ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
Research Rat OP
thrasher

Oddometer: 798
Looking to join an ECEA Club? MCI Open Enrollment for 2015 has Begun..

Motorcycle Competition Inc (MCI) is now accepting prospect membership for the 2015 season.

The benefits:

1. Eligibility for year end points in the Enduro series. To be eligible for year end points in the enduro series, the ECEA requires riders to be a member of an ECEA club (for B class and up.)

2. Access to a support team for both the Enduro and Hare Scramble Series.

3. Access to a network of fellow racing enthusiasts.

4. Member discounts on racing consumables and hard parts.

Check us out at www.ride-mci.com

Want more info or have questions? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks and see you at the 2015 enduros!
-Scott
Research Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,827
more info or questions? a couple and some suggestions though. so MCI is in New Jersey and your posting in the NYC thread. Wonderful club actively involved in the sport and keeping it alive and trying to maintain if not grow the places to ride. i know you and some other locals have been making a go of this for a couple years now and making it work. To help encourage enrollment how about talking about how you guys are doing it. How long does it take to get to the meetings? Carpooling? Is there room? Are their considerations the club has made for attendance for regular meetings? Has the mention of the meetings being webcast to somewhere closer here especially in the winter months? We live in NYC. We can't afford to store and trailer a dirt only bike. Not all of us are rich like you. Can arrangements be made to house bikes close to the club. Barn, mini storage. Perhaps some local club members could look into some options that might encourage new membership from this area. What does ECEA stand for? What does MCI stand for? You got some new blood in the area that are discovering camping and the pines and their bikes both new and old. We know that the dual sport crowd feeds into the enduro crowd whether they like it or not. Look at you, Rich, Steve and i am old and forget the names of the other guys that are from here. How many members are currently from NYC area? The meetings do they align with days (weekends) that some of these potential members could come down for a meeting on say Friday night, camp and then ride saturday before heading home or stay another night at local campsites. Unfortunately i lost interest when the DRZ got stolen. We are all getting old, did not say we were all growing up. There are some of us that have young ones that we want to introduce or have introduced to the sport. Yet there is no place to ride here. I believe even with the new mayor that central park is still off limits for 2015. I know the clubs events include the youngins. Does the club have a way to offer some space for them to blast a 1/2 acre of land to work on the basics on a weekend/weekday. Does the club offer space for the adults to blast around on?

hmmm got to be the longest post i have ever made. one last question. is enduro a legitimate word? my spell check does not recognize it. perhaps this is the equivalent of a nigerian email scam and all of you should keep your money in your wallets!

one other thing i want to point out to the dual sporters is that joining a club such as MCI you get a chance to ride some areas that would typically be off limits down in the pines. which is an awesome place to ride. they have a great front/back yard. correct me if i am wrong there will be opportunities to ride during say an enduro to get yourself to a check point that you would man/woman for an event, there are pre rides for events and rides as sweepers which you can do on your dual sport. rides to maintain trails. scott, get off your lazy ass and talk this up a bit more if you want some of these people. sigh. wish i had a bike. and money. and time.

anyways, good luck to MCI and all of their competitors in 2015
Old 01-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,469
Isn't this posted in the "Northeast" forum?

Seems pretty relevant to ANYONE near NJ.

Just sayin...

ac
avc8130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Research Rat OP
thrasher

Roy!

Have you ever given thought to becoming a professional stream of conscious writer? I kid, I kid:) You did ask some really good questions, so here goes...

A bit of background, I started off road motorcycle riding/enduro racing after I moved to "the big city." Roy's memory is good, it was through the adv scene that I got into racing. Truth be told, there is a community of enthusiasts into the dirt bike racing scene in the NYC area which makes getting into the sport a bit easier. Garages in Manhattan and Brooklyn provide safe places to store bikes and gear, I used Motorgrrl when I lived in Brooklyn and I know a few new places have since opened up as well. Private garages are also an option and I know shares often come available.

The club I belong to (MCI) is a member club of the governing body that organizes regional events in NY, NJ, PA, and DE (East Coast Enduro Assocation. www.ecea.org) We hold a monthly meeting where we enjoy a beverage, benchrace, and squeeze in some time to actually talk about club business. The meeting location is about an hours drive away and carpool from the city. There's always plenty of room.

I talked about the benefits of membership in the original post, so not much more to add to that other than I trail ride most weekends. The club doesn't own any land, but we do have access to land that we hold riding events.

The only thing we ask of members is to donate time to working our events and a day of trail maintenance. We have several members that don't race but adventure/dual sport ride. If you love off road motorcycles and you want to help out, chances are you'll be a good fit.

And for those with "younglings" that wish to get them into racing/riding-the ECEA youth hare scramble series does exactly that. The series provides closed course and SAFE course layouts for kids to ride their own pace and compete against others in same age class. More info on the ECEA site. www.ecea.org.

That's off the top of my head. Keep the questions coming!
-Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
more info or questions? a couple and some suggestions though. so MCI is in New Jersey and your posting in the NYC thread. Wonderful club actively involved in the sport and keeping it alive and trying to maintain if not grow the places to ride. i know you and some other locals have been making a go of this for a couple years now and making it work. To help encourage enrollment how about talking about how you guys are doing it. How long does it take to get to the meetings? Carpooling? Is there room? Are their considerations the club has made for attendance for regular meetings? Has the mention of the meetings being webcast to somewhere closer here especially in the winter months? We live in NYC. We can't afford to store and trailer a dirt only bike. Not all of us are rich like you. Can arrangements be made to house bikes close to the club. Barn, mini storage. Perhaps some local club members could look into some options that might encourage new membership from this area. What does ECEA stand for? What does MCI stand for? You got some new blood in the area that are discovering camping and the pines and their bikes both new and old. We know that the dual sport crowd feeds into the enduro crowd whether they like it or not. Look at you, Rich, Steve and i am old and forget the names of the other guys that are from here. How many members are currently from NYC area? The meetings do they align with days (weekends) that some of these potential members could come down for a meeting on say Friday night, camp and then ride saturday before heading home or stay another night at local campsites. Unfortunately i lost interest when the DRZ got stolen. We are all getting old, did not say we were all growing up. There are some of us that have young ones that we want to introduce or have introduced to the sport. Yet there is no place to ride here. I believe even with the new mayor that central park is still off limits for 2015. I know the clubs events include the youngins. Does the club have a way to offer some space for them to blast a 1/2 acre of land to work on the basics on a weekend/weekday. Does the club offer space for the adults to blast around on?

hmmm got to be the longest post i have ever made. one last question. is enduro a legitimate word? my spell check does not recognize it. perhaps this is the equivalent of a nigerian email scam and all of you should keep your money in your wallets!

one other thing i want to point out to the dual sporters is that joining a club such as MCI you get a chance to ride some areas that would typically be off limits down in the pines. which is an awesome place to ride. they have a great front/back yard. correct me if i am wrong there will be opportunities to ride during say an enduro to get yourself to a check point that you would man/woman for an event, there are pre rides for events and rides as sweepers which you can do on your dual sport. rides to maintain trails. scott, get off your lazy ass and talk this up a bit more if you want some of these people. sigh. wish i had a bike. and money. and time.

anyways, good luck to MCI and all of their competitors in 2015
Old 01-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Research Rat View Post
That's off the top of my head. Keep the questions coming!
-Scott

Thanks, Scott!

Here's a question: My wife and two kids (age 9 & 10 now) do NOT have street-legal bikes. Are there any MCI events they can participate in?

Regardless of that, I REALLY hope I can personally join up with you good folks this year! This will be only my second year riding dirt, and I'm still a n00b, too scared to participate in any "racing" events. Nonetheless, I've never been to the pine barrens before, and it's something I have to try.

Also, do you ever have mid-week events, or is it always weekends?

Jesse

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Research Rat OP
thrasher

Jesse!
All ECEA Hare Scramble events are closed course, meaning they are held on private land and vis a vis riders motorcycles do not need be licensed, insured, etc. That goes for both kids and adults.

Some of the ECEA enduros are also closed course (held on private land or the club receives a parade permit from the town) These might be a good opportunity for you and the wife to trail ride together, but your kids wouldn't make the age cut off.

If you came to a Hare Scramble event, your whole family could ride. The kids race on Saturday and adults on Sunday. Even as a noob, you could race a beginner friendly class in the sportsman race, where you wouldn't need worry about getting in someone's way. In fact, the last three years of holding our hare scramble, we've had success with riders racing in our big bike class.

All the ECEA events are held on the weekends-due to the considerable amount of time and effort required to hold an event. But I know alot of members with atypical work schedules play ride mid week.

-Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Thanks, Scott!

Here's a question: My wife and two kids (age 9 & 10 now) do NOT have street-legal bikes. Are there any MCI events they can participate in?

Regardless of that, I REALLY hope I can personally join up with you good folks this year! This will be only my second year riding dirt, and I'm still a n00b, too scared to participate in any "racing" events. Nonetheless, I've never been to the pine barrens before, and it's something I have to try.

Also, do you ever have mid-week events, or is it always weekends?

Jesse
Old 01-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
Research Rat OP
thrasher

And for what it's worth, my second year as an advrider I raced enduros on an xr650l with stock suspension, so don't be afraid that you don't have the "right gear" to get involved.

-Scott
Old 01-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Research Rat View Post
And for what it's worth, my second year as an advrider I raced enduros on an xr650l with stock suspension, so don't be afraid that you don't have the "right gear" to get involved.

-Scott

In my case, the "right gear" I'm missing is... balls.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
Research Rat OP
thrasher

If this was Jo Momma, I'd point out that you have two kids... oh wait....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
In my case, the "right gear" I'm missing is... balls.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,827
"My wife and two kids (age 9 & 10 now) do NOT have street-legal bikes." sigh, can you think of any state that has street legal bikes for 9 & 10 year olds.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #11
fitz4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Awesome job! Another positive for belonging to a club!

http://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com/...iation/1288001
fitz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #12
Joebmetro
10 KTM 690E

Oddometer: 1,473

Tough Crowd

LongIslandtormap
Joebmetro is offline   Reply With Quote