Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #61
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo
I wrote the "bugman" review on Amazon that DirtMerchant referred to back on March 13 in this thread. I wrote a full review on another site when I first bought my F4's back in 2009: http://majestyusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6252
The initial review that started this thread was right on (and more entertaining to read than mine).

To clear up the iPhone problem (it has NOT been resolved):

If you are listening to music on your iPhone 3G and a phone call comes in, the music is paused, you complete your phone call, and your music resumes. All good.

However, IF you are listening to music and an INTERCOM call comes in from your riding buddy, your music is not paused and, worst of all, the music does not return to you (only way to get it back is to take out the iPhone, close the iPod app (by opening Safari or something), then reopening the iPod app). Obviously, that means stopping the bike. This sucks.

If you have an iPhone 3GS you can get around stopping because you can voice-command the iPhone to open another app and then reopen music.

The lack of AVRCP standard application on the iPhone prevents you using the "FF and REW" buttons on the F4 with either iPhone 3G or 3Gs. This is a minor annoyance. I often use Pandora (via the internet) when riding, and it does stink to listen to a song you don't like, but I can get over it.

The InterPhone "official fix" us to make you buy a BlueAnt iLink adapter is stupid, as it plugs into the bottom of your iPhone (eliminates charging possibility while riding), and creates a SECOND bluetooth transmitter for the iPhone (one built in, and one from the iLink). While it works (music stays playing and resumes after you receive an intercom call), your iPhone will run out of battery REALLY fast because it is running a 2nd hardware bluetooth transmitter.

The InterPhone folks could create an easy fix (the system needs to send the same "STOP" signal that it does when a phone call comes in), but they did not do that yet (I've begged 'em for it). The bad thing for current F4 users is that he F4 does not have an upgradable firmware like many of their other products.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the units. They work as advertised other than this major glitch for iPhone 3G users. I just make sure I am the one to initiate all the intercom calls (I stop my music first), as my riding buddy has an iPhone 3Gs, and he can voice-command his way back to music.
Yep. Apple really slays me with their refusal to fully implement the industry standard AVRCP protocol on the iPhone (come on Steve, INDUSTRY STANDARDS is what you quote for not supporting FLASH so get with it!).

In any case, on my 3GS (and on Thursday iPhone 4!) I use a double tap of the main button on the F4 to start/stop music if it happens to drop out. Also, voice control works to start/stop and to skip tracks so it's not all bad.

One thing I don't like is that streaming audio from Wunderadio doesn't mute correctly when a phone call comes in. The volume drops down but not enough. Perhaps that will get better once they re-compile with the new iOS 4 APIs for background audio.

BTW - the new Pandora for iOS4 released today kicks but. Backgrounds correctly and mutes/restarts on phone call.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #62
eanth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Standard Mic w/ full face helmet?

Hi all. Many thanks for the great info re. this device. I'm looking to purchase soon. MrHit will have them on sale at $149 for the "next several months" according to their customer service rep.

Quick question: I wear an Arai XD3 w/ some, but not too much, room between my mouth and the front of the helmet. I'd think the flat mic may fit best, but C.S. at MrHit.com says these may be discontinued (though another site i visited recently said it was included in the kit at no additional cost).

Any issues w/ the standard mic among full face riders? Anyone use the flat mic and care to share their thoughts about it?

thanks in advance.

eanth screwed with this post 06-28-2010 at 04:20 PM
eanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #63
Wheresmurph
SEEKER OF PEACE

Oddometer: 535
Had a similar issur to owrstrich,sound in the left side is out.
Well,not cpmpletly out its about 80 right 20 left.
Called the company and waiting for them to let me kmow.Hope it happens soon,i`m off to OR and Prudhoe in a week.

UPDATE:Just got off the phone with the company.They`re mailing me out a new headset,no paperwork to submit or nuthin.Good show.
For others who have this issue the guy I spoke with at BlueAnt was Brendan Bertolini.Very helpfull.

www.wherethehellismurph.com

Wheresmurph screwed with this post 06-28-2010 at 05:42 PM
Wheresmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #64
imintman
FL_atlander

Oddometer: 6
Okay, I just installed a pair of Interphone F4s, one in a Shoei Syncrotec and the other in a Nolan N102. Up to this point I’ve been using a J&M NAV-MP/3 system connected to Garmin Zumo 550. Audio was routed to my helmet via one of their best wired headsets. The motorcycle is a 2007 F650GS single with stock fly screen. My wife and I finally decided that these Bluetooth gizmos had evolved to the point of being useful for bike to bike comms so we purchased a set. Our primary use will be intercom, GPS and cellular. I just installed the unit and have ridden with it only twice so don’t expect a lot of information. I’m contributing here because I got a lot of useful data from this thread and figured my info might help somebody else.

First off, the webbikeworld dude said you could not install the F4 in a Shoei Syncrotec. Mine is installed and working fine. I guess it helps to be of a certain age and well beyond the fear of tearing things apart. I did have to remove some foam in order to make a channel for the left speaker/mic assembly. I would much rather have these things separated and deal with them one at a time. Having the boom attached to the left speaker is the F4’s Achilles heel when installing in some helmets, particularly the Shoei Syncrotec. Speaker location and angle is critical. The boom may cause attached speaker to tilt in the same axis as boom travel. Other manufacturer’s units have the boom attached to the helmet bracket which surely must be a better solution. Installing the unit in my wife’s Nolan 102 was easy.

The only comparison I can make right now is to my MIL spec-like J&M system. Compared to J&M, the F4 is a toy until you turn it on. Believe it or not, F4 volume is on par if not better than J&M’s massive speaker endowed unit. How is this possible? The Interphone has speed or ambient noise compensation as good as anything I’ve ever experienced. During the test ride travelling at 70 mph I initiated a couple of phone calls using the Zumo. The recipient had no idea I was on my motorcycle. I also called my answering machine so I could hear for myself. I had done this before with the J&M and was amazed with the results. The F4 is light years ahead of J&M when it comes to audio processing. During my test loop I also listened to a radio podcast. Volume and intelligibility were as good if not better than my wired system.

If it wasn’t for my distaste of the left speaker boom microphone design, this thing would be da bomb.

imintman screwed with this post 07-01-2010 at 01:26 PM
imintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #65
kelseyu
Thumper Chick

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by imintman
Okay, I just installed a pair of Interphone F4s, one in a Shoei Syncrotec and the other in a Nolan N102. ....
Excellent review, and my thoughts exactly. The good news is, they do make a flat-mic kit which is available here. The better news is it's only $30. Lots of systems charge $30 for a simple cable.
kelseyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:38 AM   #66
steinVT
Just a rider

Oddometer: 33
Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread, great info here.

Still would like to know if anyone has used the flat-mic and also if anyone has received their order from MrHit? That price seems almost too good.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #67
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinVT
Still would like to know if anyone has used the flat-mic and also if anyone has received their order from MrHit? That price seems almost too good.
I have a tracking number, not that it means much yet, but...
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #68
bsquarewi
wee-nie

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Still would like to know if anyone has used the flat-mic
I've had the flat-mic installed in my Shoei RF1000 with this kit since I bought it. The sound of the mic is great (according to the people on the other end of the phone when I talk to them). While it's not really "flat" it does come with a mic that's probably only 1/4 to 1/2" deep mounted on a flat black adhesive strip with the mic wire adhered to for easy running under the front cheek pads. Mounted the mic dead-center of my chin bar so my lips just touch when talknig.

Bought mine at WirelessRiders.com, while not as low price as the Mr.Kit deal, he did offer to swap out the boom mic for a flat mic for me at no charge.
bsquarewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #69
imintman
FL_atlander

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable
I have a tracking number, not that it means much yet, but...
I ordered my set from MrHit.com. Had the units at my door in three days via USPS Priority mail.
imintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #70
steinVT
Just a rider

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
I ordered my set from MrHit.com. Had the units at my door in three days via USPS Priority mail.

Good enough for me, mine are on order too. Looking forward to conversing with my wife more often than stop signs.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #71
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Still would like to know if anyone has used the flat-mic
I've used the flat mic. What do you want to know? As I recall, the left speaker still has a big plastic "tail" where the boom would have plugged in.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #72
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
From MrHit, I ordered mine June 30th at ~2300, it got here this morning July 3rd. I paid for the priority mail.

Now if only it would finish charging!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #73
owrstrich OP
F O T G

Oddometer: 192
owrstrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #74
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Got mine charged and paired, and it's nowhere near as loud as I was expecting with my iPhone and the volume turned all the way up. Now it doesn't seem to want to talk to my phone and GPS at the same time, time for some tweaking.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #75
owrstrich OP
F O T G

Oddometer: 192
greetings thetable...

i had to mess around with the speaker placement before i could get loud volume...

the key for us was to get the speakers absolutely lined up with the ear canals...

it took some fussing with... but once they were in the sweet spot it was like front row for double live gonzo...

j o
owrstrich is offline   Reply With Quote