to them and they *might* tell you.

Here is a map of the E&N land grant. This is almost all private land.

OneEffinName screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 06:21 AM
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #27
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

I just finished going to the Island Timberlands website. They show an updated map of their current land holdings, which is much smaller than the original land grant. If these areas are only their active logging areas and not their complete land holding, is anyone's guess. What Timberwest owns is also anyone's guess.

I was doing a bit of riding around the north side of Cowichan Lake the other day. From what I could tell, the fire warning signs were only at high and not showing extreme. Everything was showing open heading over toward Nitinat Lake - I imagine that the road to Bamfield would also be open to allow access to these communities.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #28
mazembe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I rode from Skutz Falls down to Glenora today and the guard at the gate wasn't too happy.Everything was wide open till Glenora ,but as far as he was concerned I shouldn't have been in there.He was decent as soon as I explained and eventually let me through. Nice little detour around Duncan.

mazembe screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 04:03 PM
mazembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #29
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

What guard at what gate? We've got a wierd one at Copper Canyon - even the locals don't like to deal with the man. He has an elevated sense of his self importance.... How long is that ride from Skutz Falls to Glenora? Doable on a large GS? If you could post a map, that would be great.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #30
mazembe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
It's the Island Timberlands gate in Glenora off Waters rd. big Island Timberlands sign.The guard was decent and seemed genuinely concerned about fire hazard.I guess they had had people having campfires over the weekend on there land and I can see how stressful that must be.Yeah no problem on a big bike,not long 20 30 minutes.
mazembe is offline   Reply With Quote