Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #91
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT
i like the new one bmac.

+1. Going to look cool. I like the turnbuckle headlight adjuster too.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #92
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
+1. Going to look cool. I like the turnbuckle headlight adjuster too.
was thinking that too, very simple but easy to use and reach
Old 03-22-2010, 05:13 AM   #93
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
just heads up, i have gotten access to a vac moulder so if anyone has a plug or mould i can make a cast copy and then make multiple plastic fairings.

was thinking of making 1 in clear and other in white plastic, that way could cut the screen out from the clear section and fit it onto the white fairing and have matching lines
Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #94
sellmeyer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Back at at; finally!

It has been a long time since I last posted; June 1st rolled past more than two weeks ago. While I didn't get enough done, at least I got the bike out and rode it.

Here is a photo from a recent trip to Utah; location is somewhere on the South side of Baxter Pass in Western Colorado.

Anyway, back to work. In post #77 I showed Photo 20 - Engine Guard Mold Prepared

I was able to knock out the base part of the mold shortly after that post; I pretty much didn't do any more work for another 2 months. Needless to say it was just a stretch to get the motorbike on the road by June 1st, without many of these custom bits.

So recently I was able to complete the mold by adding the top cover and a few days ago I pulled out the first article.

Photo 21 - Complete Engine Guard Mold

Photo 22 - Complete Engine Guard Mold

Photo 23 - First Article, shell only on Motorbike

Photo 24 - First Article on Motorbike

The first article is just fiberglass; I wanted to keep it cheap just to test the mold and the process before spending money on the carbon and kevlar material. This one is helping me decide on the trim lines and mounting points. Once I get those set I will make the real deal with my production layup schedule.

In addition to this mold I also need a mold for the bulkhead and another for the left and right mounting brackets. Those will be made in that order once I have the 2nd article in hand.

Anyway, the bike is ridable with the WP suspension front and rear, and the DE projector headlights while I work on the other bits.

I will be pressing ahead with the mounting brackets and bulkhead for the engine guard next. I hope to have the whole engine guard kit completed by the end of July; my schedule is pretty open so I should be able to get it done.

-more later
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #95
sellmeyer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Riding season nearing its end here in Colorado

...well I've enjoyed the riding season this year, or at least the 4-5 months that I've been able to make use of, anyway.

I did get the engine guard mounted with a proper bulkhead and mounting bracket back in July and I have been enjoying the bike since then. Development on the project pretty much ended for the season once the engine guard was in place as I spent my free time riding.

One change that I made this Summer was to dump the Emig handlebar clamp I was using. I didn't like the design as it attached with a bolt from the bottom of the top clamp up into the handlebar clamps; this is backward from the KTM design and presents a safety issue that doesn't otherwise exist. Furthermore, the joker who sold the clamps to me didn't disclose that they wouldn't fit properly in the KTM rubber-insert clamps unless I dumped an important sleeve that goes between the bolt and the rubber inserts. The clamps were simply loose and scary so they were tossed.

I wish I had some pictures of the replacements, but I don't. Anyway, I put the OE clamp back on and added a set of 2" Rox Risers. The result is a higher handlebar position and the ability to move them forward or backward. I like what I have now and they work really well. About the only drawback I've experienced with the ROX Risers is that they allow the handlebar to twist with some harder falls...

...the affect of several falls was cumulative and about a month ago I had to readjust the bars to get them back to center. Over the weekend I took a digger in the soft stuff and came down pretty hard and tweaked the bars with a single fall. I elected for a trailside readjustment after that one. Maybe once I get my act together and can keep the rubber side down this will be less of a problem?

I have since discovered that many of the trails and passes on my side of the elk range are very rocky. The engine guard has taken some big hits and it is still in one piece. I'm pretty happy with it as it is but will make a few mods to it this Winter. Mainly I believe that I can lighten it a bit and I need to work on a proper hatch for the front. Mine is not waterproof because I cheaped out on it at the last minute and I am tired of having to dry out my tools and spare parts after a ride through the streams here.

Here are a few pics from the ride last weekend. We have had snow coming down for about a week now and on Sunday on of my normal routes turned to a really wet and muddy state up high.

Ditry is the word

In a few more weeks I'll be storing the bikes for the Winter and will be turning my attention back to the development of the bike. I seriously need to tackle that fairing task!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #96
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Dude,

how did you relocate the sidestand?
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #97
sellmeyer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatias
Dude,

how did you relocate the sidestand?
The side stand was cut up and recycled into the new one. I basically removed the side stand bracket and created a way to attach it to the centerstand mount. The old side stand is basically reused except that the foot sits at a different angle and the loop is placed higher up on the stand to place it in front of the passenger footpeg.

The springs are on the bottom as before. I felt that someone might want to retain the safety switch, but the more I think about it I don't know anyone who would go the route I have gone and keep the damn thing. I certainly don't have my switch on the bike anymore.

What i don't like about my current unit is that the springs are on the bottom and I feel like the bike needs to be in gear to keep it from rolling and collapsing the side stand. With the front wheel locked to the left the bike won't roll off; with the wheel to the right it can roll under certain circumstances. That being said it never fell over on its own before I started leaving it in first gear.

This winter I'll probably redo it so that i can get the springs on top and out of harms way and to sort the angles a bit so that the bike can be in neutral without risk of falling down.

[edit]
one post-relocation comparison is that with the side stand hanging off the center stand bracket, it is harder to deploy than when its mounted farther forward. I rode my wife's bike a bit recently and noticed how easy it was to deploy her side stand. I've got the loop on mine sitting higher up on the stand in order to clear the rear passenger peg and as a result it takes a bit more effort to get it down. Although it isn't necessary, I've taken to dismounting the bike and deploying the side stand like one would do on the 640ADV.

sellmeyer screwed with this post 11-15-2010 at 09:07 PM
Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #98
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Any recent developments Sellmeyer???
Old 11-24-2011, 04:34 AM   #99
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Just stumbled upon this build

I'm busy with my own build at the moment.
Lots of good info and tips here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatias View Post
See the foto below.

@komatias

I'm sure I've seen this bike in the flesh. Would this be Manny's bike from Auto Alpina?

Some really cool asthetics ideas that I also have for my bike.

Is that an oil cooler in front of the radiator?

Aquatic screwed with this post 11-25-2011 at 07:12 AM
Aquatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #100
Stotty
:-)

Oddometer: 2
Update

Being one of those busy guys without much time to research (unfortunately) did you ever get to the stage where you produced these commercially. I have just broken the headlight glass on my 02 F650GS Dakar and need to do something about it. I really like the idea of dual headlights and have been looking for something, but there is not too much around, asuming that I am looking in the right places of course. I cant event seem to find a singe replacement headlight for the Oz left hand drive scene. Appreciate any input from anyone that might shortcut my searching.
Cheers,
Stotty
Stotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 AM   #101
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
For a BMW replacement 2nd hand try Metropolitan Spares in Sydney

There were also some after market dual headlights at the Motorcycle Expo, see the thread with pics in the Oz regional section
WayneC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #102
Stotty
:-)

Oddometer: 2
Thanks.

Stotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #103
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Any de elopments on this build? I just finished reading the whole thread and I want more ...