ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #1486
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....
 
webmonstro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Portugal
Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
Thanks for the info.

Still sounds though it is doable... but would take a good bit of machine work to revamp the OEM mechanism. Not in my skill set; though maybe someone else with knowledge and tools would consider such a project. Bet it would spawn a good bit of interest from thumper owners of various bikes.
easyer to just drop in a engen from a XTE 600
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #1487
Antiquar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Antiquar's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuswap Rider View Post
Very Nice! How many miles on her?
She's got 20,000 miles. A good amount but the engine still runs well.
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #1488
Bart
Constant Lurker
 
Bart's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Air Transport Central
Oddometer: 2,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgeo View Post
grrrrrrrrrr.... took another 45min to start the bike tonight after getting off work.

So obviously I still not got the "system" down right.

How do you know when the decompression is on? Sure when you kick you know cause no resistance...... but the whole idea is to know this in advance. I dont hear any audible difference in the click sounds from the decompression lever and I cant see any difference in where the lever is sitting.
I am wondering if there is another problem. Dirty carb, pilot screw incorrect or even a bad cdi. Yes there is a system to kick starting but its not that complicated or finicky.
__________________
Originally Posted by Gravity's Dog
"I came to the site for the bikes, and stayed for Jo Momma. I am constantly amazed, revolted, and in love with the ideas I see here. An extreme reflection of the human experience."
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #1489
Antiquar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Antiquar's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 119
So who can advise me about tach repair?

While replacing a broken tachometer cable, I noticed that the actual tachometer drive within the tachometer instrument housing has become detached and spins loose within the instrument housing. I am unable to remove the old tachometer cable as the drive spins with the nut as I attempt to loosen it.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Also, does anyone have a lead on currently available tachometer replacements?

Thanks all! This is the only issue I'm having with my "new" xt550.
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #1490
tyrsmkkyle
off the ground.
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: St louis mo, by the big place with airplanes
Oddometer: 245
Hey all, new here. How is everyone?
I have a 82 xt550. I will put some pics
And vids up once im allowed

tyrsmkkyle screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 07:36 AM Reason: Cuz i can
tyrsmkkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #1491
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Futura's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Oddometer: 127
runs fine then dies

First noticed a problem riding home a hot day a month ago. It sputtered and stalled on a bridge. Had to push it a mile home.

It starts, runs ok for a while then stalls and won't start. I'll let it sit for a day or two, same thing. It would fire up idle for a while then stall and I can't get it started. I've checked every eletrical connection, took the carb off and cleaned it like a pro. Then it wouldnt even fire up. So I left it alone for two weeks and started looking at Sertao's.

Tonight I tried the head gun on the CDI trick. And the bike fired up. Idled for a while. It fooled me and I took it out for ride. Then it died again. I parked it and walked home.

I replaced the CDI last year but I think its a bad CDI again. Thoughts?
Futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #1492
G600
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Iceland
Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura View Post
First noticed a problem riding home a hot day a month ago. It sputtered and stalled on a bridge. Had to push it a mile home.

It starts, runs ok for a while then stalls and won't start. I'll let it sit for a day or two, same thing. It would fire up idle for a while then stall and I can't get it started. I've checked every eletrical connection, took the carb off and cleaned it like a pro. Then it wouldnt even fire up. So I left it alone for two weeks and started looking at Sertao's.

Tonight I tried the head gun on the CDI trick. And the bike fired up. Idled for a while. It fooled me and I took it out for ride. Then it died again. I parked it and walked home.

I replaced the CDI last year but I think its a bad CDI again. Thoughts?
IMHO not likely unless you replaced the CDI with another old genuine Yamaha one.

Unfortunately problems like this can be hard to troubleshoot. But a faulty ignition coil acts just like you are describing. The bike will start, run for a while, then splutter and die. When the ignition coil cools down the bike will start again.

I would check it out first.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #1493
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vudu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: southern sydney, au
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
I replaced the CDI last year but I think its a bad CDI again. Thoughts?
Had a similar problem on my 600. My mech tested it and said the module attached to the stator was "out of spec" Replaced with a second hand stator and has been good for more than a year.
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #1494
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Futura's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Oddometer: 127
Thanks vudu and G600.

I replaced the New Zealand CDI with a new Zealand CDI,

Hopefully it is the coil.
Futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #1495
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Futura's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Oddometer: 127
So I spent the day trying to get the XT to run. I che

I had a spare stator coil so I decided to put that in.

During the removal of the old stator, and after I had taken off the cover, I reached for the grounding wire and moved it back and forth a bit, put my screw driver on the screw head and the wire fell off the screw!

It's running like a top again.

I checked that grounding wire but I guess not aggressively enough, clearly.
Futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #1496
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vudu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: southern sydney, au
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
It's running like a top again.
Good news! Old Yam Ignition electrics can be a bitch.
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #1497
papawhellie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 55
Wanted main jet #124

396-14343-62-00
JET, MAIN #124

Mine is missing. Guess that is why it dies at 2200 RPM
papawhellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #1498
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Futura's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
I want to fit my XT550 with a rack to accommodate soft luggage.

Two Questions

Does anyone have this on their XT550?

Is this company good to deal with?

Anyone feel free to chime in with picture details (how and where)of their XT outfitted with a rack and soft luggage.

I'm impressed with this guy's handiwork.

http://www.tenere.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=807

cheers

Futura screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 02:06 PM
Futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #1499
Kootenay Dean
FN NWBY
 
Kootenay Dean's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Golden, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 2
Starting my new to me XT550

Just got my bike three weeks ago. It took me a week and a giant bruise on the inside of my leg to get it right. Now three kicks after decompression set, starter/choke full on hot or not, and it starts. Have to kick like a dam mule though. Give it all you got from the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I am wondering if there is another problem. Dirty carb, pilot screw incorrect or even a bad cdi. Yes there is a system to kick starting but its not that complicated or finicky.
__________________
Fn Nwby
Kootenay Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #1500
Bart
Constant Lurker
 
Bart's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Air Transport Central
Oddometer: 2,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay Dean View Post
Just got my bike three weeks ago. It took me a week and a giant bruise on the inside of my leg to get it right. Now three kicks after decompression set, starter/choke full on hot or not, and it starts. Have to kick like a dam mule though. Give it all you got from the top.
Good to hear you've got it all figured out. Kick start for the most part is a thing of the past.
__________________
Originally Posted by Gravity's Dog
"I came to the site for the bikes, and stayed for Jo Momma. I am constantly amazed, revolted, and in love with the ideas I see here. An extreme reflection of the human experience."
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014