Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #16
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829
A Frontera is a gas guzzling bad ass motorcycle. My brother has a 1975 360cc Frontera and its very anti-socially loud for the street and not AHRMA legal according to Dick Mann. Be prepaired to run out of fuel often. A 250cc Frontera is a better all around bike in my opinion. A better option for the street is a pre 1974 (AHRMA legal) 250cc Matador.

Dave
Come on, don't talk him out of it. I rode a slightly earlier model Matador it was very reliable and solid, tough bike. When the Frontera's came out I was hooked but sadly unable to buy one. The Matador was street legal, well for a while until my brother and I broke all the lights. That bike was comfortable running at 65 on the road, unlike other two stroke bikes I have ridden the Bultaco motor just kinda "tuned in" at road speeds, you didn't feel like you were winding it out, it felt like it liked it

On your brother's bike, is it running the ISDT kit, maybe he could rejet for better mpg's??????? Big two strokes are definitely thirsty though.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #17
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudWalker
Come on, don't talk him out of it. I rode a slightly earlier model Matador it was very reliable and solid, tough bike. When the Frontera's came out I was hooked but sadly unable to buy one. The Matador was street legal, well for a while until my brother and I broke all the lights. That bike was comfortable running at 65 on the road, unlike other two stroke bikes I have ridden the Bultaco motor just kinda "tuned in" at road speeds, you didn't feel like you were winding it out, it felt like it liked it

On your brother's bike, is it running the ISDT kit, maybe he could rejet for better mpg's??????? Big two strokes are definitely thirsty though.
Well I donít think itís a jetting problem the bike is stock more likely itís a big bore two stroke thing. Maybe we need to keep the Matador thing a secret the bikes are underrated by most and from what I have gathered the 5 speed bikes are very close in specification to a Metralla.

Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #18
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829
Well I donít think itís a jetting problem the bike is stock more likely itís a big bore two stroke thing. Maybe we need to keep the Matador thing a secret the bikes are underrated by most and from what I have gathered the 5 speed bikes are very close in specification to a Metralla.

Dave
I mentioned the ISDT kit because it's something I wanted to do but never got a chance......the kit for my Matador as stated in the owners manual (graph included), nearly doubled HP numbers IIRC. I'm guessing the kit didn't do anything good to mpg numbers. Mine had decent power (no wheelies) it would have been quite the ride with twice as much. My manual also spelled out mixture ratios for premix including values for running regular motor oil instead of 2-stroke oil.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #19
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,021
Did you get the Frontera?
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
norwestguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
TACO Frontera

I bought a 370 new back then. I really liked the bike but it was the most undependable scoot I ever had. I traded it in for a Yamaha XS 750 D2. The second year for the triples. It was a GREAT bike! For the dirt I went with a Honda 4 stroke. I've not had a 2 smoke since.
norwestguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
Sam Simons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
RE: Frontera

Frontera 360/370's are great machines,I've owned two...this one is a chum's:
Attached Images

Sam Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
One of these has become available locally recently, and I can't stop going to look at the advert. I should be looking for a KTM or nice sensible DRZ, but love the idea of an old school enduro / dirt bike. Anyone have experience of these and would like to tell me why it would be a thoroughly bad idea to pick this up, as I know nothing about them?

Could you please post the type and year of the Frontera?

Just to determine if the bike is perfect or even awesome.

Anyway if the bike is complete, expecially fitted with all the electrical components, don't have bend or rusty stanchions, (these are very difficult to get and a repair is costly), still good rims, (original Acront rims are also very rare, there are Morad rims still available), I would do it. If the brakes don't work very well the chrome plating inside
the hubs can have chipped off. There are replacement hubs available in the UK, France and Spain where you get
reworked hubs with steel inserts in exchange for only little money.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Simons View Post
Frontera 360/370's are great machines,I've owned two...this one is a chum's:
Is that a Triumph/BSA tank? It looks good on the Bul.
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #24
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
i had a model 152 250 frontera, loved it. - traded it for a model 134. the only weak point is the points ignition. swap in a motoplat and you're ready to rock. the frontera is similar to pursang, aside from: porting, head, and has the larger primary chain weight. oh and center stand, tank/bodywork and lights. i'm sure the big bore frontera's are very luggable, and scream on the top. all parts are available at prices similar to modern bikes components.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #25
Sam Simons
Gnarly Adventurer

RE: Frontera

"...Is that a Triumph/BSA tank? It looks good on the Bul..."

Yes,it is,nsu. I found it on ebay for him,he liked it,so I used it. (When he purchased the Bul,it was wearing,of all things, a Penton Wassel alloy tank and 'way too small Brit alloy fenders-not a pretty picture).
Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #26
GarageRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Hey Sam, any chance you can sell me that wassell tank for a Bultaco trials project I have?

Great looking Frontera!

GR
GarageRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Its amazing how good it looks. I have two model 143 Fronteras one is mostly original that I ride regularly and the other is in a million pieces with a bad trans and not sure what I'm going to do with it.

Heres my rider.
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #28
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Bulatco parts

For any of you that own or ride Bultacos, I have an uncle that has a garage full of them. Astros, Purands, Matadors..etc. He has shelves full of parts and engines and suspensions. Ive seen stacks of sprockets and forks. He has it all. If anybody is in the market feel free to PM me and I might be able to help you out. He raced VDTRA hence the reason to purchase everything Bul he could find.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
Sam Simons
Gnarly Adventurer

RE:Frontera

"...Here's my rider..."

Pretty nice,nsu. 'Round these here parts,this 'un is a keeper.....

G/R-The Wassell tank is long gone..sorry....It (finally) found a new owner at MidOhio.....Scarce as they may be, there aren't too many looking for such.....
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #30
nunzo
nunzo

Oddometer: 291
Frontera

Looking to buy a Frontera with a clear street title. Located in Ohio. Anybody know of one for sale?
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote