ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #2191
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,333
since I've got some time off, I might as well go moto camping.

Any suggestions on a nice campground that probably won't be crowded this weekend? Yeah, I know...

Something with a lake of river would be nice. Far north = good. Maine might be interesting. Plently of dirt roads up there.

Want to test my motocamping setup.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #2192
baiku OP
Maniacal Engineer

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
since I've got some time off, I might as well go moto camping.

Any suggestions on a nice campground that probably won't be crowded this weekend? Yeah, I know...

Something with a lake of river would be nice. Far north = good. Maine might be interesting. Plently of dirt roads up there.

Want to test my motocamping setup.
Umbagog Lake or Mollidgewock State Parks? There's a couple of places in Pittsburg if you *really* want North.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #2193
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,538
Today's lesson: "The world is not Flat".

Sorry, no pictures today, but...it all started with a down shifting question after our last session.

Took the long way over to a parking lot where we could demonstrate and then repeat.

"There's people here..." so we hit the street after a few short practice rounds. I can't say that I blame her. The two of us on that TUX had to be a sight. (Wanted her to have the benefit of the sound as well.) Yes. She did most of the drills on her own. The first was the only 2-up.

Anyhoo...from there we made our way to a steep narrow road. Here she soon learned about the stall speed of a TUX. Then the accompanying start on a steep incline. She did good.

A couple three times up and over that one, along with a little circle in a development to help her get over her aversion to roundabouts and it was time for the big hill. "That wasn't the big hill?"

To the Summit Road.

It flattened out just after the initial incline where I waited to go over downshifting and twisting the throttle a bit more to avoid a stall. Too late.

Going back I park and walk over to where she's getting a bit frustrated. Demo time. I'm convinced they never got into wicking it up a bit to get a start on a hill or similar situations so time for another sight and sound demo so she knew it wouldn't blow up or wheelie.

Her turn now. She does just fine.

To the top.

I promised a view but we couldn't see it from the pavement. Might as well get the first dirt road in today while we're at it. Again, fine.

Now for the descent. "Look where you want to go. Take your time..."

We've talked about the rider who died last year coming down Mount Washington. For the life of me I don't get it. Other than a Ural that has zero engine breaking, how can this happen due to 'failed brakes'? Not in a low enough gear? Peering over the side and eventually riding there? A shame is what it is.

She manages to get down without incident. Rather well, actually. "Ok. Where do you want to go? You still up for New Boston?" She had mentioned that before we even left the house.

We make our way there via the mountain. She leads to and from. Does a fine job. Asks to go to her work afterwards to get used to the turn off the 'highway' portion. We go. I know where this is leading.

Finally home we park the bikes. I break the news to SCS she'll be wanting to fly solo very soon.

As soon as she faces and conquers her fears of the roundabout there won't be too much of a reason not to let her. It's gonna happen sooner or later...

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #2194
baiku OP
Maniacal Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Today's lesson: "The world is not Flat".
snippety snip snip

Quote:
Finally home we park the bikes. I break the news to SCS she'll be wanting to fly solo very soon.

As soon as she faces and conquers her fears of the roundabout there won't be too much of a reason not to let her. It's gonna happen sooner or later...
I know it's hard to let go. (BTDT) That roundabout's a piece of cake, if she decides to think of it like that. 15 mph, look thru the turn, repeat.

Up and down Summit Rd. with gravel kicked onto the asphalt in the turns seems like a bigger challenge.

As they say in East Texas, 'Ya done good.'
Old 06-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #2195
EvilClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by baiku View Post

...That roundabout's a piece of cake, if she decides to think of it like that. 15 mph, look thru the turn, repeat...
The ability to look through it is very helpful.

Having a tendency to use each roundabout as a track day corner, not speed my observation is there are a large number of people who simply don't 'see' and/or don't know how to drive. Staying to the right of a double yellow and yielding are not hard.

We'll cover that again todaybut the roundabout highlights the need to 'drive for everyone else' and like you're invisible and they all want to kill you.

My experience in one the other night has me horn shopping for the TUX.

The 950 gives good horn.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 AM   #2196
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,218
Quote:
there won't be too much of a reason not to let her. It's gonna happen sooner or later...
Sounds to me like she is doing fine

and yes it is hard to let them fly solo...but she will do fine
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:54 AM   #2197
NikonVT
Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
I plan on transferring my GAIL plate to the GS in November when I renew my registrations. I'd like to continue displaying my ADV plate in some manner, but I can not find any information on the legalities of doing so.

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge about displaying expired plates on a vehicle? I'll try the DMV later today, but I was wondering if anyone has done this?
Off the top of my head...misuse/display of plates with get you a $150 fine and unregistered would yield, I think, about $100 fine

Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:56 AM   #2198
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer: 1,783
Some good ideas gleaned from your post EC. Thank you!
Lisa and I did our first road miles together yesterday
I felt like the Momma Goose on the GS watching my baby on the Ninja.
10 miles down 99,990 to go and I'll be ready for her to fly solo.
87 K75
Do what you love, and do it often.
SheRidesABeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:09 AM   #2199
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
EC, you are giving her the background, thought process and skills to fly solo safely.. It is always hard to turn them loose... with a little more practice, she will be executing round-a-bouts like a pro...

Gail, you are just getting started on the Ninja girl... I am confident that like EC you will groom the young lady so that when she is turned solo, she will be ready...

It is nice to be able to share this "sport" with your children, I think that is great!

Pat in NH
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 AM   #2200
steinVT
Just a rider

Oddometer: 30
Nothing better than passing along the love of motorcycling to your kids. I have two that got their motorcycle endorsements at the same time about 8 weeks ago. Since I own the bikes, I get to say where and when. The older (21) has had a couple of solos and the younger (17) is about ready as well.
I just wanted to add that an intercom has been a great training aide. I use an F4 Interphone and it was one of my best moto-investments ever. You can pass along the little things that are important, but you will never remember.

The other thing that really helped my two was they had both been riding dirt bikes for seven+ years when they showed up at the course. They had no issues.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #2201
EvilClown

Well, she's out there somewhere flying solo. Actually, riding with someone - just not dad.

Beautiful night for it.

Heading out to the shed to get the worry beads out of the GS tool kit.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #2202
EvilClown

Old 06-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #2203
baiku OP
Maniacal Engineer

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU
Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #2204
EvilClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by baiku View Post
In reality I've been sitting here with a permagrin. A dad moment really. Knowing she has reached a goal and on a picture perfect day.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:30 AM   #2205
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,289
Thumb

EC, I am not a parent, so I can only imagine the mix of emotions that are running through you right now. All the way from Fear to Pride and back again!

From all accounts, it looks like you have given her the knowledge and skills she needs and that she has the intelligence to succeed at it. Good on you both!

I have to confess that it's been pretty cool sitting and reading the posts by both you and Gail about teaching your daughters about riding. It sounds like you both have not only shown them the physical skills needed to ride but also shown them the joy that comes from riding . A truly winning combination for you all!
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote