ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #31
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
I think you'd be happy with the F4. No complaints from callers AND my iPhone understands voice commands even at speed and that bitch is notoriously picky

Also - the F4 and iPhone pair back up flawlessly when you turn them on. Now if Apple would just release a full implementation of AVRCP we'd be in tall cotton.
Didn't someone say it didn't work well with the iPhone?
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #32
Kieth
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kieth's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 384
As you discussed the lack of iphone control with the F4 I might mention there are a lot of manual wired remotes that have the fast forward etc for from 7.00 to 60.00........not impossible to get around the problem......
Kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #33
bmwhd
God Bless Texas
 
bmwhd's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
As you discussed the lack of iphone control with the F4 I might mention there are a lot of manual wired remotes that have the fast forward etc for from 7.00 to 60.00........not impossible to get around the problem......
I've been looking at those but I don't really mind using the voice control for that until OS 4.0 pops in June (which should have the full AVRCP implementation)
__________________
Todd R.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #34
owrstrich OP
F O T G
 
owrstrich's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: CA OR WA ID NV
Oddometer: 192
the microphone is really sensitive... visor open = annoying wind noise... but no distortion or tunnel or echo sounds otherwise... its the best ive had...

i just hooked up the phone to make sure it all worked and so i know how to do it in the future... i have not been using the phone so im not sure how the operation compares on an ongoing basis... but i can say the sound in n out was the best ive had...

after sorting it all out to make sure it worked as advertised... we are just using the intercom... which i can report is waterproof to date...

j o




Sounds like you have had some experience with some various headsets. Do yo think that this new F4 system has a superior Microphone to the other systems you've tried? How do you think the sound of your phone conversations with the F4 compare with the BTS systems you had?

The reason I'm asking: I currently have a BTS-200 like you had and have absolutely had it with the crappy mic on that thing. Tired of my phone conversations going like this: "WHAT? I can't hear a thing you are saying... WHAT?" I've tried the wired and the boom mic, turning up the sensitivity, they both are horrible. MP3 music is pretty good, but that mic, ugh! Before I had the BTS-200 I had a Chatterbox XBI which had a great mic apparently as my phone conversation went more like "Wow, you are on a motorcycle? Really?" But the XBI was not acceptable to me because it would not re-connect to my phone without manually redialing the last number (IMHO a proper bluetooth headset should auto-connect to a paired phone when turned on!) The BTS-200 definitely has better speakers for MP3. I'm ready to throw in the towel on the BTS and move on to a next generation headset where I can get the best of both worlds, good speakers, good mic.
owrstrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #35
bsquarewi
wee-nie
 
bsquarewi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: milwaukee
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by owrstrich
the microphone is really sensitive... visor open = annoying wind noise... but no distortion or tunnel or echo sounds otherwise... its the best ive had...

i just hooked up the phone to make sure it all worked and so i know how to do it in the future... i have not been using the phone so im not sure how the operation compares on an ongoing basis... but i can say the sound in n out was the best ive had...
Good to hear. I went ahead and ordered one up. Also ordered the "Flat Mic" for full face lids so hopefully that' mic will work out just as well. Should be here in a couple days and cannot wait to get that Camos out of my life.
bsquarewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #36
hltmac
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 3
I recently bought two Interphone F4s. I use them for rider and passenger. So far they are great! There is slight wind noise when traveling at higher speeds but not enough to be annoying. I have an ipod touch that I was able to connect to it and it worked great. There is a 1-2 second delay when you skip to the next song, but that is ok with me! I will write a more thorough review once I use them more extensively.
hltmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:54 AM   #37
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,557
A few questions for you Interfone users, as this really looks like a great product:


- Is it possible to use my own personal in-ear speakers instead of the helmet speakers with this system?

- I need this system to do the following:
- Allow rider to passenger comms
- Allow me to synch directly (not through the GPS) with an Iphone (to listen to music)
- Allow me to get directions from the Zumo 550



So the questions are:

- Will the GPS interrupt the music with directions, if the music is not running through the GPS)
- Can I synch all three devices: Zumo, Iphone and passenger and use them all at the same time - ie. listen to music, but have that interrupted for GPS directionsor when my passenger speaks to me?

- Will the above also work if the passenger is synched to their own music source - can they still speak to me?

- What happens if my passenger has a music source that is not Bluetooth enabled - can it still be used?

Thanks,

tim
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #38
RichardU
Let's Ride
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2
Is it possible to use my own personal in-ear speakers instead of the helmet speakers with this system?
Not that I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2
What happens if my passenger has a music source that is not Bluetooth enabled - can it still be used?
Use a bluetooth adapter like the WiRivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2
Will the GPS interrupt the music with directions, if the music is not running through the GPS)

Can I synch all three devices: Zumo, Iphone and passenger and use them all at the same time - ie. listen to music, but have that interrupted for GPS directionsor when my passenger speaks to me?

Will the above also work if the passenger is synched to their own music source - can they still speak to me?
You have three bluetooth connections available: Phone, Music, and Intercom. GPS is connected through the Phone channel. If you connect the iPhone to the Music channel, I don't think you could use it as a phone through the intercom. If you connect the iPhone to the GPS, you can use it as a phone, but any music you play on the iPhone will not be in stereo since the Zumo 550 does not support stereo bluetooth. To get full phone capability and stereo music capability, connect the iPhone to the Phone channel, and use a bluetooth Adapter on the stereo output of the Zumo, then play music from the Zumo. The order of priority is addressed in the manual.

A link to the manual is available here.

From the Manual:

3.8 Telephone + Stereo (A2DP) + Intercom function
With this combination, the connection to the telephone function ta-
kes priority. Before connecting the devices, please ensure that all three
have been used at least once with INTERPHONE F4.
• During a telephone conversation, interphone conversation
and the playing of music are not permitted.
• During an interphone conversation, you can answer or re-
fuse a telephone call received. To answer, press and release
the MFB button, to refuse press and hold the MFB button for
approximately 4 seconds.
• During an interphone conversation, the playing of music
is not permitted.
• Whilst listening to music on the Stereo A2DP, you can
answer a telephone call received, or enable an interphone
conversation. To answer, press and release the MFB button.
To enable the intercom function, press and hold the MFB
button for approximately 3 seconds. An acoustic sound will
advise you of connection. Conversation in intercom mode is
full-duplex.
• To adjust the volume, press the buttons Volume + or Volu-
me -, depending on the desired volume level.

RichardU screwed with this post 04-07-2010 at 09:04 AM
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #39
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU
Not that I know of.

Use a bluetooth adapter like the WiRivo.



You have three bluetooth connections available: Phone, Music, and Intercom. GPS is connected through the Phone channel. If you connect the iPhone to the Music channel, I don't think you could use it as a phone through the intercom. If you connect the iPhone to the GPS, you can use it as a phone, but any music you play on the iPhone will not be in stereo since the Zumo 550 does not support stereo bluetooth. To get full phone capability and stereo music capability, connect the iPhone to the Phone channel, and use a bluetooth Adapter on the stereo output of the Zumo, then play music from the Zumo. The order of priority is addressed in the manual.

A link to the manual is available here.

From the Manual:

3.8 Telephone + Stereo (A2DP) + Intercom function
With this combination, the connection to the telephone function ta-
kes priority. Before connecting the devices, please ensure that all three
have been used at least once with INTERPHONE F4.
During a telephone conversation, interphone conversation
and the playing of music are not permitted.
During an interphone conversation, you can answer or re-
fuse a telephone call received. To answer, press and release
the MFB button, to refuse press and hold the MFB button for
approximately 4 seconds.
During an interphone conversation, the playing of music
is not permitted.
Whilst listening to music on the Stereo A2DP, you can
answer a telephone call received, or enable an interphone
conversation. To answer, press and release the MFB button.
To enable the intercom function, press and hold the MFB
button for approximately 3 seconds. An acoustic sound will
advise you of connection. Conversation in intercom mode is
full-duplex.
To adjust the volume, press the buttons Volume + or Volu-
me -, depending on the desired volume level.
Hmmm - that sounds pretty good. I don't care about using the phone while riding - I just want the music.

So this means I could use the Iphone through the Music channel, the GPS thru the Phone channel and use the intercom.

So what is the experience with that setup if I am riding along and listening to music and my passenger wants to speak to me - do I hear some sort of beep and then have to push the button to do intercom? How do I know when the passenger wants to talk?

Also, does this mean the passenger can listen to their own music through their own MP3 player right because each unit is a stand alone.

Finally, is there any way to listen to music through hardwire with the interfone, or BT only?

Thanks!
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #40
bmwhd
God Bless Texas
 
bmwhd's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2
Hmmm - that sounds pretty good. I don't care about using the phone while riding - I just want the music.

So this means I could use the Iphone through the Music channel, the GPS thru the Phone channel and use the intercom.

So what is the experience with that setup if I am riding along and listening to music and my passenger wants to speak to me - do I hear some sort of beep and then have to push the button to do intercom? How do I know when the passenger wants to talk?

Also, does this mean the passenger can listen to their own music through their own MP3 player right because each unit is a stand alone.

Finally, is there any way to listen to music through hardwire with the interfone, or BT only?

Thanks!
The Interphone doesn't have a hardware input port.

You can choose to use VOX for intercomm if you like or you can leave it in the default mode where you press a button to talk to your partner.

You and your passenger can each have their own music source.

BTW - One of the speakers on the Interphone connects with a 2.5mm jack so splicing in a pair of in-ear speakers is potentially 50% easier than if you had to cut/spice on both sides.
__________________
Todd R.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #41
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
The Interphone doesn't have a hardware input port.

You can choose to use VOX for intercomm if you like or you can leave it in the default mode where you press a button to talk to your partner.

You and your passenger can each have their own music source.

BTW - One of the speakers on the Interphone connects with a 2.5mm jack so splicing in a pair of in-ear speakers is potentially 50% easier than if you had to cut/spice on both sides.
Sorry to be anal about this, but I'm not familiar with VOX.

So if I'm listening to my music and my passenger is listening to her music, how do I know when she wants to speak to me? Can she just push her intercom button and it overrides my music? If I'm reading the above correctly, I would hear some sort of acoustic sound, then press my MFB to go to intercom mode and speak to my passenger?

Thanks in advance for the detailed replies - this may be a better solution than the Scala after all. I particularly like that it is fully waterproof.
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.

Thinc2 screwed with this post 04-07-2010 at 11:31 AM
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #42
bmwhd
God Bless Texas
 
bmwhd's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2
Sorry to be anal about this, but I'm not familiar with VOX.

So if I'm listening to my music and my passenger is listening to her music, how do I know when she wants to speak to me? Can she just push her intercom button and it overrides my music? If I'm reading the above correctly, I would hear some sort of acoustic sound, then press my MFB to go to intercom mode and speak to my passenger?

Thanks in advance for the detailed replies - this may be a better solution than the Scala after all. I particularly like that it is fully waterproof.
Never mind, VOX apparently only works for phone calls.

For intercom sessions, the way it works is that once you have paired your two F4 units (rider/passenger), either of you can initiate an intercom session by pressing the MFB and holding it for 3 seconds. So in your scenario she would press and hold her MFB for 3 seconds, you'll both hear a beep, your music will pause and then you will hear her talking and you can talk back (full duplex). Unlike an incoming phone call, I don't believe there is a way for you to 'reject' an intercom session initiated by her.
__________________
Todd R.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #43
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
Never mind, VOX apparently only works for phone calls.

For intercom sessions, the way it works is that once you have paired your two F4 units (rider/passenger), either of you can initiate an intercom session by pressing the MFB and holding it for 3 seconds. So in your scenario she would press and hold her MFB for 3 seconds, you'll both hear a beep, your music will pause and then you will hear her talking and you can talk back (full duplex). Unlike an incoming phone call, I don't believe there is a way for you to 'reject' an intercom session initiated by her.
This has been the biggest negative about the F4 that I read when I read the manual. My wife and I currently have the Scala Q2's and although we tend to "manually connect" if we are going to be talking for a while, its nice to have the option to open a conversation via Vox just to say something. My biggest concern with the F4 is the fact that you have to actually hold the MFB button down for 3 seconds to establish a conversation. I would have been more eager to over look the no Vox on the F4 if it was just a quick button tap on the MFB like it is on the Scala's, but I think having to hold it down for 3 seconds really shows they put the bike to bike communication behind the phone priority. IIRC, if you don't hold the MFB button down long enough, it tries to establish a voice call on your cell. I just think that would be super annoying if you screwed up when you really wanted to quickly relay something to your riding partner and instead of opening a conversation, you get the voice dial on your phone!

I guess I'd have to try it real world to see, but I think the potential is definitely there to be a super annoying quirk.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #44
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,557
Thank you for the explanation, and agree the details are important in these cases.

Lots to think about ...
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #45
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,557
One last question - if I have the GPS connected to Phone, and Iphone (for music) connected to Music, and the Interom synched to another F4,

Will the GPS interrupt the music to give me directions?

i realize the manual that was posyed says the two cannot work at the same time - but that is not the same as telling me that the GPS will interrupt the music. On another thread someone posted that the GPS will not interrupt the music in this configuration.

Can anyone clarify?

Again - this is with the music not synched through the GPS, but synched through the F4.
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014