ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #4441
FreeTheBeast
Chocks away!

Oddometer: 2,917
Talking Sunday weather...

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/04073

To ride or not to ride. That is a stupid question.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #4442
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,346

Hoping to get out for a blast later today, too!
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #4443
airhead749
n00b

Oddometer: 8
NH riding

Hey, looking to ride in NH this Fri/Sat. but not sure where to ride. I understand there is a pretty good network of trails not too far off rt. 89. I'm dropping my track bike off in Derry and I figured while I'm at it why not check out the areas trails that I've heard so much about. What condition are the trails in? I don't have studs. Looking for a 20 mile loop or so the I can do couple times since I'm not in riding shape yet. I have a registered in RI KTM 250 xcw. Any ideas? Thanks.
airhead749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #4444
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead749 View Post
Hey, looking to ride in NH this Fri/Sat. but not sure where to ride. I understand there is a pretty good network of trails not too far off rt. 89. I'm dropping my track bike off in Derry and I figured while I'm at it why not check out the areas trails that I've heard so much about. What condition are the trails in? I don't have studs. Looking for a 20 mile loop or so the I can do couple times since I'm not in riding shape yet. I have a registered in RI KTM 250 xcw. Any ideas? Thanks.
1st you'll need a NHOHRV sticker

2nd you will be illegal cuz the hop - everett trails are closed for mud season
as well as most of the nh trails are closed
the only ones legaly open are the rail trails around woodsville and the one that runs from newport to claremont
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #4445
airhead749
n00b

Oddometer: 8
nh riding

Ok, thanks. Like I said I won't be riding in NH after my visit to Derry this weekend. But definitely want to try it once everything is legal and I get the proper reg. for NH trails. Guess I'll do my usual loop in CT.
airhead749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #4446
FreeTheBeast
Chocks away!

Oddometer: 2,917
Cool2 GPX file for Sunday ride...

GPX file attached for the ride on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
There's a ride planned for Sunday, April 6th. The route is from MAX BMW in North Hampton, NH to Ted's Fried Clams in Shapleigh, ME. The ride will take a few coastal roads before cutting into the countryside on back roads over Mt. Hope to Shapleigh. All paved roads. I have my own route home from Ted's. People can make their own way home after lunch in whichever direction they need.

The ride will depart from MAX BMW parking lot at 10AM. This means kickstands up at 10:00:00. Fuel tanks full. Bladders empty. ~2.5 hours to get to Ted's. 76 miles, or so.

I will probably be at Betty's Kitchen at about 08:30 for breakfast before the ride.

Leave your diet at home.

Attached Files
File Type: gpx MAX to Teds.GPX (151.4 KB, 26 views)

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #4447
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead749 View Post
Ok, thanks. Like I said I won't be riding in NH after my visit to Derry this weekend. But definitely want to try it once everything is legal and I get the proper reg. for NH trails. Guess I'll do my usual loop in CT.
...and, please, please wait until things have a chance to dry out, even if they are legally open. There are some places that drain and dry quicker than others (and places that never drain and dry), but keep in mind that running through an area that will be dry in a week could leave ruts that last a long time.
kbroderick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #4448
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
GPX file attached for the ride on Sunday.
Too high tech for me. Can I just follow ya'll.

Fer serious, I'm in.

DRZ is not feeling well. But the V-Strom is dusted off and ready to party.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #4449
27Dgresridn
LM Lurker/HP Sherpa

Oddometer: 30
Moto Rents in NNN

Hey All,

I'm looking to do a fly-n-ride in late July and was looking for rentals in the area. Found MotoVermont in South Burlington, but any feedback about them and or other places is appreciated. Final destination is Deer Ilse, ME. Was looking at taking US 2 from VT to ME - any ideas what this is gonna be like at height of tourist season?

Best,

27Dgresridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #4450
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,711
We rent bikes at Twisted Throttle. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/factory-store/rentals And we will pick you up and deliver you to Providence airport. I have heard that MotoVermont will deliver a bike to Logan airport but you might want to check on that. Hope you have a nice vacation and enjoy New England.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #4451
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,221
where's the 1190r rental? that might get me to RI!

i promise to ride it gently and in a manner conducive to "a trip to starbucks".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
We rent bikes at Twisted Throttle. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/factory-store/rentals And we will pick you up and deliver you to Providence airport. I have heard that MotoVermont will deliver a bike to Logan airport but you might want to check on that. Hope you have a nice vacation and enjoy New England.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #4452
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Dgresridn View Post
Hey All,

I'm looking to do a fly-n-ride in late July and was looking for rentals in the area. Found MotoVermont in South Burlington, but any feedback about them and or other places is appreciated. Final destination is Deer Ilse, ME. Was looking at taking US 2 from VT to ME - any ideas what this is gonna be like at height of tourist season?
US 2 is not the best way to go. Riding parts of it is almost unavoidable, but there are sections of relatively boring two-lane with limited passing opportunities that can be readily avoided. How many days do you have, and what type of riding do you prefer (street, maintained gravel, or dirt)?
Old 04-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #4453
27Dgresridn
LM Lurker/HP Sherpa

Way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
US 2 is not the best way to go. Riding parts of it is almost unavoidable, but there are sections of relatively boring two-lane with limited passing opportunities that can be readily avoided. How many days do you have, and what type of riding do you prefer (street, maintained gravel, or dirt)?
Thanks for the adv...will be travelling 7 days, but will need to be in Deer Isle, ME by day 2, so will prolly stick to pavement roads, especially as I'll have the wifey with me. Sad to hear US 2 is not great...thought it would be scenic since it passes Mt. Washington and looks like it follows riverways and seems to be somehwhat twisted. Wanted to avoid interstates and feel the backroads.

27Dgresridn screwed with this post 04-03-2014 at 02:09 PM
Old 04-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #4454
27Dgresridn
LM Lurker/HP Sherpa

Tanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
Thanks...I didn't even think about TT...have bought a few things from yous. I'll take a look see at what u got!

Old 04-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #4455
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Dgresridn View Post
Thanks for the adv...will be travelling 7 days, but will need to be in Deer Isle, ME by day 2, so will prolly stick to pavement roads, especially as I'll have the wifey with me. Sad to hear US 2 is not great...thought it would be scenic since it passes Mt. Washington and looks like it follows riverways and seems to be somehwhat twisted. Wanted to avoid interstates and feel the backroads.
Parts of Route 2 are quite scenic and a quite decent ride. Others, eh, not so much (granted, I may also be spoiled based on where I live and ride...if there's another car in front of me waiting for the one-lane covered bridge on the way to work, that's a busy traffic day).

If I'm trying to get from BTV to Maine quickly, I'd take 89S to Montpelier, pick up route 2, and ride it east to St. Johnsbury, where I'd pick up 91S to 93S. From 93S, take exit 40 and pick up US-302E through Bethlehem to US-3N to NH-115 back to Route 2E, just west of Gorham, N.H. That's about 3.5 hours at a leisurely-ish pace from Burlington to Bethel, Maine. There are at least a handful of places to add more interesting riding, but that depends on how much time you have to spend. The time on 91 and 93 is generally not bad at all; the speeds are higher than the secondary roads, but the scenery isn't bad, and it's much easier not to get stuck behind a log truck or an out-of-state tourist doing 10 under.

With more time, you could also come south a bit more and head across the Kancamangus, but I wouldn't recommend that on a weekend at the height of tourist season. You'd get plenty of time to enjoy the view, though.