Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #1531
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I found it and it is replaceable. Have to look in the Oil Pump parts breakout. This is for an 86 xt like I have.

22 583-13113-00-00
SEAT, CHECK BALL
$7.49 $5.54

23 93503-08007-00
BALL
$1.49 $0.98

24 90501-05378-00
SPRING, COMPRESSION
$2.95 $1.94 1

Look Here:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...UMP/parts.html

This is a check ball for the return line to the oil tank. It goes with out saying you have to be careful removing it to not break anything...uh....then why did I just say it....

This is to prevent run back from the line and helps keep the crankcase free of excess oil. I suspect that if the checkball gets dirty, oil will run back. I've heard mention of this elsewhere. I think it just keeps the oil in "check". haha...

Steve

steveloomis screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 04:47 PM
steveloomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #1532
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Steve, that is great

But looking at the lower pic.. do you have a hairline crack in the cover just by the seal?
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #1533
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Hopefully that is just a scratch, may be time to replace the cover...
Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #1534
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Oddometer: 124
So, waddya think?

Thanks, steveloomis. I'll order the parts (and pray I don't booger up the crankcase cover). By the way, it is just a scratch and not a crack. Thanks for the help guys.

P.S. Mine is an '83.

newt_sr screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 10:32 PM
newt_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #1535
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

One is glad to be of service....

I see your's is an 83, is that a late 83, early 84. I think the first year for the 600 was 84. I have one of those too and other than graphics, identical to my 86. What is your serial number range, that is the deciding factor.

Steve
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #1536
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

Engine knock

Can someone here help me identify the knocking sound on my friends XT550. He purchased this bike which sounded good but idle was set higher. When he got home and set the idle slower, he noticed this knocking. I know XT's are a bit noisy but this seems pretty intense. Anyone have a good idea if this is abnormal or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujRgqboyuaE
Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #1537
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Wow! That really sounds bad!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #1538
steveloomis
Gnarly Adventurer

It sounds like clutch rattle, others have said it could be a loose nut on the balancer shaft. I think at the very least the clutch cover must come off as he says the noise is loudest on the right side.

UPDATE:

My friend removed the clutch cover and found the primary gear nut loose. He said that the crank bearing on that side was a bit loose too. He is going to tighten the primary, check everything else for tight and close it up. Rebuild crank etc. this winter he says.

I have to rebuild my 84 this winter due to low compression and who knows what else...

I am thinking about documenting the work with a "good" video. Not a long boring remove every screw video but a highlight, overview and specific points to watch out for. I watched one on youtube and found it to be helpful but missed some important points to watch out for. I hope to do a bit better and be specific. It will be edited by me. Another area of interest for me...

steveloomis screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 11:46 AM
steveloomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #1539
nuncanadamas
Sonntagsfahrer

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeal View Post
Thanks G600, a mechanic friend of mine has just taken it out for a ride and also suggested the exhaust - the 'bad' bike has aftermarket downpipes and muffler which are a bigger bore than originals so also may need to look at the jets - but will swap the standard exhaust from the 'good' bike first...

I really like the stainless steel manifold which is pretty rare on XT550s. Where did you get it?

I remodeled a TT600 manifold to fit my XT550 but it looks a little self made after all.

Cheers,

Nunca
nuncanadamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #1540
longfoot
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Still for sale in Wyoming

Hello all. I have been working my way through this thread and have reached page 65. i still have my 82 XT 550 for sale in Sheridan, Wyoming. I am asking $500 firm for it. The bike is a runner and licensed. I would like to post pictures but do not have a photo bucket account. I love the bike, but never ride it anymore. I have noticed it has the common skip in it at 4000 rpm lately. after sitting in storage for two years, I rode it a bit and pulled the air cleaner cover off. The air cleaner had deteriated to crap. I fugure some of this trash went into the carbs and I have not cleaned them yet. I did replace the air cleaner and plug. Also, the bike has a new battery. I need to ohm out the stator and coil. the CDi is the original. All things considered, I might need to put 2 to 4 hundred bucks in the thing to put it right, then only to put it back in storage. money is tight and i have other projects. The bike deserves a good home with someone who appreciates thes old thumpers. if someone is willing, I'll forward pictures in a PM and they can post them. otherwise, I'll try to sort out how to post them myself. I know Wyoming is remote, but my price seems fair for a bike that just needs a little TLC and a lot more riding. if you have a ruined XT 550 out there, this one could easily replace it.
longfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #1541
longfoot
n00b

82 carb conversion

While I'm waiting to see if anyone wants to drive to Wyoming for my bike, I am looking up parts. I studied the carbs on my bike and I do not believe the conversion kit with the new bowl and the tube fuel transfer was ever installed. All i have on the second stage carb is a round pedistal with a flat flange to the left on it projecting from the bottom. What did the 83 carbs come from the factory with?
Also, I have noted in this thread a problem with the pick up coils. Now it has been a long time since I tore down a motorcycle engine at all. The pick up coils are not on the stator are they? They are on the fixed, imobole magneto are they not? Pleas correct me if I am wrong. If i buy a used stator, i will not get the pick up coils, i think. Has anyone found a source for these coils new?
Has anyone bought the cheaper Belgiun CDI and used it yet? How is it working out?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #1542
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfoot View Post
... Has anyone bought the cheaper Belgiun CDI and used it yet?How is it working out?
I have one from hpi.be. Plug and play, no problems whatsoever.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #1543
longfoot
n00b

Carbs

Thank you Iceland. I just bought a set of carbs on Ebay with the proper upgrade. I'll tear them down and make a good set out of those and my existing carbs.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #1544
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I was recently on a long trip with my bike. On the second and third days, I had some troubles shifting into first gear. I don't think the problem was with the clutch. I had been riding the bike hard, doing a lot of shifting. After a while it seemed to smooth out and now seems to be working okay. I wonder what might have caused this and if I need to adjust or inspect anything. What do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #1545
sharkeysmachines
HusqvaYama XTC 550

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
I was recently on a long trip with my bike. On the second and third days, I had some troubles shifting into first gear. I don't think the problem was with the clutch. I had been riding the bike hard, doing a lot of shifting. After a while it seemed to smooth out and now seems to be working okay. I wonder what might have caused this and if I need to adjust or inspect anything. What do you guys think? Thanks.
It sounds like it maybe related to the shift cams arm. There is a spring to keep pressure on the cam via this arm - so it doesn't flop in/out of gear. Maybe just that spring? Fairly easy to inspect - behind the clutch, under the kick idler on the bottom. Although if it stopped being a concern? ....-
sharkeysmachines is offline   Reply With Quote