ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #91
baiku OP
Manaical Engineer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
That'll be the last of that now that the 'challenge' is over. Got my new Duro mounted up this past weekend.

Got an extra set of wheels, too. Might do up a set of knobbies for the spring dirt riding.

You did get a screaming deal on that rig but even one with many more miles than that can be a bunch of fun. And 2-wheel drive isn't absolutely necessary to ride the good stuff.

Sidecar Sue shot this on her first 'off road' ride.

One wheel drive will go through much worse than that with that bald tire!

That was Sue's first offroad? Judith's too. I bounced the hell out of her in 1WD on Chris's last offroad section, and she wanted more! Married 36 years, and I never thought she'd enjoy those shennigains! Mud time in 2WD could be fun.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #92
MeRide
Me like bikes!

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by baiku

That was Sue's first offroad? Judith's too. I bounced the hell out of her in 1WD on Chris's last offroad section, and she wanted more! Married 36 years, and I never thought she'd enjoy those shennigains! Mud time in 2WD could be fun.

My wife told me that she feels disconnected from the motorcycle experience when in the sidecar on the street but enjoys being the Ural monkey on dirt roads and off-road. Since she can't ride on the back of my dirt bike she only got to see those rides via helmet cam back at the house. Now with the Ural she can go off-roading too. Originally she had no interest in riding in a sidecar but that changed quickly after she tried it once.

Fall ride on a 1935 motorsickle
MeRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #93
Joe?

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR
Sounds to me like you are looking for a KLR...

I was in your shoes a year ago, I had never ridden dirt or any sort of dual sport riding. I just wanted something beside a cruiser..

First I tried a Bandit 1200 which was great but still not a good foul weather bike or dirt road bike.

Then I got my KLR.. for me it has just the right mix of abilities.

It is a great back road bike, handles highways if you choose, loves dirt roads and will do some easy 2 track.. Add some luggage and you have a great solo touring platform..

For me this seams to be the perfect mix, I keep thinking about getting a more dirt worthy bike but to be honest I will never be a dirt bike rider.

If you are looking for an inexpensive, easy to maintain bike that will handle street duty as well as dirt roads and easy trails then you found it.
You really hit the nail on the head, PWRCRZW Still no email back from our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
That'll be the last of that now that the 'challenge' is over. Got my new Duro mounted up this past weekend.
Nice shoes. I look forward to an upcoming RR on the break in ride And I would buy used, preferably with one of those fancy upgraded alternators.
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #94
MeRide
Me like bikes!

I took a ride today with no destination. Just bimbled around. Nice sunny day out. The frost heaves are everywhere and have lots of definition this season. It was riding the whoops on the street. Lots of body surfing on the bike today with tons of fun. In the future it will be illegal to have this kind of fun. Did some dirt road riding too but I think they were really mud roads today. The new set of knobbies and carbide studs felt very good on and off road. Covered at least 13 towns in my travels. The bike looks cleaner in this photo than it is. I guess the sunlight washes it clean? When I was gassing up I was at the pump with a snowmobile. Later I realized I should have taken a photo of the snowmobile at one side of the pump and the Ural on the other. Oh well. I only saw one other bike this afternoon. An ironhead Sportster parked in front of a restaurant in downtown Goffstown. Plenty of snowmobilers waving though!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #95
Little_Wing
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeRide
I took a ride today with no destination. Just bimbled around. Nice sunny day out. The frost heaves are everywhere and have lots of definition this season. It was riding the whoops on the street. Lots of body surfing on the bike today with tons of fun. In the future it will be illegal to have this kind of fun. Did some dirt road riding too but I think they were really mud roads today. The new set of knobbies and carbide studs felt very good on and off road. Covered at least 13 towns in my travels. The bike looks cleaner in this photo than it is. I guess the sunlight washes it clean? When I was gassing up I was at the pump with a snowmobile. Later I realized I should have taken a photo of the snowmobile at one side of the pump and the Ural on the other. Oh well. I only saw one other bike this afternoon. An ironhead Sportster parked in front of a restaurant in downtown Goffstown. Plenty of snowmobilers waving though!
Where abouts were the dirt roads? I am in Southern NH (Londonderry) and we don't have any around here. I am looking to plan a NH trip out for the summer and any info would help. Thanks!
Little_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #96
MeRide
Me like bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Wing
Where abouts were the dirt roads? I am in Southern NH (Londonderry) and we don't have any around here. I am looking to plan a NH trip out for the summer and any info would help. Thanks!

Welcome, Little_Wing. Dirt roads are everywhere in NH. The heavily populated towns won't have much if any but the more rural towns will. From where you are you'll probably need to go north-northeast and maybe north of Rt101 or due west past the Nashua/Merrimack area.

What kind of bike are you riding?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #97
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Check out this post about the NH Classic 2010 event in June of some of the best NH dual sport roads:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post11255279

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #98
Little_Wing
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeRide
Welcome, Little_Wing. Dirt roads are everywhere in NH. The heavily populated towns won't have much if any but the more rural towns will. From where you are you'll probably need to go north-northeast and maybe north of Rt101 or due west past the Nashua/Merrimack area.

What kind of bike are you riding?
Me and my dad ride. I'm 18 and am on a 2005 KLR 250 my dad is on a 2007 KLR 650. We both have off road experience and we are looking for a nice ride around NH/Maine/VT for a few days this summer.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #99
Little_Wing
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv
Check out this post about the NH Classic 2010 event in June of some of the best NH dual sport roads:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post11255279
Right before I saw this I was on the website for the 2010 event. We will definitely have to consider doing this. Looks great.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #100
MeRide
Me like bikes!

Quote:
Me and my dad ride. I'm 18 and am on a 2005 KLR 250 my dad is on a 2007 KLR 650. We both have off road experience and we are looking for a nice ride around NH/Maine/VT for a few days this summer.

Your KLR 250/650 are great for dirt road travel for sure. Do a search for the Bayley Hazen road in VT in both the Northeast area and the Ride Reports area on ADVrider. Ohers here have had fun riding that and learning about it's history. I'm sure more riders will chime in here soon with their recommendations. There is a lot of good riding in northern New England.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #101
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,527
Had a blast this weekend over in Vermont riding the ice.

A few more pics begining here at the bottom of the page.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #102
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,489
I just wanted to tell everyone what a great time we all had at the MZ compound. Scott and Melanie are great host...

Mz, Goodol and Junkyard did an outstanding job plowing and maintaining the track.

I enjoyed meeting many new folks and I was very impressed by the riding skills many of them have.

Trying the big pig of a KLR for my first time on the ice was probably not a great idea..It was nice to play with but hard to push it with the front end wanting to wash out..

I would really like to try the ice again on a smaller better set up bike..Maybe I do need a DR350

again thanks to all who worked so hard to make this a great get together..
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #103
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
A bunch of us ride both, usually Sunday's after the snow is gone. We put the KLR to the test, when we're not on our more dirt capable bikes:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528992

dmottv screwed with this post 02-22-2010 at 06:48 AM
dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #104
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR
I just wanted to tell everyone what a great time we all had at the MZ compound. Scott and Melanie are great host...

Mz, Goodol and Junkyard did an outstanding job plowing and maintaining the track.

I enjoyed meeting many new folks and I was very impressed by the riding skills many of them have.

Trying the big pig of a KLR for my first time on the ice was probably not a great idea..It was nice to play with but hard to push it with the front end wanting to wash out..

I would really like to try the ice again on a smaller better set up bike..Maybe I do need a DR350

again thanks to all who worked so hard to make this a great get together..

I see that!
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #105
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper
I see that!
Gonna build me one
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote