ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #61
MeRide
Me like bikes!

Oddometer: 1,132
That old Tucker has what looks to be a T245 L-head six in it. They do run smooth and quiet except for the cooling fan noise. Had one in my old truck too. With only 6.7:1 compression it wasn't too hard to hand start the engine with the accessory hand crank.

Fall ride on a 1935 motorsickle
MeRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #62
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,712
well i'm not real sure, but it kinda felt like up the east side to the first radio tower, them up the south side to the summit

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #63
Joe?

Oddometer: 673
Klr

I've been causally looking for a DS for these winter months and came across this today. Any thoughts or concerns would be appreciated. Never owned a dirt/DS bike before, for what its worth.

Kawazaki- KLR 650 -1998 - $1250 (Boston)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-02-16, 9:19PM EST
Reply to: sale-smxgj-1604290818@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kawazaki- KLR 650 -1998 - 5580 milles-New tires-New batery; Only $1,250.00 Cheap!!Cheap!!!Good opportunity!!!!!

Unaffiliated with post, etc.
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #64
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe?
I've been causally looking for a DS for these winter months and came across this today. Any thoughts or concerns would be appreciated. Never owned a dirt/DS bike before, for what its worth.

Kawazaki- KLR 650 -1998 - 5580 milles-New tires-New batery; Only $1,250.00 Cheap!!Cheap!!!Good opportunity!!!!!

grab it quick, low miles, low price, I ride a 98 and it does just fine
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #65
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR
That is an excellent buy...

Pssst, PWRCRZR....

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #66
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR
+1

Don't think you can get hurt financially on that one.

If yer gonna pass on it let us know. If you don't, post some pics of yer new bike!

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #67
Joe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
If yer gonna pass on it let us know. If you don't, post some pics of yer new bike!
I'll shoot him a line tonight and find out some more. I'm still just window shopping, though this might be hard to pass up. If any of you FFs are seriously interested and want me to go over and kick some tires I'd be more than happy.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #68
MeRide
Me like bikes!

Oddometer: 1,132
Sending an email tonight will be far too late. Call the seller now. I'd bet it's already gone. .

Good luck and I hope you get it !!!!

Fall ride on a 1935 motorsickle
MeRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #69
EvilClown

Quote:
I'll shoot him a line tonight and find out some more. I'm still just window shopping, though this might be hard to pass up. If any of you FFs are seriously interested and want me to go over and kick some tires I'd be more than happy.

Thanks for the help.
Ok. I'll bite. What are you thinking you'll be doing with this dual sport you think you need?

Oh, and Mark's (meride) right. Call now!

Old 02-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #70
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Quote:

it really depends on what kinda riding your gonna be doing with it, pavement? pretty good, interstate? not so much, or at least not for very long,dirt roads? just fine, dirt tracks? like atv trails? not if they are steep or muddy, and pits? hill climbs? stunting? jumping? well just no it wont do those things, all in all though a very good price for what it is, and what it is, is a proven dependable scoot

Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #71
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthauler
it really depends on what kinda riding your gonna be doing with it, pavement? pretty good, interstate? not so much, or at least not for very long,dirt roads? just fine, dirt tracks? like atv trails? not if they are steep or muddy, and pits? hill climbs? stunting? jumping? well just no it wont do those things, all in all though a very good price for what it is, and what it is, is a proven dependable scoot
or to sum it up, a nice Dual Sport bike... and probably the most commonly owned bike on the Maine Riders forum...
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #72
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

except for when i take my co-worker on his klr 650 along on rides with me, he tends to get stuck and it's just plain slow off road, the power to weight screams 20 year old tec, and as to the most popular? i'd think it would be a toss up between that and the drz, but what do i know seems like most of the guys i ride with all have crf450's and yz's and exc300's a couple guys i've ridden with run old kx500's, now that's an amazing bike, kind of a cross between a rototiller and a clear cutting machine

Old 02-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #73
Joe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
Ok. I'll bite. What are you thinking you'll be doing with this dual sport you think you need?
The current dual sport keeps getting bogged down

I wouldnt say I need it, just be nice to have more flexibility than 900lb cruiser has to offer. I'd have to ride a decent way to get off road anywhere, so it has to handle its own on pavement, city driving, etc, and at least be able to do highway speeds for a few miles.

Never really ridden dirt so I cant say to what extent I'd want to go. I'd guess the PDT and some double track would be a good place to start. And snow, or at least snowy. Thats how this all started. I don't mind getting the VTX dirty one bit and freezing my ass off on the way, but once the roads start to get questionable that is the wrong bike to be on.

The DRs and WRs and the like look like fun bikes, but I'd like something with a little more meat to haul me around. In all honesty if I had the money and space I'd report directly to the Ural dealership, but thats a few years out.

So thats my dissertation. Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #74
Joe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthauler
except for when i take my co-worker on his klr 650 along on rides with me, he tends to get stuck and it's just plain slow off road, the power to weight screams 20 year old tec, and as to the most popular? i'd think it would be a toss up between that and the drz, but what do i know seems like most of the guys i ride with all have crf450's and yz's and exc300's a couple guys i've ridden with run old kx500's, now that's an amazing bike, kind of a cross between a rototiller and a clear cutting machine
I am not familiar with the kx500, but I would like to be That power to weight ratio must make things interesting on the trail.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #75
EvilClown

Quote:
I wouldnt say I need it, just be nice to have more flexibility than 900lb cruiser has to offer. I'd have to ride a decent way to get off road anywhere, so it has to handle its own on pavement, city driving, etc, and at least be able to do highway speeds for a few miles.

Never really ridden dirt so I cant say to what extent I'd want to go. I'd guess the PDT and some double track would be a good place to start. And snow, or at least snowy. Thats how this all started. I don't mind getting the VTX dirty one bit and freezing my ass off on the way, but once the roads start to get questionable that is the wrong bike to be on.

The DRs and WRs and the like look like fun bikes, but I'd like something with a little more meat to haul me around. In all honesty if I had the money and space I'd report directly to the Ural dealership, but thats a few years out.

So thats my dissertation. Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.
The KLR is a lot of bike to learn dirt on. Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done. Just saying it's a big bike to learn on.

Good news is if you got this particular one you could more than likely quickly flip it if you thought it wasn't the one.

As for your requirements: it has to handle its own on pavement, city driving, etc, and at least be able to do highway speeds for a few miles, it'll do all of those just fine. It really is a great all around bike.

BTW, if you don't require new, a Ural can be in your future sooner than you think.