ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (<1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #46
Pitster
miniac

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play
I'm on the list for March 8th too
So your the one that may make me miss my riding trip!! Mine is going in right after you it sounds like!

Hope I get it back in time cant wait.

www.nomadrider.com Adventure luggage and gear
Pitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #47
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,416
I sent my extra seat to him in Sept. in hopes I'd get moved up the cancellation list
Old 02-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #48
firebolter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
I got mine back 2 weeks ago, ready for Spring! I love it. My Husky SM610 seat is still great after 2 years and now my 950 is ready!

2006 Husky SM610+71 BSA 250 Trials
2011 Beta 300 2T Lim Ed+ 74 RL250 Suzi
firebolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #49
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 207
My Renazco seat is no better than OK

I had hoped that my Renazco seat for my 2008 KTM 990 Adventure would be awesome. Yes I can manage a 200-400 mile day but my butt is pretty sore by mile 200 for sure. For a bike that can go off road and is comfy to stand up on (as the Renazco certainly is), there is only so wide that the seat can really be. For what it is the Renazco is ok and does allow the 990 Adventure to sport tour. I'll ride mine from upstate NY to Tail of the Dragon in the Spring but I will not be comfy.

In comparison the Renzaco, in my first hand experience, is about equal to a DL650 with gel seat or a 6th gen VFR with Sargent seat. However, that really isn't saying much as neither of those seats are fantastic for touring. Better than stock and better than sport bikes ... of course. Is it on par with FJR or Concours levels of distance comfort? Not even close. Not a chance.

Partly, I wish I had gotten a bike with a Russell Day Long seat, Do not for a second ever think that a Renazco is in the same league as a Russell Day Long seat for comfort. Hey the 990 Adv is an ugly bike, and that's coming from a former V-Strom owner, so comments about the Day Long's looks will be taken with more than a grain of salt. I like my 990 Adv but it is no love affair and the Renazco has left me wishing for more from the bike and from the seat.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #50
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,603
Since I have a Renazco and and Bill Mayer and a Day long for my 990R I can say that for all day sitting comfort the Mayer cant be beat and for 2 up riding the the Mayer and the Day long make it very comfortable for rider and pillion. These seats are in the way for standing up while riding due to their width but the Renazco has about 90% of the comfort while sitting and allows for standing when required. If I were riding to Alaska or two up for the weekend the Mayer seat is my choice but for rides with a mix of highway, secondary, dirt roads, two track and off road with back to back days the Renazco is the better choice.
I have had several 600 mile days on the highway with the Mayer and felt ready for more but with the Renazco 400 miles of sitting and I'm ready to get of and have a beer or three. They are all great seats but each has it's own purpose, choose the one that fits your riding or have more than one. The custom fitting to your body size and riding style is the most important part, I have seen the seats with very different shapes and heights on various bikes. They aren't one size fits all. IMHO. YMMV.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #51
zen rider
veteran rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
Since I have a Renazco and and Bill Mayer and a Day long for my 990R I can say that for all day sitting comfort the Mayer cant be beat and for 2 up riding the the Mayer and the Day long make it very comfortable for rider and pillion. These seats are in the way for standing up while riding due to their width but the Renazco has about 90% of the comfort while sitting and allows for standing when required. If I were riding to Alaska or two up for the weekend the Mayer seat is my choice but for rides with a mix of highway, secondary, dirt roads, two track and off road with back to back days the Renazco is the better choice.
I have had several 600 mile days on the highway with the Mayer and felt ready for more but with the Renazco 400 miles of sitting and I'm ready to get of and have a beer or three. They are all great seats but each has it's own purpose, choose the one that fits your riding or have more than one. The custom fitting to your body size and riding style is the most important part, I have seen the seats with very different shapes and heights on various bikes. They aren't one size fits all. IMHO. YMMV.
Well 600 miles and ready to do more (Mayer) vs. 400 and NEED a big break sounds like a huge 33% difference. So saying the Renazco is 90% as comfy sounds a little optimistic.

But it's neat to hear your report.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #52
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,603
I should have used hours instead of miles since the miles vary so much with the type of riding. If I ride for three or four hours sitting the Renazco is 90% as comfortable as the Mayer but at the 10 to 14 hour range my 90% figure goes out the window.
I choose the Renazco for almost all my rides it's better overall for ADVenture type rides. While the others are more comfortable for long days on the pavement they don't work for dirt very well.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #53
zen rider
veteran rider

I agree its good for the 3-4 hour ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
I should have used hours instead of miles since the miles vary so much with the type of riding. If I ride for three or four hours sitting the Renazco is 90% as comfortable as the Mayer but at the 10 to 14 hour range my 90% figure goes out the window.
I choose the Renazco for almost all my rides it's better overall for ADVenture type rides. While the others are more comfortable for long days on the pavement they don't work for dirt very well.
That makes sense. Sure a 3-4 hour ride is not very long. And off road I stand most of the time. It is on the longer street rides (6+ hours) that I find the 990A Renazco seat lacking. I agree that for the primary intended purpose of this bike, the Renazco seat is ok or maybe good. My Enduro Engineering Tall Soft seat is good to excellent for my 300XC ($120) is very comfy for all day dirt rides.

My point is that the Renazco will probably not transform the bike into a great sport-touring machine, which for some of us is a secondary purpose of the bike. I have a pure dirt bike for the dirtiest rides and therefore I would have liked the 990 to cover longer rides.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #54
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,320
Thats odd to me. After a couple of years with mine I am still good for a 6-800 mile day in comfort. Rode two-up to Vegas on it with no issues as well.