ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Do we need a DR650SE information index?
In a word- yes. In two words- hell, yes! Do it. 67 90.54%
No. It ain't broke, don't fix it... 7 9.46%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #16
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ...
I'm a member of that forum. I'm in no way proposing this idea as a threat to your site. I'm happy to hear your site is gaining in popularity. Someday, your bike-specific forum might be where folks go to find DR650 info. I think that would be OK.

BUT... right now, there's a heap of answers already there. It could be easier for people to access. If this index idea takes off, I'll put links to it on your site myself . And the wiki, too.

This idea isn't meant to diminish the DR650 Thread, either. I check that thread at least once a day. The DR subforum at TT, I might check once a week. There's kind of of a compelling fascination seeing our thread grow... and grow...
I think we're on the same page, Krusty. I, too, check in The DR650 Thread at least once a day. I've asked a lot of questions there, and gotten a lot of answers from some very helpful and knowledgable folks whose mechanical and fabrications skills, speaking as a wrencher and fabber myself, I have much respect for.

I have no desire to diminish that thread in any way, and I'll continue to visit and hopefully contribute there. It's networking amongst fellow DR650 lovers and I'm all for it. Which is also why I'm enthusiastic about The DR650 Forum in my sig... the more networking the better. One doesn't take away from the other or vice-versa, they are two completely different contextual forms that share much of the same information.

Though I honestly don't understand some of the comments that indexing that information could somehow put our network at risk, or the one comment there that it would threaten friendships... Huh? Someone else said that another forum is "out of the question". Really? Why?

So yeah by all means, I'm for anything that would make all the invaluable DR650 info more easily accessible, and that includes doing what you are asking here, and/or contributing to the forum linked below. Or both. I'm just glad that we have multiple choices. (edit: it's not really my forum, I'm just a mod there)

Btw, thanks for your contributions over there, and that goes for the rest of ya'll too.

DirtyDR650 screwed with this post 02-10-2010 at 08:57 PM
DirtyDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #17
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
I appreciate the effort Krusty!

I've followed the DR thread for a couple years, read quite a bit but not even close to 100% People come and go, new guys arrive everyday, so the Index makes perfect sense as a quick reference for Noobs and old hands alike.

Hey, our very own Wiki !
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
Krusty ... OP
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,588
Bump...
Krusty ... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,130
I like...cut out allot of clutter from the main thread.
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #20
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,011
An index would be nice, but I'm not offering to do it and I guarantee that none of the site managemnt is going to do it....It would have to be a community effort...as it SHOULD be.

Since I'm not volnteering, I'm satisfied to live with it as it is.

I have a diverse stable of bikes and ADV is the only forum I can stand to spend time at. When I was in the market for a Harley to meet my specific needs, the information here was better than any received elsewhere.

Back to DR's, I almost never go to TT, this site has a better perspective and better cast of characters................just sayin'
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #21
Krusty ... OP
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill
An index would be nice, but I'm not offering to do it and I guarantee that none of the site managemnt is going to do it....It would have to be a community effort...as it SHOULD be.

Since I'm not volnteering, I'm satisfied to live with it as it is.

I have a diverse stable of bikes and ADV is the only forum I can stand to spend time at. When I was in the market for a Harley to meet my specific needs, the information here was better than any received elsewhere.

Back to DR's, I almost never go to TT, this site has a better perspective and better cast of characters................just sayin'

Definitely have to be a team effort. Just need 32 people to review 1000 posts each. Piece of cake, right?
Krusty ... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #22
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ...
Definitely have to be a team effort. Just need 32 people to review 1000 posts each. Piece of cake, right?
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic
Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
tommybelvedere
Adv alacarte'

Oddometer: 411
Dr 650 info index

I think its is a great idea considering the size of the DR650 thread and how hard it is to find stuff most of the time.
Thanks Tom
tommybelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #24
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 626
^bump^
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #25
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Well, 63 'yes' votes and 6 'no' so far, and 2 'bumps' just to keep it going.

Seems to me that the large majority who care are all for doing something... but then interest falls off quickly and everything goes back to the same ol' same ol'.

This is also what's happening at The DR650 Forum, when this was being discussed we had a large influx of new memberships, post count went up a lot, and now is slacking off.

The general consensus on the new forum is that "yeah it's a great idea and I hope it takes off, but there's not enough info there yet".... then instead of contributing their latest mod or rebuild to actually help expand the info there, they just go right back to the big pile 'o stuff in the DR650 Thread and post there.... where it gets buried and the same ol' questions get asked over and over again.

Most of us are all for the idea of indexing/cataloging all the DR650 wisdom, either here or over there, but few actually want to make the change or put forth the effort.

I post my stuff in both the big thread and on the DR650 Forum... I figure it'll help some folks here and 'give back' for the help I've received, and it also gets cataloged over on the forum for future reference. Much easier to search and next time someone asks I can just link them there.

If more folks would do the same then we'd eventually have it all indexed. But whaddya gonna do except provide a place to make it happen and let everyone know about it?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #26
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

I don't see any benefit to routing information to that other forum.

There doesn't need to be any Mod involvement. Volunteers would need to create a a separate index thread independent to of the Super thread. Gadget Boy will then add a link to that index thread to his sticky in Thumpers

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366046

If people are really interested in doing it, they should just start the process. Maybe split the thread into hunks of 1000 posts for volunteers to cull relevant subjects and create h index. Not hard...but a lot of work.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #27
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill
I don't see any benefit to routing information to that other forum.
The benefits are obvious. Easily accessible indexing. Anybody who wants to know how to do something could simply go to the appropriate section and click on the relevant thread. No need to do a search at all.

Simple, really.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #28
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,247
Maybe a simpler answer would be a better search engine ?
D. Irwin...
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #29
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Seida
Maybe a simpler answer would be a better search engine ?
That would be a great help. But do we have a better search engine? No.

Do we have a place to index info? Yes.

Just sayin.

Look, I hesitate to get into this too much, because I don't want to come off like I'm trying to push the new forum down anyone's throats, that would just turn people off anyway.

The truth is, I love the DR650. I'd love to see us have a place like The V-Strom folks have. Whether it's here or the new forum, I'm all for it.

But nothing seems to be happening here, and the mods show no inclination to make any changes.

The new forum already exists, it's there for the making.

So yes, I advocate for it because all it takes is a little effort from us DR650 people ourselves... no need to wait for the admin or mods here to maybe do something someday.

The DR650 Forum is not my baby, I'm just a mod there (DustDevil)... therefore I'm willing and able to put into effect any suggestions that would make it the best source possible for all, providing it's ok with the lead mod, Ryde4ever. It's pretty much up to all of us.

So with that said, I'm gonna stop for now. I appreciate your patience.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #30
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 716
bump

for a good idea...of course I'm a DR650 noob...
eldomike is offline   Reply With Quote