User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Akari.Blue OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
TW200, or something else?

So my primary bike, a small standard with touring-friendly mods to it, has seen more dirt roads than is sane and rational and I'm scaring my riding friends. I need a dualsport!

Complications: must be short and lightweight. I'm 5'2" and have short legs, plus a mangled right leg from one offroad adventure a few years ago.

My dream dualsport has always been the KLR250, but unless I get super-moto tires on it, I'm uncomfortable riding it. I know this bike can be lowered, the seat cushion can be shaved down, etc... I don't think it would be enough.

I finally convinced a friend to go riding my doing the MSF course with him, where they had a TW200. Now I want one! It's got a seat plenty low enough to be comfortable, and it's light enough that it's an absolute blast to ride.

Here's the riding I plan on doing:
Commuting in winter, my house is on a dirt (not gravel) road and the street bikes hate it.
Trail riding, nothing fancy or terribly over-exciting, mostly looking at the big open dirt roads around western Washington
Touring backroads & unpaved places like Baja Mexico or Alaska or those neat roads I've seen in the Mojave desert - I'd trailer the bike to the locations.
Motorcycle camping!

What's making me drool over the TW besides seat height and weight, is it's fuel-injected. All of my bikes have carbs, which is a pain here in Washington, it's cold and takes serious work to get the bikes started.

But, the TW200 doesn't go fast enough for freeways, I've been told. I'm a bit torn about that, hence trying to find other alternatives to consider. Going "to town" requires getting on a road with a 50 mph speed limit, and going to anywhere else requires freeway with a 60mph speed limit. Not heavily-used roads, but I'd not want to be stuck going much under the speed limits.

I don't have a price range, I'm more interested in getting a bike that'll work for what I want to do and worrying about cost and how I'll afford it after the bike is picked. That's how all my bikes have been bought. Somehow, I always find the money for them!

Any suggestions, comments, 2x4s to my head for some essential things I'm overlooking, would be much appreciated!

Kari
Akari.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
The TW200 should do just fine.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akari.Blue
What's making me drool over the TW besides seat height and weight, is it's fuel-injected. All of my bikes have carbs, which is a pain here in Washington, it's cold and takes serious work to get the bikes started.
Kari
I'm not entirely sure that its fuel-injected. From Yamaha's website it shows it has a Mikuni 28mm on it. Thats still carburetored or am I wrong?

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Merle O'Broham
too beaucoup

Oddometer: 1,625
first bike

For what you describe, the TW is a fantastic choice. They are not fuel injected (yet). Other bikes you might want to compare it to are Yam's own XT250- higher top speed, Honda's CRF230L- has a 6 speed box, Kawasaki Super Sherpa- also a 6 spd, and a Suzuki DR200. Relatively similar bikes, those. The TW has been around a LONG time with the only change being to the front brake (I don't remember the year). I would definitely look at a lightly used bike.

Welcome and good luck!
Merle O'Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Akari.Blue OP
n00b

Hm, that's interesting. Maybe the one I was riding was modified, because it definitely was fuel-injected. Ah well...

Kari
Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Akari.Blue OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merle O'Broham
For what you describe, the TW is a fantastic choice. They are not fuel injected (yet). Other bikes you might want to compare it to are Yam's own XT250- higher top speed, Honda's CRF230L- has a 6 speed box, Kawasaki Super Sherpa- also a 6 spd, and a Suzuki DR200. Relatively similar bikes, those. The TW has been around a LONG time with the only change being to the front brake (I don't remember the year). I would definitely look at a lightly used bike.

Welcome and good luck!
Thank you so much! I'll take a look at those other bikes. :)

Kari
Old 02-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
The CRFL is only slightly taller than the TW, and the XT is only slightly taller than the CRFL.

Riding a motorcycle is fun. Riding a supermoto is inexplicable.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Can't go wrong with the TW, best bang for the buck out there!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Todd

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,385
180 rear tire! Come on.

For your needs a TW is perfect. I like the Sherpa as well but......... the TW is our 4th bike and the one I ride the most out of all of em. I ride to work 95% but never take it to the pub hehe. Its so easy to just throw my backpack on the rack and go. Not much has changed. They did go away with the kick start as well as a little different spedo (add a trip meter). No EFI. Any gearing you want, 65 tops but 55 easy for this 1998 street only commuter rig.

You can trick it out how ever you want.

Colemanfu screwed with this post 02-10-2010 at 04:45 PM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akari.Blue
So my primary bike, a small standard with touring-friendly mods to it, has seen more dirt roads than is sane and rational and I'm scaring my riding friends. I need a dualsport!

Complications: must be short and lightweight. I'm 5'2" and have short legs, plus a mangled right leg from one offroad adventure a few years ago.

Here's the riding I plan on doing:
Commuting in winter, my house is on a dirt (not gravel) road and the street bikes hate it.
Trail riding, nothing fancy or terribly over-exciting, mostly looking at the big open dirt roads around western Washington
Touring backroads & unpaved places like Baja Mexico or Alaska or those neat roads I've seen in the Mojave desert - I'd trailer the bike to the locations.
Motorcycle camping!

But, the TW200 doesn't go fast enough for freeways, I've been told. I'm a bit torn about that, hence trying to find other alternatives to consider. Going "to town" requires getting on a road with a 50 mph speed limit, and going to anywhere else requires freeway with a 60mph speed limit. Not heavily-used roads, but I'd not want to be stuck going much under the speed limits.

Kari
TW200 would be OK for your wants. The wide tires would be nice for sandy roads in Mexico. You can gear it up a little for lower hwy revs with a larger front sprocket, but a 200cc isn't going to be a slab rocket.

Other decent choices could be the XT225, CRF230L, KL250 Super Sherpa...all 6spds. The XT250 is a wide-ratio 5spd.

None of these bikes is EFI. For better cold starting though, adjust the carbing. Most bikes are adjusted quite lean from the factory, which makes them cold-blooded. Running synthetic oil after a few thousand miles of wear-in can make cold-starting easier too.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Maybe a WR250R in Supermoto trim or a lowered R. Fuel injected, not overly expensive, and more than likely better on both the road and the dirt.

T Dubs are fun bikes though, just light in gearing and HP.
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,421
The Sherpa will do 70 on the hiway all day with me on it (230lbs). Happy Trails makes lowering links... lowered one for my wife,,, she's 5"2". It's a great bike... only thing the TW would be better at is deep sand with that fat tire.... otherwise the Sherpa wins in every category.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR_520
Maybe a WR250R in Supermoto trim or a lowered R. Fuel injected, not overly expensive, and more than likely better on both the road and the dirt.

T Dubs are fun bikes though, just light in gearing and HP.
At 5'2" with short legs, Kari is gonna have a hard time lowering the WRR or WRX enough to be comfy. Great bike, but also pretty tall.

Riding a motorcycle is fun. Riding a supermoto is inexplicable.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Nothing wrong with any of these, but my vote goes to the DR200. It is cheap, simple, regular sized tires, big gas tank, and mine would haul my 225 lbs. at a tick over 70 mph (after a while to get there). 55-60 no problem. 85 mpg regularly. The only one of the others that I think I would consider now would be a Super Sherpa. Its main drawback is the smallish tank.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
I'd really like to get a smaller dual sport some day. You know, for the wife .

The TW looks like a lot of fun, but part of me really wants an xt225. Could be because I read Lois on the Loose.

Both bikes look like a lot of fun.

(Note, I haven't ridden either.)

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote