ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #2941
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,829
Are any of you ham radio operators? Been thinking about getting my license for a while and have some questions. I am seeing a lot of advantage of having a portable radio with me for RallyMoto races and especially the Mexican 1000 down in Baja.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #2942
John22x
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Registry WR250F .....Got the plate will we get street title?

SO I had my buddy in register my wr250F in NH last night. I did a bill of sale over to hime as the owner.The previous owner before me signed MCO in spot where Dealer was supposed to sign on back of it. My buddy knew the lady at registry / Town Hall so she mad a call and said " your in luck beacause the bike is under 300cc we can let it go." He got a plate and registration. She said title should be in mail in about 4 weeks.

any experience with this ? DO you think I will get a street title in NH ?
The under 300cc comment make me think of Vermont that wont street title bikes under 300cc.
Any thoughts would be great.
The goal is to bring it back to Ma with a street title.

Thank you
John22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #2943
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,340
Wrong place to post this. But they do street titles in New Hampshire for under 300cc. And you should have got a blue copy of the title application from the town clerk. You will then get your NH title in a few weeks.

1 Wheel Drive screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 11:05 AM
1 Wheel Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #2944
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by John22x View Post
.... any experience with this ? DO you think I will get a street title in NH?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John22x View Post
Any thoughts would be great.....The goal is to bring it back to Ma with a street title....

The following is what is needed to make a trail bike legal in NH

-Bill of Sale
-OHRV registration (helps verify vin near as I can tell)

The following two forms signed by Inspection Agent:

-VIN Verification form (Blue form):
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/d...ms/tdmv19a.pdf

-R.S.A. 215-A:35-39 requirements form by MVTR:
http://mvtr.org/misc/mclegal.pdf

Take to Town or City Hall. If Town agent has questions, have them call DMV Title: (603) 227-4150

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #2945
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHampWoodsRider View Post
my newest addition:
Suhweeet!

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #2946
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Hop-Ev closed for mud season

All,

Hopkinton Everet riding area is now closed for "mud season". Will open up again no earlier than May 23rd. If we have a very wet spring it will open later, if we have a very dry spring it _still_ will not open before May 23rd.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #2947
Joe?

Oddometer: 683
Tires

Any one know somewhere or someone that would have a set of Shinko Ravens (180/55ZR17 & 120/70ZR17) in stock? The time for road trips always comes when you're least prepared.
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #2948
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
All,

Hopkinton Everet riding area is now closed for "mud season". Will open up again no earlier than May 23rd. If we have a very wet spring it will open later, if we have a very dry spring it _still_ will not open before May 23rd.

Thnx for the info. It would have sucked to load up my wife's bike and mine to go there, and find out it was closed.
ADV Pie Map
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #2949
Zilg0
31337 H4x0r

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Are any of you ham radio operators? Been thinking about getting my license for a while and have some questions. I am seeing a lot of advantage of having a portable radio with me for RallyMoto races and especially the Mexican 1000 down in Baja.
I got my "Ticket" this past November. The test for licensing is straight forward enough, the content is relevant to the privileges you are granted for a station license as well as ruels/regs/knowledge to keep you and others safe around Radio Frequency Radiation.

It's only as complicated as you want to make it, and every ham you encounter will be willing to help you out in one way or another.

Some times it is a bit much, but hanging around old(er) nerds can be entertaining at times.

http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training American Radio Relay League.

I am excited to set my bike up with APRS for the coming season, Like SPOT with no fees, check me out... http://aprs.fi/a/KB1WDM

Let me know if I can be of any help.

- KB1WDM
Zilg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #2950
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilg0 View Post
I got my "Ticket" this past November. The test for licensing is straight forward enough, the content is relevant to the privileges you are granted for a station license as well as ruels/regs/knowledge to keep you and others safe around Radio Frequency Radiation.

It's only as complicated as you want to make it, and every ham you encounter will be willing to help you out in one way or another.

Some times it is a bit much, but hanging around old(er) nerds can be entertaining at times.

http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training American Radio Relay League.

I am excited to set my bike up with APRS for the coming season, Like SPOT with no fees, check me out... http://aprs.fi/a/KB1WDM

Let me know if I can be of any help.

- KB1WDM
Been studying using the online tests and yeah, test is pretty straightforward, especially if you have had any electronics background. Taken the practice test several times and never scored below an 85% and only need 70% to pass. I am taking the test in Bedford this Saturday.

Stopped in at Ham Radio Outlet in Salem the other day and did some shopping. One of the guys there rides and showed me the setup on his bike. This could be a dangerous hobby for a gadget geek like me

I picked up a Yaesu VX-7R handheld which should do everything I will need for now. Will be perfect for emergencies when I am outside of cell range. Also has the ability to be programmed to TX on frequencies outside of the HAM band which I am going to need for communication with my pit support when racing in Baja in a couple months.

Not sure if this radio will do ARPS. I have a Spot but as you say would be nice to have essentially the same functionality with no subscription cost.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #2951
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
any of you going to do Field Day by motorcycle?
I have heard the term but don't really know what a field day is is. From what little I do know sounds like an excuse to go play with toys. If that is the case then probably yes, I like toys

On thing that sounds like fun is a "fox hunt" where one guy goes someplace and transmits and everybody else tries to find him. Hide and seek for big kids. As the newbie I am thinking that being the "fox" would be fun. The bike would be great for this, also give them the challenge of finding my tiny 5w signal from my handheld.

BTW if anybody else is interested in getting their license there is a test in Bedford on Saturday:
http://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/be...h-03110-5206-8

Between some basic electronics knowledge (what is a resistor, capacitor, transistor type stuff) and some common sense you could probably get 70% with minimal studying.

Practice tests can be found at: http://qrz.com/

Would be nice if some of the guys I ride with had radios, would make coordinating group rides much easier if we had 1 radio up front and another in back.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #2952
Zilg0
31337 H4x0r

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
any of you going to do Field Day by motorcycle?
I plan to make an appearance at one this summer, should be interesting. Having a station on a bike I hope to bring something unique. I believe a F650GS Dakar makes for a ultimate mobile station.

I have a Kenwood TH-D72A "unlocked" that I hook up to a Mirage BD-35 amp out to a Comet CA-2x4SR antenna. The Kenwood has all the kit needed for APRS built into a HT. My amp/antenna combination provides for 65Watts on the VHF & 89Watts UHF ERP. This antenna is ground independent and designed to transmit out of band of amateur frequency for search and rescue folks, so LandMobile 140–160 in the VHF band is an added bonus. I have never measured the SWR, but I plan to after I get the assembly on my bike. I plan to post a write-up when I get that done. My mobile APRS packets originating in Burlington,VT are received direct by an I-gate in Montreal Canada some 78Mi away, I consider it p-goods.

It is a little gray but with a GMRS license you could use your Part90 gear to communicate with others via their FRS & GMRS motorcycle wireless headset intercoms, just have to hack the CTCSS "Privacy codes".

Quote:
|Been studying using the online tests and yeah, test is pretty straightforward, especially if you have had any electronics background. Taken the practice test several times and never scored below an 85% and only need 70% to pass. I am taking the test in Bedford this Saturday.
I would wish you luck but it sounds like you are good to go, have fun!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #2953
drc42
Rally Dreamer

1000th post!

I posted something in another thread and noticed it was post 999. I figured my 1000th post should be here.

I lived in New Hampshire for over 10 years and knew very few people who were not either co-workers or friends and family of co-workers. Even my wife is the sister in law of a co-worker. I really didn't get out much outside of work

Then a few years ago I bought a KLR and discovered this cool advrider.com site. After 3 years I have a whole new set of friends with common interests and I actually get out and _do_ things now. Been great riding, camping, and whatnot with all of you and looking forward to more in the future!

Even if many of you are a bad influence on me
Old 03-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #2954
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,772
Similar story for me Doug. I moved to MA from California in '03 and didn't know a soul. ADVrider helped me meet all the fine people in the New England states that I like to ride with.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #2955
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
I posted something in another thread and noticed it was post 999. I figured my 1000th post should be here.

I lived in New Hampshire for over 10 years and knew very few people who were not either co-workers or friends and family of co-workers. Even my wife is the sister in law of a co-worker. I really didn't get out much outside of work

Then a few years ago I bought a KLR and discovered this cool advrider.com site. After 3 years I have a whole new set of friends with common interests and I actually get out and _do_ things now. Been great riding, camping, and whatnot with all of you and looking forward to more in the future!

Even if many of you are a bad influence on me
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote