User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Effisland OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
F800GS deceleration backfire/rumble?

Hey guys, I've had my bike for about a week now, and I've been hearing this backfire sound or a rumble sound coming out the back of my tailpipe. Sounds like my old CX650 when I adjusted the carbs too lean - no big bangs though.

Anyone else get this? My dealer says all the F800s do this. Could this be a problem? I thought it was bad for an engine to do this. But it does sound mean and nasty. Besides that, this engine rocks!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
klarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effisland
Hey guys, I've had my bike for about a week now, and I've been hearing this backfire sound or a rumble sound coming out the back of my tailpipe. Sounds like my old CX650 when I adjusted the carbs too lean - no big bangs though.

Anyone else get this? My dealer says all the F800s do this. Could this be a problem? I thought it was bad for an engine to do this. But it does sound mean and nasty. Besides that, this engine rocks!
errrr... my 2009 doesn't do that (with an Akro exhaust).
Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
I don't know what you mean by 'rumble' but mine pops every once in a while upon heavy deceleration/engine braking. It's normal for a pop here and there. These bikes have very lean fuel mapping in order to keep the fuel mileage up and emissions down.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Mine does it (Akro pipe, with or without the baffle). So did the demonstrator I rode. It's normal for the ultra-lean mixtures they run these days to pass emissions regulations. Factory pipes usually have enough baffling in them to mask the noise (but not always - my dad has a new Bonneville and it does it too, with stock pipes).

If you're getting a loud and distinct backfire, like a gunshot, that's bad. If it does it under steady throttle, or acceleration, that's bad. But on downshifts, it's normal for a crackling/popping noise to be present.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
YeeHaa
Fang it!!!!

Oddometer: 461
Yeah mine does it too, so did my ex F650GS for that matter...

...it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
YeeHaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #6
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,575
I get this every time I slow down and change down through the gears. After market pipe though. I actually quite like the pops as I slow down it sounds a bit meaner. Didn't notice it so much with the stock pipe.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
Sydney Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
I get it all the time.... and personally I really like the sound (and if you practice you can make it happen on demand).

Funny enough when people, but generally not other riders, talk to me about the F800GS they comment on the burble/rumble saying that they think its cool.

Tony
Sydney Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
capt_enduro
tool whore

Oddometer: 191
Somewhat of a 205, as this has been covered before. General consensus is that just about all the F8's do this and most folks like it (the pop-pop-pop on deceleration).

Mine does it quite a bit sometimes and not others, and not exactly sure why. I'm working with a theory that it has something to do with the amount of ethanol in the fuel at any given time - not tested it though.

'09 BMW F800GS
'09 Kawasaki KLX250S
'05 Yamaha TTR230
capt_enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Yes they all do that, though I am not sure about the rumble part. If it was me I would contact the dealer to make sure the latest "map" was installed. A week ago my broken speedo and fuel related gauges were fixed with an updated map and a side benefit was the lessening of the BMW backfire noise, along with what seems like better off idle throttle response. I wish I could tell you what the mapware fixed but it must be a trade secret or at least my dealer did not know. As to the rumble noise, unless you are sure it is exhaust noise, I would pull the rear wheel and make sure the bearings are ok.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I have an aftermarket exhaust also. Regardless, I have found that if you give it very slight throttle while decelerating, rather than fully closing the throttle, the popping is produced every time. Sometimes it's fun, and at least I know how to avoid it if I'm riding where it's not appropriate.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
rdasilva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I've got a Leo Vince exhaust pipe and it backfires on deceleration. It happens mostly in second gear. It popped a lot more when I first got it and now seems to have mellowed out a bit. Either that or I've gotten more used to it. I'll have to try the slight throttle versus full off on deceleration and see what happens. It would be nice to have it pop or not on demand.
rdasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
I've noticed mine does it reliably any time the engine is cold and only sometimes when it is hot. Definitely not a bad thing!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
klarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
I don't know what you mean by 'rumble' but mine pops every once in a while upon heavy deceleration/engine braking. It's normal for a pop here and there. These bikes have very lean fuel mapping in order to keep the fuel mileage up and emissions down.
Well... yeah, I guess mine DOES pop every now and then in contrast to my previous report.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,206
Is there no aftermarket remapping ?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
mountain36
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
If you're getting a loud and distinct backfire, like a gunshot, that's bad..
Mine did that today, twice. The sound was so loud, really like a gunshot. It what this is suppose to be bad?
mountain36 is offline   Reply With Quote