I am satisfied with the OEM carb 9 14.52%
I would consider buying a new F.I. version of my current bike. 10 16.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Onederer OP
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 755
XR650L-DR650-KLR650 Fuel Injection Poll

First, I would like for this to not turn into a fuel injection VS carb thread. Good luck huh?

So, who would pay a $500 price increase to get OEM fuel injection on one of the mentioned bikes. Who would rather spend $500 on a better carb. Who is satisfied with the OEM carb. Who would consider selling/trading their XRL-DR-KLR to get a new model with OEM fuel injection.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,422
I would really need to ride both models and compare them. In the big picture of a bike $500 ain't much at all. Is the extra $500 worth the difference in feel / performance ??? I think on a Dual sport thumper its not really going to make much of a difference since the bike is already a compromise of sorts between on and off road....

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
zavid1
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I would really need to ride both models and compare them. In the big picture of a bike $500 ain't much at all. Is the extra $500 worth the difference in feel / performance ??? I think on a Dual sport thumper its not really going to make much of a difference since the bike is already a compromise of sorts between on and off road....

I disagree, The muted throttle response would be much improved. Id be willing to take on another job to buy a new xr650 or dr650 provided it had factory fuel injection. It takes the fuss out of the bike. Sick of messing with screws and jetting. Just put gas and go.
zavid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
Personally, for me anyway, the issue with FI is an increase in complexity and more importantly an increase in weight. These bikes are all over weight, with some being worse than others. Cough, cough, Kawasaki...........
Old 06-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I'd buy a KLR 650 tomorrow if they were FI, I didn't vote because it will do nothing to change the Japanese way of thinking. As much as I like all three of these bikes I have now switched to BMW 650's for this reason, about the only 650 FI out there except for the Husqvarna and it could be gone in the future with KTM owner at the throttle.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavid1 View Post
I disagree, The muted throttle response would be much improved. Id be willing to take on another job to buy a new xr650 or dr650 provided it had factory fuel injection. It takes the fuss out of the bike. Sick of messing with screws and jetting. Just put gas and go.
Ive never once touched a jet or screw on my DR carb in 28000 miles,runs fine from sea level to 10,000'.

I do know guys who have to take the injectors out to clean them weekly on FI race bikes. And then there's the hassle of defeating the EPA settings on the ignition box on FI to make the bike run well.
Its not as simple as it sounds on the surface to just put FI on a dirt going bike.

But all bikes will have it sooner or later.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
wjfawb0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
EFI was one of the main reasons I bought my WR250R over a DR and other bikes. I have experience with car EFI electronics and tuning strategies, so EFI doesn't scare me at all.
wjfawb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
The question has no value. FI will not be something you can select from the options list. It will be mandated by emission and noise laws. In Europe many bikes already have FI even if the same model is sold in the States with a carb. As soon as the price difference gets neglible for a manufacturer FI is the only option. It makes no sense to run two different engine developement programs. But I don't know if the limit is a $500. I doubt because some 50cc scooters are still offered with the choice. Bigger bikes are not.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan from Finland screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 01:27 AM
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Scottyridewhere?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Euro and FI

FI is being legislated in on ALL bikes, in Europe. Some of the manufacturers have been working hard to get their lineup set that way before the reg comes in (2015, iirc) North America is often WAY behind the rest of the world, often because of the attitudes of many (not all) of its citizens and lawmakers.

I considered putting a Megasquirt on my KLR a couple years ago, but then it went and horked its oil pump which destroyed the top end of the engine.. and too damn expensive for THIS cheap KLR owner to rebuild or replace.. so I am going to a donated XR250 as my daily rider.

cheers,
S.
Scottyridewhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
I prefer EFI close to civilization. I prefer the simple BST40 out in BFE.

Either one works fine for me in general riding conditions.

After just a jetting kit from Procycle, I'd put the rest of my $500 or so elsewhere. EFI isn't worth more to me, and can be a liability in some cases.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
The question has no value. FI will not be something you can select from the options list. It will be mandated by emission and noise laws. In Europe many bikes already have FI even if the same model is sold in the States with a carb. As soon as the price difference gets neglible for a manufacturer FI is the only option. It makes no sense to run two different engine developement programs. But I don't know if the limit is a $500. I doubt because some 50cc scooters are still offered with the choice. Bigger bikes are not.
In the US the EPA (gov. agency that controls emissions) allows mfg. to spread their emissions numbers across all the machines they make. The Japanese keep making the same carb dual-sport bikes because they are low selling models and this is balanced out with other higher selling FI and thus cleaner models. They are not required to meet certain emissions for every model, just a corporate average. Thus since DR650, KLR and such only sell so many (and these are not world-wide sales bikes like the new FI 250s are) they can just keep making them just like they are. Nothing will change as long as they sell enough to make a profit and not enough that it will drag down their corporate emissions average.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

There has been some traction with Ecotrons but not the ultimate finalized PnP kit that many had hoped for.
http://www.ecotrons.com/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725795
Butler Maps website:
Old 06-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
I'm ready for FI models in the dual sport range as well.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
I'm ready for FI models in the dual sport range as well.
In the 650 class, so are many of us. Still would not hold your breath however.
Pony up $ for a KTM or snag a Terra while you can.
And that's it.
Butler Maps website:
Old 06-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Nothing will change as long as they sell enough to make a profit
I agree. But my point was that when a FI cost gets closer to a carb cost there is no business case for another model. It is not profitable to create and certify a new carb model when you already have the FI for one market. It has noting to do with the EPA and a corporate average. It's about a profit. As always.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote