User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Harp_63 OP
Just Ride

Oddometer: 29
Tillamook OHV...Jordan Creek to Trask

The skies are clear and the mountain was waiting. Don, Stuart, Rob and I decide we are going to explore more of the Trask area leaving from the Jordan Creek staging area.

We arrive at 9:00am and it must be a sweltering 30 degrees out with a little frost on the ground. I step out of the heated trailer and there is a guy standing right outside the door, George is looking for someone to ride with so we cover our plan and he joins in.

We head out and hit Jordan Creek trail for a little warm up. Here is George on the tail.
George (CRF250X)

Stuart (WR450)

Rob (XR400)

Our last ride was the break-in ride for Stuart's bike and we decide this time it will be the break-in of Stuart. We decide to take Stick-In-The-Nose trail up and over the ridge. This is gnarly loose rock hill climb that tends to give some riders a problem. It is all about momentum...

I take the lead and head up the trail, it is nice to get off the road as the wind chill really sucked riding the road to the trail head.

Here is Don followed closely by George and the upper part Stick-n-Nose.

Don, George and I ride up to the first junction and wait, and wait, and wait. George points out that he has just completed a rebuild on his 250x but there appears to be a problem. The case is rather oily. During our wait we start seeing drips of oil hitting the ground. This does not look good for George's recent rebuild.

I finally head back to find Stuart and Rob and they are just making it up the tough section of the trail. Rob had also went back to find Stuart frustrated with the hill. Rob explained to the trail got easier around the corner, even though it didn't. Either way it convinced him to continue on and he made it up the next section which was probably the toughest. We finally converge at the top.

This is the last picture we will see of George. He has to take the oil leaking Honda back, he decides to ride up to the ridge road and take the easier way back down to the staging area.

We head for a small hill climb that does not have the loose rock. The sky is clear as you can see and the temp is starting to rise. The tight trails have also helped with the body temperature.
Stuart

Rob

Don

We are motor'n now and I decide to hit mostly 2-track to get us over to the Task area. A few pictures:

Once we cross over the Trask River we try to stay on 2-track trails so that we can go out as far as or gas will let us. This time of year the daylight is also a concern as it starts getting dark around 5:00pm.

Staying on 2-track is hard to do and we hit some technical single track with the occasional rut which is causing Stuart's bike to lay on its side quite often. I am in the lead so I don't get to see much of this but I do hear the stories from Rob and Don.

We decide to take a break and have lunch about 20 miles out. We figure we can go out 40 miles before we need to turn around. Don and I have 3.2gal tanks but we are both packing an extra 1/2 gal for our stock tank buddies... just in case we run them out of fuel. I decide to unload mine into Stuart's tank thinking my 1/2 gal should fill his tank. Not the case the it doesn't fill the bike. We are a little confused about this but no reason to worry. His bike was just opened up, rejetted and dino tuned. The main jet is smaller than Don and mine so we figure he has to be getting better fuel mileage.

We eat and head out.

There is a mix of nice 2-track and single track that is awesome riding. The weather is now perfect for riding and the trails are pretty much nice and moist with great traction. I continue pressing on as I know the daylight could become a factor as we are not covering the distance I thought we would. Sticking to the trail all the sudden I see that it is getting steep quickly... crap i remember this hill and I know it too much for our new rider we are breaking in. No time to stop now, I roll the throttle on as it gets steeper. I reach the top where I can finally radio back to Don to stop the guys but too late. I grab the camera and walk of the hill just to see Stuart's bike facing the wrong direction and him standing beside it, I send him back down. I just get to my bike and hear Rob headed up the hill I grab the camera again and capture him killing it right on the steepest part.

He then starts rolling backwards. This is not a good idea, too bad I didn't have the video going. Here he is laying against the embankment once his bike came to a stop. He tried to pick it up before I could take the picture.

Back to more nice 2-track. There were a few mud-holes but not very many.

Not sure what I did here... what ever it was I am sure Don didn't see me taking the picture. I think I was hidden behind my hand.

Rob

Don

We make it to Big Bertha and take the side trail around. With fatigue setting in Stuart decides to pass on this and take a break.

We take a short break and regroup.

We only went to Big Bertha to try and put some space between another group of riders that we kept running into. We head back to the nice 2-track and take off. This turns out to be a fantastic trail with a few water crossing. Here are the pictures from the trail.

Rob tries to run me over...

Rob is trying to show off for the camera again.

Notice the lean and tire is turned, this will not turn out good.

As I was saying Rob decides to show off for the camera and gives me quite a show. This picture is blurry because what happened next happened quick and my camera was telling me to hold still. Rob's bike all sudden shoots straight left. The lean, tire turned and notice the what the back tire is about to go over caused this, but he shoots straight up the embankment.

You can see where he has to come back onto the trail.
I really like being that camera guy, people do shit they normally wouldn't do when they see
the camera.

We are now headed back to our staging location. When we hit the end of this trail we were at the south fork of the Trask River and there wasn't a clear continuation of the trail. It was after 3:00pm and we have completed 33 miles.

We climb to the top of this hill to find out we are in the path of a couple of guys sighting in their rifles. Not sure what possesed them to set up target practice right in the road be I couldn't get out of there soon enough.

We keep heading back and get about a mile from the gun range and Stuart's bike dies. We think maybe it's all the gas on one side due to the amount of time his bike has been on it's side. Nope, it actually is on reserve. We are a little concerned about this as we are 20 miles from the staging area. The only reason we can come up with on Sturat's excessive fuel consumption is the amount of time it was on its side. Probably leaking profusely out the carb overflow.

Don is coasting down the hills now with the engine off trying to conserve all the fuel we can.

We finally hit the gravel road and I know how to get us back by riding the roads. Of course the sun is over the mountain now and the temp. is starting to drop. The road riding is going to be cold but not a problem... I flip on my grip heaters and hit the road. We pick up the pace and a think for a second "I'll bet those guys hands behind me are cold", I pick up the pace a little more...

We hit the top of the ridge and decide not to attempt going down Stick In The Nose since it was a bitch to get up. We add a few miles to the return trip and come down Rogers road. Here are the last pictures of us on the Rogers Road trail

Stuat's bike makes it back on Fuel. Rob has to hit reserve for the last mile and we finally get to sit down and have the drink of champions. Except Rob... Not sure what that stuff is he is drinking.

Needless to say there are a couple of individuals that will have larger tanks before we try this ride again.

Until the next ride....

Harp_63 screwed with this post 02-23-2010 at 03:04 PM
Harp_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,044
Great day!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,557
Looks like a fun day on 2 wheels, thanks for sharing it
Old 02-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Harp_63 OP
Just Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn
Great day!
Greg, it was a great day and there is more to come on this RR. I had it finished last night but again got caught by the auto log off. Oh well I will get more efficient at this RR soon.

We have been finding some fantastic trails, good enough that I think I can tour the likes of you and the BDS guys around over here and have a blast. We really need to plan on 1 or two days of riding. We could all camp or go back to town either way it would be some great riding.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
monrcar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Great

Nice job... camera's just don't capture how steep a hill is.
Looks like some nice trails out that way.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Dale write your RR in Word then simply copy and paste it into ADV. No worries about the auto log off.

My son's state tourney is over there in a few weeks on a Saturday. I'm secretly planning how I could stay over on Sunday and ride with you guys. Need to make it a win-win for the rest of the family.

You won't recognize the Yami...it's all blaaaaaack!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
BigHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Browwwwwwn

Quote:
Dale write your RR in Word then simply copy and paste it into ADV. No worries about the auto log off.

My son's state tourney is over there in a few weeks on a Saturday. I'm secretly planning how I could stay over on Sunday and ride with you guys. Need to make it a win-win for the rest of the family.

You won't recognize the Yami...it's all blaaaaaack!
It will be all Browwwwwwn once you go riding in the trask. Okay maybe just your seat.
BigHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
That's what she said.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Harp_63 OP
Just Ride

Trask Continued

Since the east side guys have decided to come over and ride with us the 14th Don and I decided we should make sure we have a nice loop figured out prior to their arrival.

It is a nice day and the weather looks fantastic. It has been raining continuous for the last few days but today looks great (2/28/10). We pack the extra fuel just in case our exploration takes us too far...

We hit the first trail and it doesn't take me long to figure out the conditions on the trail are not what they where last weekend. In this picture I have just picked up my bike. No the trail doesn't look that bad but that is one slick mother. imagine the front tire in one rut and the back in the other... now imagine me slapping the ground and that is exactly what happened.

Here Don is smiling at my misfortune, anyhow I think that is a smile

We continue on but with a little more caution around these slick conditions. We hit a lot of single track today but it is all good.

You can see the single track we were just on in this photo going into the trees.

We decide this would be a good place for lunch. The sun is out and we have a southern exposure with great views like this.

This picture of Don tells it all we just needed to stop and rest and it looks like it. I am sure I look exhausted too.

During lunch we are invaded by the KTM gang. There are definitely a lot of KTM's on this side of the mountain, it appears to be the bike of choice for
Trask area riders.

There was one Yamaha in the group.

We finish lunch and head out for more single track. Here we are finally getting out of the canyon where we ate lunch.

With the slick conditions my hands and arms were getting more tired than usual. I think it was the death grip I had on my handle bars. I went down more
today than I had in the all the riding this year and last for that matter. Here is another awesome single track that we came down and it appeared it would
be a lot more fun to go up. Hopefully the terrain conditions are better when you guys are in town as we are going up this one.

That is it for the pictures of the trip. I think Don has more so he will have to post those. I know he has a video of my screwing up a hill climb and I am sure that one will be posted.

All in all a great 71 mile route. I was beat but I think a lot of that was from the number of times I picked up the 260+lb. Yamaha. Can't wait to get you guys out here.

Harp_63 screwed with this post 03-01-2010 at 10:22 PM
Old 03-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
We have dust and we like it.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #11
Humunn
Moto Prozac

I'll touch base with you Saturday and let you know for sure.

My bike is still a basket case but coming together slowly.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
BigHo
Adventurer

West side.

Quote:
I'll touch base with you Saturday and let you know for sure.

My bike is still a basket case but coming together slowly.
Hmmm... Humunn. Get the Yami together and get some east side rider buddies over here so we can show you guys some nasty single track riding in the daylight.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
hensons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Looks like a good ride!
hensons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
BigHo
Adventurer

We are heading there

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
We have dust and we like it.
Dust would be nice and is why we plan on heading your way end of this month. Hope there's no snow to deal with. Four corners to SLHS is the plan.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHo
Hmmm... Humunn. Get the Yami together and get some east side rider buddies over here so we can show you guys some nasty single track riding in the daylight.

Thanks for the sign language picture. That's really nice.
But anyhoo, I'm in as long as my son makes state...he's a tad nervous because one of the state's best in the weight class above him is trying to cut to his weight. Yikes! I'll know Saturday. Mike is in and so is Mark and Kylek too I think. Looking forward to it.