Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #76
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650

There is a huge issue - I can't see shit in front of me.

Rally-style fairings are really designed for stand-up riding.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #77
sellmeyer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Engine Guard Mold Prepared

This has dragged on for far too long! Its been a tough week-really feel dragged down by work, class, and the nagging form-building process on this mold!

Photo 20 - Engine Guard Mold Prepared

This one has quite a few different angles and odd lines on it; I had to cut all of the wood by hand. Thankfully an electric Makita jig saw arrived tonight after I had worked late last night to complete the form. Oh well, next time I can leave the hand saw in the cabinet and you all won't read me bitching about the process.

Anyway, the parting line is set to get most of the part in this mold. I've got the tooling pins in place so that later I can complete the last little bit for the top edge on the front of the mold.

Later today its getting a few coats of release and I'm going to build this sucker.

BMac, when I'm done I'll dig out my sketches and try to get them up here along with a few photos of the bike with the foam fairing master in place.
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #78
sellmeyer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

on the subject of lights: a comparison

Oh what the hell, while I'm looking for photos of the fairing I find instead some photos of the lights.

Here are some photos of the stock light from the single spark bike with a nice PIAA lamp installed. I'll compare it against the projectors.

***all photos have matching exposure values, so what you see is an accurate comparison of the difference between the lights***

OE Low beam from a single spark Dakar

Projector Low beam for the GSR

OE High beam from a single spark Dakar

Projector High beam for the GSR

At this point I don't have any photos of the IR bulb in the projectors, but I did a side by side of them in the basement and the special lamp was brighter still.

I need some sleep.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #79
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmeyer
This has dragged on for far too long! Its been a tough week-really feel dragged down by work, class, and the nagging form-building process on this mold!

Photo 20 - Engine Guard Mold Prepared

This one has quite a few different angles and odd lines on it; I had to cut all of the wood by hand. Thankfully an electric Makita jig saw arrived tonight after I had worked late last night to complete the form. Oh well, next time I can leave the hand saw in the cabinet and you all won't read me bitching about the process.

Anyway, the parting line is set to get most of the part in this mold. I've got the tooling pins in place so that later I can complete the last little bit for the top edge on the front of the mold.

Later today its getting a few coats of release and I'm going to build this sucker.

BMac, when I'm done I'll dig out my sketches and try to get them up here along with a few photos of the bike with the foam fairing master in place.
I was in the composites design and manufacturing business for over twenty years building everything from Stinger missile components to race cars for Electramotive, Toyota, Mears Racing and later about 20,000 snowboards/year, and for the life of me cannot figure out why you have a flange on this mold. It should have a trim-clean edge on it. I've pretty much completed my own composite skid plate and there's not single reverse in the part, so why a multi-piece mold?

Talking about reverses, I just completed a 1.85 gallon auxilary fuel tank that was bladder molded. Sits on the rear of the bike and blends right into the body lines. It utilizes a stock filler system. Makes a great place to mount a giant loop and you can still fill it up.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #80
sellmeyer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
...for the life of me cannot figure out why you have a flange on this mold. It should have a trim-clean edge on it. I've pretty much completed my own composite skid plate and there's not single reverse in the part, so why a multi-piece mold?
Several reasons for this, just a few

a) This isn't simply a skid plate, this one will have storage-part of the top surface comes back towards the engine where the bulkhead attaches
b) I am going to have to make a multi-piece mold when I do the fairing...need some practice on something that is pretty simple first-a 2-piece mold on a box is simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Talking about reverses, I just completed a 1.85 gallon auxilary fuel tank that was bladder molded. Sits on the rear of the bike and blends right into the body lines. It utilizes a stock filler system. Makes a great place to mount a giant loop and you can still fill it up.
Do you have a thread going on this already?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #81
sellmeyer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So I give up on any fancy curve and aerodynamics.

Do you have any markup/prototype you can share? Maybe I can get some ideas.
Here you go:

The sketch above was an original concept with a slight sweep back towards the rider. Note the near vertical trailing edge of the fairing and the steep leading edge as well. Both of these features have since changed

This is an incomplete drawing with no reference to the rest of the bike, but note the sweep on the trailing edge. Also note the GPS above the instrument stack.

In the first photo I was planning on mounting the GPS flat on the center bracket; sort of far away from the rider. Since then I've put it on a different mount that places it farther back towards the rider. This has allowed me to sweep the top portion of the fairing back to improve forward line of sight.

I hope this gets the idea across. I have not been able to photograph the bike with the foam fairing on it. The mold was finished very early this morning and I've only just cleaned up the mess.

-more later when I can get some time...
Old 03-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #82
Stegerman
MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer: 583
feel free to ignore me or take out your frustrations by telling me to shut the hell up....but in the "Lets see your F650" thread in thumpers there is a few pictures of a guy who usd a KTM 640 ADV fairing and headlight kit on his F650. Seems like it was pages 51-58 or so.

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #83
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
S

Do you have a thread going on this already?

Won't be doing a thread on it. Pics over in the Dakar Thread.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #84
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Here you go:

The sketch above was an original concept with a slight sweep back towards the rider. Note the near vertical trailing edge of the fairing and the steep leading edge as well. Both of these features have since changed

This is an incomplete drawing with no reference to the rest of the bike, but note the sweep on the trailing edge. Also note the GPS above the instrument stack.

In the first photo I was planning on mounting the GPS flat on the center bracket; sort of far away from the rider. Since then I've put it on a different mount that places it farther back towards the rider. This has allowed me to sweep the top portion of the fairing back to improve forward line of sight.

I hope this gets the idea across. I have not been able to photograph the bike with the foam fairing on it. The mold was finished very early this morning and I've only just cleaned up the mess.

-more later when I can get some time...
that looks nice. looks simple in the photo but what pain do in real life
Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #85
sellmeyer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[quote=john_aero]
Quote:
Questions:
what HID unit are you getting? presume it is an H4 drop in for your OE lens?
Which rallye fairing are you talking about?quote]

i like the touratech style fairing but would like get blank one and match it up to my bike as i am not in position to buy new dash or brackets so was looking get a mould made or find one already done and modify it to fit onto the standard mounts

as for the HID kit, looking getting set from ebay, be honest i cant remember the name of it but will post link when home as cant get on ebay at work

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xenon-HID-H4-L...item27afe03dfe
For what its worth, the unit that BMac is using costs <$50USD and includes 2 units so you could have a spare. It is much less than the one you provided in your link. I have no idea how good these units are after the 1-week honeymoon is over. Hopefully BMac will have a good test underway soon when he gets his bike back to 100%

Regarding the TT fairing, we can debate all day about how you're going to get that to adapt to the OE bits on the bike...but what it comes down to is this: You can't order the fairing from Touratech by itself unless you can show proof of purchase for one of their full Rallye kits. They only sell replacements to folks who have purchased the whole set. You may get lucky and score one on the used market and go from there, but I wasn't able to get one from TT. There is at least one other post somewhere around here of another guy who tried to do that and was told the same thing. YMMV

Should you end up with one and want to fit it to OE bracket and lights, you're in for a good bit of work because the OE bracket doesn't come close to matching the dimensions of the TT fairing. Since the light is designed to plug into the fairing, you'll need to fab some bracket to bond to the fairing in order to accept the light. Add to that some additional work trying to blend the thing to match the OE plastics and you're in for many hours of labor. I think you would end up finding that it isn't so much more work to make your own bracket, etc.

-anyway, that is what I think.

There is another post in Thumpers of a guy with a black GS who fitted the TT fairing. I'm not sure how much help that project is in terms of guidance for you, but there are some good pictures of the finished product for you to review.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #86
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
There is a huge issue - I can't see shit in front of me.
there is a reason most of the dakar guys stand ALOT,,,
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #87
BMacW650

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT
there is a reason most of the dakar guys stand ALOT,,,
My problem wasn't understanding why it's high. I made mine not much taller than the one on the 640 ADV. So I wasn't expecting the result.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #88
BMacW650

Oddometer: 727
[QUOTE=sellmeyer]
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero

For what its worth, the unit that BMac is using costs <$50USD and includes 2 units so you could have a spare. It is much less than the one you provided in your link. I have no idea how good these units are after the 1-week honeymoon is over. Hopefully BMac will have a good test underway soon when he gets his bike back to 100%
I've ridden my bike with these hella lights + VVME HID kit for about 15 hours. It's amazing! The most important part of this mod for me is that I no longer need any auxiliary lights. Before I got mine, I talked to many car guys who have used this conversion kit with no problem at all.

sellmeyer, I hate to post pictures on your thread, but I don't intent to make a thread about anything so just want to share some ideas here to get the creative juice flowing.

This is what I have done over the weekend. The original plan was to bend straight lines from acrylic. But to do a long bend with a heat gun was very tricky. So I gave up early, put the damn thing in the oven and pressed it with the stock dakar screen.

Here is a reference of my light bracket tilt adjustment. (I made it netural) because the Hella light's mounting screws are spring loaded and have about 5-10 degrees of adjustments.

BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #89
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
where did ye get the lights for that price?

looking good lads and jealous of the projects.

ya i think it be a case of keeping the stock light and making up a whle new front end similar to what ye have donw here using either aluminium or else a polimer. then make up my own fairing and that way keep costs down

have get myself a second bike to keep myself on the road while do all this work
Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #90
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,674
i like the new one bmac.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote