User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
EvilRoySlade OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Question Kazakhstan to Turkey

What's the best route by sea or land from Kazakhstan to Turkey? Iran and Turkmenistan would not be an option for me.
EvilRoySlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoySlade
What's the best route by sea or land from Kazakhstan to Turkey? Iran and Turkmenistan would not be an option for me.
There is a ferry from Aktau to Baku in Azerbaijan but it's very irregular and I've heard bad reports. Via Russia using the more regular Sochi - Trabazon ferry or the coast road south to Baku are the only other routes I can think of. Ferry is probably the easiest but I've not been (yet).
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
The Sochi-Trabzon ferry runs twice a week. Price is $50 per person (or $90 with a berth) and $400 for a car. Not sure what they charge for a bike. It is a 12 hour ride. Private vehicles are on deck, so you have access.
The ferry is fairly regular on days, but can leave 8 hour late (ours did). Food and drink on board, run by Russians. Has a wide screen TV in the lounge that runs Russian movies for the whole trip. The do have cold beer.
Enter Russia from Kazakhstan at Astrakhan and drive west to the coast north of Sochi, then south along the coast. That will avoid problem areas in the south. Watch out for crooked Russian cops near Stavropolis.

The Caspian Sea ferries are very irregular, dirty, and have no food or drink on board, so bring your own. Don't know the cost. Vehicles are stuck in the hold, and there is a fine for leaking oil or any fluid onto the deck. Crew sometimes helps leaks, since you pay the fine on board before you leave. Also you need a LOI to get a visa for Azerbaigan (about $125 plus visa).
LC4Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
vespas
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Baku Azerbaijan

But the biggest impression that the road condition left on me was not of the difficulties of the passage to Baku, but instead a sense of embarrassment for the Azeri people.

Baku, cheap daily ACCOMMODATION by 35 manat http://www.bakurealestate.net

Borsht! A superb hearty veggie meaty stew thing. And it is cheap. After a hard days cycle a borsht will more than set you up for the next day.

It scores highly on the completion satisfaction scales. The northern Balakan to Baku road runs a clear week long satisfying traverse which takes in some breathtaking mountain scenery as the Caucuses run a parallel line to the north.
Tea. I want to say the people but think this goes without saying. Tea, then, is the clear social driver in Azerbaijan, each day we received countless invitations for tea. And what feather-light refreshing tea it is! Nothing makes cycling touring in Azerbaijan more wonderful than the wealth of opportunities to simply get off the bike, in the middle of some random little village and sip away the afternoon with the local people. Who cares if we don’t speak the same language!

vespas screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 03:43 AM
vespas is offline   Reply With Quote