Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #16
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
I've owned a few sportbikes and all my buds got RC51's and we traded back and forth. On paper, they seemed like a great bike, but I never gelled with it - heavy, odd ergos, abrupt throttle response, stiff suspension, odd styling, and I never learned to trust the front end. Gixxers and R1s just seemed a lot more supple and forgiving. Tough ergos for anything other than the track. And the gas mileage was atrocious, especially on the bikes with PC's - I pushed my buddy's bike with mine to gas more than once. The engine was strong and bellowed quite nicely though.

About the only sportbike I actively disliked. But some folks love them. YMMV.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #17
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,233
Had one of the first RC51's in San Diego back in April of 2000. Had to have it for it had the coveted "HRC" emblem on the side cases. Plus the fact that Joey Dunlop rode one in the 2000 Isle of Man TT (and won!). I knew it was the bike for me. Unfortunately, I was very wrong and we just never hit it off together. In August of that year I crashed her hard on Mt Palomar trying to pretend I was "Yer Maun" myself. Poor bike was totaled (along with my left leg) and really deserved better.

Now, I'm older, wiser, my leg has healed (although an inch shorter) and a hard lesson has been learned. Just like Dirty Harry used to say "A man's got to know his limitations".
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #18
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
i thought about setting one up for touring and road trips, but remember reading something about them getting HORRIFIC mileage. like in the 20's
I never got below 40 mpg. I generally rode it sensibly, without too many high-speed antics. Great engine, great all-around bike. Most miles I put on it in a day was 550. My wrists hurt after that (I have since changed over to wider, slightly higher Cycle Cat bars), but I was otherwise comfortable.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
Death Dealer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51LV
I PICKED ONE UP IN NOV 2006 AND ITS BEEN A GREAT BIKE , IT HAD 11.000 MILES ON IT AND NOW HAS 35.000 AND STILL GOING REAL STRONG... THE MILEAGE I GET IS 45 MPG AND A GREAT EXHAUST SOUND
Care to elaborate on your experience some more? What have you had to do in terms of parts or service? What do you like? What do you dislike about the RC51? What's your longest day on it? How many miles to a tank?
1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Death Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,925
RC's aren't on the top of the sporting list's anymore as the last one to roll of the line was like in 2006.

On top of that american's never really bought into the whole V-twin sporting thing unless the bike was from Italy.

New they were heavy for their horsepower. (since they were set up for factory kits to make them WSB racebikes)

These bikes are fun to ride, however as some have said, they aren't really great for slow speed work, the bike's are geared high, and the seating postion is a little agressive.

These won't be nearly the special or collector items that RC30 and RC45 have become.

But they are a damned good bike.

If I was in the market for a sportbike, this is one I'd look at.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #21
karlb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,073
I owned a 2002 for a couple years and found the bike to be great fun both on the street and on the track, swapped out to a sargent seat and dropped 1 tooth on the C.S., she was good for up to 400 mile days. with a PC and a set of slip ons she made good power also. 2 of my buds and I rode around together . I had the RC, 1 had an 01 996 and the other had an 0.5 mille so other than the TLR I spent quite a bit of time on all the the vtwin class. of the three ther RC51 was strongest (other 2 were stock) and the 996 handled the best, I later owned the 996 and currently own an RSVR Factory. when I bought the factory I was toying with the idea of getting another RC and modding it out to the 9s but decided to get the RSVR as it is a bike I had lusted over for a long time.
another site to check out would be ROGUE (if it is still around)
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #22
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
I never managed to buy one myself (they were too expensive at that time for my pocket) but always tried to get even if short a ride on RC51 - sometimes from dealer, sometimes from private owner who wanted to sell.
And I had friend who had one. He bought it stock and immediately bought HRC kit for it which was available from Honda HRC obviously.
Result was astonishing. His RC51 was head and shoulders above every other RC51 I ever tried and actually was quite scary - very direct response, very focused. This bike made him start racing in amateur events actually. I can't forget sound it was making and feeling of engine response.

I tried stock SP2 after that and was not that impressed by far.
Anyway they felt notoriously race ergos to me. What I think is that it probably is a great bike but not "unleashed" stock.
Kinda same as RC45 I think. May be I am wrong here, but I think Honda left it "understressed" stock because they just wanted homologated version for SB.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #23
dogfm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I nearly bought one ...

04 I bought a new Blackbird, whenever I got it serviced the shop used to let me borrow something so I used to grab the SP2 / RC51. I really wanted one and found it great for the couple of hours at a time I rode it however ...

I got caught speeding on the Blackbird and received a short ban, I realised that the SP2 would not help me keep my speed under restraint so reluctantly binned the idea.

In the UK we got a Stars & Stripes "Laguna Seca" version to celebrate Colin Edwards 2002 WSB championship - great looking
dogfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #24
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfm

In the UK we got a Stars & Stripes "Laguna Seca" version to celebrate Colin Edwards 2002 WSB championship - great looking
WTF?!
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #25
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,807
I want a RC-51 they sound so horn , and a mid-90's Ducati 900SS, maybe one of the rare superlights, and a new Hayabusa, and....

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #26
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfm

WTF??? x2...so Honda had lost the plot from back then, huh?

http://3dtrials.org/
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #27
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979

I have a friend that had one. He use to drive it from victorville to huntington beach 5 time week. I thinks around 200 round trip. He had about 215,000 miles on it. he use to do track days on it too. Well a old lady pulled into his lane and took him out. The bike was totaled. He replaced it a 1000rr. But I know if he found a nice one he would buy it. Those were really nice bikes. They are getting really rare around the LA bike scene. KEEP IT. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #28
theblk1
Dirt, pavement, whatever.

Oddometer: 52
If I found a clean SP-2, and had the cash I'd buy one in a HEARTBEAT!
theblk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #29
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 879
The Harley of track bikes?!?

Ouch!!!!!!

That's harsh. I know she's a little heavy, but she's no boat anchor. Will the latest liter bike smoke one....absolutely. But calling it Harley-like, well..................da-amn.

I just bought an '04 RC51. Haven't taken delivery yet. I sure thought I would never own a Harley-like bike. The horror.

Cheers.
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #30
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Randy
I had one for about half a track season. Do you guys realize they're about 490lbs full of gas? It's a freaking huge fat pig of a bike for track work. It was a great bike for its time, but that time was over 5 years ago. It's the harley of track bikes now, really. So many better options out there now....
In the 28 previous posts before yours only one person used the bike on the track.Don't have a 51 but do have a twin and most of us ride the street daily.Our HP and torque can actually be used without going to a track.