Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
rc51owner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I think I need a XT660Z Tenere but there is a small problem...

it isn't available in Canada.

I have been looking for a replacement for my 2006 BMW HP2 for a couple of years. Not because I *need* to replace it but because I am a bike whore and like to change bikes.

I have gone through my requirements list and need a larger version of the WR250R - low maintenance and low stress with good service intervals and good quality suspension. I like the simplicity of a single but also need it to be able to haul me and my camping gear for touring and exploring. I pack light but it still adds up to bulk and weight. I did think that I should consider getting the WR250R and then putting a big bore kit on it. But that would still leave me with a deflated ego of only riding a 300. :-)

So what do I do?

1) Wait until the Tenere is available in Canada?
2) Find an alternative until then?
3) If so what?

I will appreciate any input. And yes I know in the end it is my bike and I need to buy what works for me but I know other people are in the same boat so it is good to hear how they dealt with it.

Regards,

M
rc51owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
payser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
..maybe XTR 660 ??

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=188142&page=5

X challenge

payser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51owner View Post
I have gone through my requirements list and need a larger version of the WR250R - low maintenance and low stress with good service intervals and good quality suspension. I like the simplicity of a single but also need it to be able to haul me and my camping gear for touring and exploring. I pack light but it still adds up to bulk and weight. I did think that I should consider getting the WR250R and then putting a big bore kit on it. But that would still leave me with a deflated ego of only riding a 300. :-)
XT660Z does not have good quality suspension. It's not what I'd think anyone would honestly call anywhere near good or quality. You need to think total suspension overhaul with that bike, if that's what you're after. It's also no rocket ship in the engine department, it's got relatively low hp, and the bike weighs a lot. Maybe it'll outrun bigbored WR250R...

Characterizing XT660Z, I'd say one could think it as a slightly modernized KLR.
My 2 cents, YMMV and all that.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
grimripper
1pissanter

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
XT660Z does not have good quality suspension. It's not what I'd think anyone would honestly call anywhere near good or quality. You need to think total suspension overhaul with that bike, if that's what you're after. It's also no rocket ship in the engine department, it's got relatively low hp, and the bike weighs a lot. Maybe it'll outrun bigbored WR250R...

Characterizing XT660Z, I'd say one could think it as a slightly modernized KLR.
My 2 cents, YMMV and all that.
My brother in law has a 2010.

I tend to agree with you in all you've said from observation.
Underpowered, Overweight, Fragile, Undersprung, Not easily or cheaply modified in any of the abovementioned areas.

Also it has lots of shiny polished fibreglass? fairings pieces which are badly susceptible to errrr scratching or other damage.

Prone also to damage to exposed engine components, side cases etc without additional aftermarket crash protection although this can be said to apply to many other bikes in this market segment.

grimripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
rc51owner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Urm - bit of a bummer to hear your views on the Yammie... I appreciate the feedback from someone who has experience with the bikes. A newer version of the KLR I do not want

Regards,

M
Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
Pepepower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimripper View Post
My brother in law has a 2010.

I tend to agree with you in all you've said from observation.
Underpowered, Overweight, Fragile, Undersprung, Not easily or cheaply modified in any of the abovementioned areas.
I agree itīs like a evolutioned klr. Yes, itīs heavy and undersprung, how you say, but i dont think itīs underpowered.Itīs equal to the rivals. The only one that itīs over it itīs the ktm 690, but itīs playing in other league, (Ktm itīs not made for high kilometrage touring,) or fragile, I have crashed lots and lots of times with it, even at high speed ,in trail ride or tarmac, and the only stuff broken use to be the rear brake pedal.

Anyway I shouldnīt change a hp2 for a tenere, unless i hadnīt money enough for the mainteance.
Pepepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #7
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51owner View Post
Urm - bit of a bummer to hear your views on the Yammie... I appreciate the feedback from someone who has experience with the bikes. A newer version of the KLR I do not want

Regards,

M
There isn't a new version of the KLR, it's just the same old 25 year old model with a face lift and all the same old problems under the make up and paint

The Tenere 660 is a long way ahead of the KLR [I'm looking for one too].

But still not a motocross bike, things like the KTM's might be more in line if you want serious off road, if you want a mix of dirt and highway the Ten660 would be in the mix of prospective machines to look at. IMHO
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
What a lotta crap! My experiences with my XT660Z Tenere(june ī08, 62.000km's) are very good. Agreed, for that price you'll get a basic bike, which already performs very fine(a British lady, Jenny Morgan, did a tour in the States with an almost standard Tenere-only TKC80's, mostly offroad; after that she also did the Heroes Legend Rally with her Tenere, but then pretty modified). It's a reliable bike, good EFI and fuel economy, aftermarket is huge(Touratech, Off-the-road, etc.). Indeed, my Tenere got several upgrades&accesoires, but which bike doesn't? You'll turn a basic bike into a personal bike, adjusted to your needs. The Tenere is really an allround allroad: it does everything very well, is it backroad ridin', long distance ridin' with luggage, offroad. Good maintenance intervals, good part availability and so on....
Mods on my Tenere:
-Hyperpro progressive springs front&back;
-Leovince SBK exhaust system;
-Yamaha centrestand, bashplate, headlight protection;
-MDI handlebar risers 30mm;
-Hepco&Becker pannier frame and alu panniers;
-Touratech handguards, wide ribbed footpegs, small luggagerack&Enduro hecktasche, sidestand enlargener, tankbag;
-Off-the-road waterpump protection, fontfender enlargener, rearwheel hugger;
-stock windshield(just fine for me) and stock seat(does fine for me too, although for the long hauls, I use an Airhawk).

Some minor flaws(with my Tenere), which have been taken care of under warranty:
-the '08 breather was modified, replaced under warranty;
-locks replaced under warranty, typical Yamaha issue;
-cushdrive rubbers in the rear wheel fast wearing, first set replaced under warranty, thereafter on my account;
replace them with every new tyrechange( I got an average of around 20.000km out of the tyres and chain&sprockets, 'till now Metzeler Tourance, but as of next friday Heidenau's K60 Scouts, always with HD tubes; chain&sprockets always OEM Yamaha DID set);
-there were some Tenere's with electrical problems, but not with mine, no problems whatsoever, even run the first battery.

Here in Europe the Tenere sold/sells well and used for travel, commuting, offroad and so on. It's also a popular bike in Australia, where the Tenere is often used in rough ridin' conditions.
So, if you get the chance to try one, do it! I did get the oppurtunity in may '08 and I did order one just right after the testride! I didn't regret it!
Greetz, Hans.
Attached Images

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Pepepower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
What a lotta crap! My experiences with my XT660Z Tenere(june ī08, 62.000km's) are very good. Agreed, for that price you'll get a basic bike, which already performs very fine(a British lady, Jenny Morgan, did a tour in the States with an almost standard Tenere-only TKC80's, mostly offroad; after that she also did the Heroes Legend Rally with her Tenere, but then pretty modified). It's a reliable bike, good EFI and fuel economy, aftermarket is huge(Touratech, Off-the-road, etc.). Indeed, my Tenere got several upgrades&accesoires, but which bike doesn't? You'll turn a basic bike into a personal bike, adjusted to your needs. The Tenere is really an allround allroad: it does everything very well, is it backroad ridin', long distance ridin' with luggage, offroad. Good maintenance intervals, good part availability and so on....
Mods on my Tenere:
-Hyperpro progressive springs front&back;
-Leovince SBK exhaust system;
-Yamaha centrestand, bashplate, headlight protection;
-MDI handlebar risers 30mm;
-Hepco&Becker pannier frame and alu panniers;
-Touratech handguards, wide ribbed footpegs, small luggagerack&Enduro hecktasche, sidestand enlargener, tankbag;
-Off-the-road waterpump protection, fontfender enlargener, rearwheel hugger;
-stock windshield(just fine for me) and stock seat(does fine for me too, although for the long hauls, I use an Airhawk).

Some minor flaws(with my Tenere), which have been taken care of under warranty:
-the '08 breather was modified, replaced under warranty;
-locks replaced under warranty, typical Yamaha issue;
-cushdrive rubbers in the rear wheel fast wearing, first set replaced under warranty, thereafter on my account;
replace them with every new tyrechange( I got an average of around 20.000km out of the tyres and chain&sprockets, 'till now Metzeler Tourance, but as of next friday Heidenau's K60 Scouts, always with HD tubes; chain&sprockets always OEM Yamaha DID set);
-there were some Tenere's with electrical problems, but not with mine, no problems whatsoever, even run the first battery.

Here in Europe the Tenere sold/sells well and used for travel, commuting, offroad and so on. It's also a popular bike in Australia, where the Tenere is often used in rough ridin' conditions.
So, if you get the chance to try one, do it! I did get the oppurtunity in may '08 and I did order one just right after the testride! I didn't regret it!
Greetz, Hans.
Jejeje yes about the teneré i agree, but an hp2 with 100 hp, real good front fork and rear suspension, good aftermarket, and itīdont loose much money selling it...The hp2 itīs way better than the tenere!!
Pepepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,161
II lived in South Africa where the Tenere was available . After checking it out I feel that the DR650 is a much better dual sport at half the price. The suspension components on the Tenere are an absolute joke. WTF is with that? 80's technology on a 2011 bike. Pass.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
It isn't that popular in Oz as you may think, with many first owners already moving them on.

Their were five Teneres on the Yamaha shop ride last weekend which was through dirt roads and forestry trails and the Tens were all at the back and getting dropped the most. It wasn't until they got onto the bitumen that they came into their own. The cush rubbers on my mates are getting replaced every 5-6000 klms, about the same as his rear tyres. Probably depends on how and where you ride. You wouldn't be choosing Tourances or Scouts over here unless you are just riding long dirt roads and bitumen.

By the time you buy one here and mod it to make it half decent you are past the cost of a 690R with forks done, yet their second hand price has not been great when you go to sell.

They are a good all roads tourer over here and can carry a load where some other bikes can't.

So, not a load of crap Dallas, but just real world experiences with the bike in another part of the world.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
firefighter651
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Read dmh65 ride report with his bike,Paul when he stop in has great praise for this bike,I ask him if he had any trouble with the bike,he replaced 3 lightbulb after almost 50 000km not to bad for his trip.If you PM him you will get some great feedback about the 660.
firefighter651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Now thatīs the problem: it is used for hardcore offroad ridin', for which it is not intended in the first place by Yamaha. It can be done, with the proper modifications(tyres, suspension etc.), but it still ain't an offroad bike. And for sure ridin' skills of the rider....And for hardcore offroad ridin' there are indeed better options(WR, TT and such, KTM's etc.).
No, I stick to my opinion that the Tenere is an allround allroad travel bike(mouthfull....) with a good base to make it your personal bike(although I don't like the lowered ABS Tenere of this year, they turn it in a commuter bike.....). I'll stick to my trusty Ten, it does everything I want it to do. Cheers!
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
II lived in South Africa where the Tenere was available . After checking it out I feel that the DR650 is a much better dual sport at half the price. The suspension components on the Tenere are an absolute joke. WTF is with that? 80's technology on a 2011 bike. Pass.
Not only that ... but check out the real weight difference between the DR650 and the Tenere. But I think the OP is a bike whore ... isn't that what he said in post one? So the DR is not going to cut it at Starbuck's or the Waffle House. I love the look and mission of the Tenere but after reading more and more reports ... and then the COST Not for me thanks.

If the OP has money for three bikes ... one a $20,000 HP2 ... my advice would be to fly to UK ... buy the Tenere there and have a nice ride round EU ... maybe dip down into Morocco? That's what I did a few year back.
Kept my bike in France for a few years. You can even join Morocco tours to watch out for you. (not a bad idea there)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
rc51owner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Not only that ... but check out the real weight difference between the DR650 and the Tenere. But I think the OP is a bike whore ... isn't that what he said in post one? So the DR is not going to cut it at Starbuck's or the Waffle House. I love the look and mission of the Tenere but after reading more and more reports ... and then the COST Not for me thanks.

If the OP has money for three bikes ... one a $20,000 HP2 ... my advice would be to fly to UK ... buy the Tenere there and have a nice ride round EU ... maybe dip down into Morocco? That's what I did a few year back.
Kept my bike in France for a few years. You can even join Morocco tours to watch out for you. (not a bad idea there)
I might be a bike whore but I ride rather than going to Starbucks and basking in the glow of others admiring my bike

My days of having multiple bikes up and running is long over. The HP2 is my only working bike (I have a Norton Atlas that I am restoring but it is taking decades to finish it). I have had the HP2 since 2006 which is some sort of record for me as I use to swap bikes a couple of times a year

I have toyed with the idea of buying a bike in the UK and leaving it at my folks so I can use it when I visit them.

I much appreciate the responses people.

Regards,

M