Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
I just loaned my bike to Scotts for two weeks. I'm semi-close to IMS.
I may give them a call and see what they have in mind.

My bike is slowly becoming a whore.
At least it is a whore with "low" miles

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
A thirsty whore. Since the change to the 15T counter sprocket mileage is down to around 40.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #18
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
I'd actually be happier with an XChallenge-type auxilliary tank that is mounted where you suggest, but isn't actually plumbed into the main one. That's where all the complexity is. Just fit it with a transfer pipe with a simple tap and gravity feed, I'll transfer the contents manually. It works for my Cessna.
+1, and it doesn't even need to be gravity feed if the main tank isn't vented. Turn the vent hose from the main tank into the pickup from the [vented] aux tank and let the pressure differential do the rest. Physics works. No electrics, less cost, probably more units sold.

I'm interested if it doesn't look like the XC Aqualine (TT) monstrosity and the color matching is close. 15L +/- is a good size.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #19
chadams OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
+1, and it doesn't even need to be gravity feed if the main tank isn't vented. Turn the vent hose from the main tank into the pickup from the [vented] aux tank and let the pressure differential do the rest. Physics works. No electrics, less cost, probably more units sold.

I'm interested if it doesn't look like the XC Aqualine (TT) monstrosity and the color matching is close. 15L +/- is a good size.
Hi the objective here is to get 11 people who are willing to pay 50% up front for a quality built front tank from IMS, there has been a lot of discussion about rear tanks, peg packers, bum tanks, roto packs, jerry cans..... etc... This thread is for f8gs & f650gs owners who want a large front tank with out the price tag of the touratech, the 50 million parts and the butchery of the stock tank.
chadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany
I take it the tank design is going to completely cover the airbox/battery compartment? This is one big disadvantage of the touratech tank as well if you plan on riding in the desert and dust (which is probably where you want the fuel range in the first place!). Perhaps some sort of quick release on the hoses to make removal easier if you are going down this route? Ideally it would be nice to retain the centre panel and have two side tanks bolt on. There could be complications with crash bars though you could argue you wouldnt need them if the new tank protects the radiator.

Is it possible to have a replacement tank for the current underseat tank designed? There has to be capacity there to make a bigger one. For starters ditch the plastics on the top and use that space, then extend it out the bottom and rear towards the tail light a bit more square (a little like how the front of the safari tank for the Super Enduro is). Only complications would be how any pannier racks would fit with this design. Something like the Holans and touratechs should work, Jesses wouldnt and anything that attaches via a bar to the holes underneath the subframe wouldnt (metal mule, BMW vario, happy trails) unless there was a gap left in the middle to allow the bars to pass under. Heres a crude pic of what I mean:

Personally I would rather go this way, with the option to retaining the oem filler cap transferring it to the new tank. A rear tank will help keep the weight down low rather than up high near the battery box. It would also eliminate any F650GS vs F800GS issues that may arise from adding a tank to the front. Food for thought?
Actually I don't think it's such a problem up front. If you're expecting to do such travel you most likely will have gear with you that is loaded to the rear of the bike and as such providing a counter balance in case the tank is full.

The problem I see with the design on the back is that it will limit you quickly with side cases, etc. Unless you want to make the rear of the bike stick out a lot (which I would hate in case you travel in CA cities).

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #21
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
You may not be able to use the same tank for the 650 and 800 as the width across the radiators is not the same, correct?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #22
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
You may not be able to use the same tank for the 650 and 800 as the width across the radiators is not the same, correct?

I think you're right cuz the Touratech tank has separate part numbers for the 650 and 800 tank.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #23
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,291
Any new news with this tank? I went to order the TT tank the other day but there's no stock in Canada or Germany (I have a hard time believing that).

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #24
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:

At least she's a whore who provides and gets things done. Thanks for your contribution with the Scott's.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #25
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Re the IMS tank...

I have never been a fan of the TT tank. Can't run crash guards. There's cutting involved (right?). I would prefer something like in the animated picture in a previous post that replaces the under-the-seat tank with something bigger. I also like the idea of not covering up the battery and air filter access. It's crucial to have quick access to those items.

It'll be interesting to see IMS's solution.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #26
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I saw the TT tank at the Redmond rally... the TT guys said that they crashed the bike quite a bit and that the tank was made out of extra thick plastic that they use for car bumpers...

On closer inspection the front rim was not even close to straight and the sides of the bike including the tank on the right side were pretty beat up. Perhaps they really have tested it....

I was not convinced enough to layout for it though with my rotopax/jesse bag setup being enough for my needs given the price.
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #27
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:

I know the feeling after my sweetheart had a summer vacation with the crew at RaceTech.

A little more capacity on the cheap sounds good to me!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:43 AM   #28
DasMatti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
something new??
DasMatti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #29
yellow zebra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
+1, keen to hear what progress...

+1, keen to hear what progress...
Old 11-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #30
Baillsy
Lets ride

Oddometer: 411
Likewise, am keen to hear if there has been any progress on this as i would like more fuel range without the TT price tag
Baillsy is offline   Reply With Quote