Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 04:42 AM   #31
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,483
I wonder what makes them so heavy. From what I had read the AMA Factory bikes were so light they kept the starter.
2000 SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #32
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Randy
I'm a huge advocate for twin power on the street but the RC51 is very, VERY heavy. Street speeds make it even heavier to ride. Not only that but they run really hot for the street as well, about 235 degrees on average. The two side mounted radiators simply do not do a good job of cooling that motor. And the riding position is just about as aggressive as you can get. Your wrists (and ass) will be begging for mercy if you ever have to slab it or get caught in traffic. And once you get through that traffic you'll have to wrestle that pig through the twisties. I'd argue that there are certainly far better choices on the market if you want a twin powered street bike. SV1000, Tuono or Falco, Monsters, Superdukes etc would imo be a better choice.
i was the first on eastern long island to buy a 800 monster and sold it about three years later, i still regret doing that but i wasn't riding it.i loved that motor and i loved modifying the bike, it was more fun to do that than ride it and this is the first time I've heard the sv1000 compared favorably to the rc51.the sv is a better fit for me but i miss the engine brakeing exhaust noise that i got from the monster with leo vince slip on's.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #33
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,024
I could go faster on my 600 at the track but the rc51 was my favorite day tripper streetbike, by far, and I've had a few. The ergo's are committed, but it truly felt like you were riding a flat out race bike on the street. Corners on rails and doesn't get upset by road imperfections in the twisties. Bike has soul.

IMO, the 'weight' is not a negative issue on the street at all, unless maybe you're a little guy. Stone cold reliable. Does get warm if you piddle around in stop and go in the heat, but that's not what the bike is good at. My commute was 30 miles of mainly backroad twisties and 10 miles of 6 lane highway. So much fun. As I say, felt like I was on a race bike instead of a commuter. Loved it.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #34
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,460
I always liked the RC51 but can't live with full on race ergos on the street anymore. I thought that engine might have had a future in a sport standard/streetfighter setup, and even remember seeing a few "artist conceptions" that never materialized.
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #35
BimotaBoy
Scooter Trash!

Oddometer: 293
I liked mine, but boy are they uncomfortable to ride! They were a superbike for the street!

Ducati HYM 796
Yamaha YSR (KX) 65
BimotaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #36
Dirt Hooker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
what some people here are forgetting is that a bike does not have to be the most practical or the top of it's class to be desirable. look at all the folks who buy and love Ducatis/Bimotas/MV's etc... there are endless amounts of bikes that are cheaper, better commuters, with better reliability/maintenance.

the RC51 has loads of character and soul- listen to that wicked engine driven by gear driven cams and tell me it's not addictive. add Honda quality/reliability/durability, and easily sourced parts and dealers everywhere- it's a great bike to own if you want a unique race bike that will not be a headache to own in years to come

the RC is not for everybody and that's is a good thing
Dirt Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #37
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Randy
I'm a huge advocate for twin power on the street but the RC51 is very, VERY heavy. Street speeds make it even heavier to ride. Not only that but they run really hot for the street as well, about 235 degrees on average. The two side mounted radiators simply do not do a good job of cooling that motor. And the riding position is just about as aggressive as you can get. Your wrists (and ass) will be begging for mercy if you ever have to slab it or get caught in traffic. And once you get through that traffic you'll have to wrestle that pig through the twisties. I'd argue that there are certainly far better choices on the market if you want a twin powered street bike. SV1000, Tuono or Falco, Monsters, Superdukes etc would imo be a better choice.
Most of the above reasons are why I bought the Falco.I still have the ST1300 for pig wrestling in the traffic.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #38
ekms377
The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer: 497
Only one I rode was a track bike. I loved it, however, it was a bit taxing on the track. Meaning it was a handful. A bit heavy.......in weight and in steering but a bunch of fun. I loved it. I almost bought one a few months back but was out of town and lost the sale. Found another but a bit pricey. I still want to own one for the street but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I just got a ZRX....a bit more practical for me right now plus I like the naked look.
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #39
Dirt Hooker
Gnarly Adventurer

lots of people complain that the RC is a heavy bike, which it is by today's standards. back in the early 2000's it was comparable with the Ape's and Duck's. what you need to remember is that heft also gives the 51 freight train stability- in a fast bumpy sweeper on the street or track, the RC will hold it's line no problem, where a flyweight could get out of shape. of course technology moves on, and manufacturers are getting very good at combining lightweight with stability. still for a novice/intermediate rider looking for a fun track/street V-twin Superbike, the RC is still very capable
Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #40
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,063
Two quick ways to lose weight are changing out the exhaust (slip-ons from Sato, Arata, or Akrapovic), which will easily save you nearly twenty five pounds, and changing out the wheels. Both will affect the handling, as the exhaust silencers are high and to the rear of the bike (one of the worst possible places for that much weight), and the wheels are rotating unsprung weight.

The bikes really do rock. They are great road bikes - tractable motors, smooth-shifting trannies, and Honda reliable without being Honda boring. Suspension changes make a difference on these bikes.

The guys who own them love them. The guys who don't just don't know what they're missing.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #41
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,093
This thread needs pics..

Fuck I miss that bike...

Thank God for this...

benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #42
jamesgs4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
I heard they can get up to 205 mph
jamesgs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #43
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
I want one of these bikes so much.

I've always thought of them as a bike everyone who wants an 848 but isn't actually already a world class racer who would be able to really use the 848.

I'm addicted to twins. I've had 8 bikes in 3 years...one 600, one thumper, and 6 twins.

I probably will pick up on SP2 one of these days...unless I get a lot of money, in which case I'd probably rather get the SB8R.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #44
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgs4
I heard they can get up to 205 mph
Don't know if you ever followed the update on that, but the kid finally was able to do a true WOT top speed run on his bike to prove its max speed. 161mph, IIRC.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #45
Dirt Hooker
Gnarly Adventurer

you make several valid points Randy, but people who own and enjoy the '51 do not own them them because they believe they are the lightest/fastest/latest/greatest bike out there. they like them because they are unique, HRC prestige, extremely high quality, capable (my opinion), reliable, affordable and most of all fun. YMMV

if we all bought bikes based on performance only, then nobody would own any sportbike older than 3 years old, because they're always better bikes coming out. let's face it, for the majority of riders, sportbikes from the mid 90's are WAY above their skill level.

variety is the spice.....